Sell Your Old iPhone For Cash!

What's my iPhone worth?
    So what ads is everyone trying to block?
    Any that are intrusive mostly. In apps, I don't mind banner ads that show at the bottom or top as long as they're not animated. Sites in Safari used to show their ads on a sidebar. Now many are simply in your face. It's just nicer without ads. No distractions. Some are sneaky and the adblock apps can't get rid of them.
    02-26-2018 03:47 PM
    Ok, I have not only mentioned it, I described AdGuard Pro, which may be found in the appstore twice! Twice! Lol, really? Stick with what works, there is a learning curve with the app. The dang app blocks ads, trackers, certain fonts like whats contained in googleapis, social site ads, you may select the DNS you’d like to use, filter subscriptions. Did I mention it blocks crap system wide? I recomment you search for AdGuard DNS, sign up for the beta program, install Testflight and have a ball. The guy wanted a good suggestion, I gave it...to a casual user. Well, adblocking, done right, is apparently beyond the scope of these forums, not the casual user. Now read the whole damn post.
    02-26-2018 04:16 PM
    Ok, I have not only mentioned it, I described AdGuard Pro, which may be found in the appstore twice! Twice! Lol, really? Stick with what works, there is a learning curve with the app. The dang app blocks ads, trackers, certain fonts like whats contained in googleapis, social site ads, you may select the DNS you’d like to use, filter subscriptions. Did I mention it blocks crap system wide? I recomment you search for AdGuard DNS, sign up for the beta program, install Testflight and have a ball. The guy wanted a good suggestion, I gave it...to a casual user. Well, adblocking, done right, is apparently beyond the scope of these forums, not the casual user. Now read the whole damn post.
    Hi there. You seem to be getting upset over nothing. Take a moment to review our Community Rules & Guidelines. Not everyone has to agree with your opinion and criticism is something to be expected from an online community such as this.

Please...Lighten up a bit and enjoy iMore!
    02-26-2018 05:35 PM
    I'm sure I'm in the minority BUT I have come to accept ads as a normal part of Web browsing. The sites have to make money to stay around. As long as the ad isn't too intrusive I ignore it.
    Lee_Bo and anony_mouse like this.
    02-26-2018 05:38 PM
    I'm sure I'm in the minority BUT I have come to accept ads as a normal part of Web browsing. The sites have to make money to stay around. As long as the ad isn't too intrusive I ignore it.
    Very true. As much as we hate to admit it there would be no internet without ads.
    02-26-2018 05:40 PM
    No mention in the App Store write up about blocking ads in apps. Only in Safari. I'll give the Pro a look when it goes on sale again. They seem to do that often.
    Lee_Bo and pkcable like this.
    02-26-2018 05:50 PM
    Very true. As much as we hate to admit it there would be no internet without ads.
    There was an internet before them. I remember what it was like before adware took over the internet in the late 90s... Amazing.

The assertion that there would be no internet without ads is a complete falsehood. The internet predates the current as economy, and that economy only exists because people think things are "free," when they aren't.
    scruffypig and wind0ze like this.
    03-29-2018 08:33 PM
    There was an internet before them. I remember what it was like before adware took over the internet in the late 90s... Amazing.

The assertion that there would be no internet without ads is a complete falsehood. The internet predates the current as economy, and that economy only exists because people think things are "free," when they aren't.
    Fair enough. The internet as we know it today wouldn’t exist without ads. We’d be paying directly for services and the innovation that has taken place over the years would have slowed to a crawl.
    Better?
    03-30-2018 05:59 AM
    REV3NTECH seems to be pushing AdGuard Pro very heavily, almost like he may be working for the company that makes it. Nobody shills that hard for an app unless they work for them too. His posts should be removed from this thread as spam.
    Ledsteplin likes this.
    03-30-2018 07:48 AM
    This thread has clearly gotten off topic (myself included). Time to steer things back on course.

Reminder: OP is looking for suggestions for ad blocking apps for iPhone.
    03-30-2018 07:54 AM
    After suggestions in this thread I switched from Crystal to 1Blocker.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    03-30-2018 07:57 AM
    After suggestions in this thread I switched from Crystal to 1Blocker.
    So did I!
    msm0511 likes this.
    03-30-2018 08:14 AM
    I now use Better, because 1Blocker started blocking too much (for example, it prevented images on imore.com posts from being seen), and 1Blocker just didn't have the discrete controls per domain to keep ads blocked yet not block important content as well.
    03-30-2018 09:17 AM
    AdBlock by FutureMindhttps://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/adblock/id691121579?l=en&mt=8
    03-30-2018 06:59 PM
    AdGuard Pro - hands down. I used to use Weblock but its functionality has fallen far behind AdGuard Pro's capabilities. Best of all - you can sign up for their beta testing program and get the app for free while receiving functionality not yet included in the paid version. It's also 100% open source, which is a huge bonus for the privacy/security minded. Both their website and GitHub page have the sign up form to use for the beta program. Customized blocking lists, DNSCrypt - choose from an included list of servers or you can use any server of your choice, public or private, that's not included in the list. Try it out, after all the beta is free. Oh, and blocking is system wide not just limited to a web browser.

EDIT: Change all above “GitHub” references to “Microsoft Code Mining Project”
    Last edited by wind0ze; 06-14-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Microsoft
    05-22-2018 11:50 AM
    Proprietary software is the equivalent of malware. Yes, iOS is proprietary. But that doesn’t mean the apps you use have to be. FOSS apps are readily available in the App Store.

AdBlock by FutureMindhttps://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/adblock/id691121579?l=en&mt=8
    Last edited by wind0ze; 06-14-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Insert quote
    06-14-2018 10:46 AM
    REV3NTECH seems to be pushing AdGuard Pro very heavily, almost like he may be working for the company that makes it. Nobody shills that hard for an app unless they work for them too. His posts should be removed from this thread as spam.
    So all those in here pushing AdBlock and in one case saying they “trust Jennifer” must work for her.
    06-14-2018 10:49 AM
    Fair enough. The internet as we know it today wouldn’t exist without ads. We’d be paying directly for services and the innovation that has taken place over the years would have slowed to a crawl.
    Better?
    Your statement is utterly false. Have you seen your ISP bill lately?
    06-14-2018 10:54 AM
    So all those in here pushing AdBlock and in one case saying they “trust Jennifer” must work for her.
    No need to rehash old arguments. If you have anything of value to add to the conversation please feel free to do so.
    06-14-2018 10:55 AM
    No mention in the App Store write up about blocking ads in apps. Only in Safari. I'll give the Pro a look when it goes on sale again. They seem to do that often.
    Sign up for their beta releases on their website. That way the app costs nothing.
    06-14-2018 10:56 AM
    No need to rehash old arguments. If you have anything of value to add to the conversation please feel free to do so.
    Cool. Apologies. Was browsing through topic again, had some new things to say. I meant no stirring up of arguments.
    06-14-2018 10:59 AM
    Cool. Apologies. Was browsing through topic again, had some new things to say. I meant no stirring up of arguments.
    No worries.
    wind0ze likes this.
    06-14-2018 11:00 AM
    That's for access to the internet. Nothing to do with the content on the internet. AT&T, Comcast, etc. definitely aren't sharing their riches with publishers on the web.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    06-14-2018 03:20 PM
    That's for access to the internet. Nothing to do with the content on the internet. AT&T, Comcast, etc. definitely aren't sharing their riches with publishers on the web.
    Exactly. I can’t see AT&T, or any ISP for that matter, sharing their profits with the rest of the internet. iMore, for example, only exists because of ad revenue regardless of who I pay for internet access. The same can be said for any for-profit web site or social network that doesn’t charge a subscription fee. Ads drive today’s internet.
    msm0511 likes this.
    06-16-2018 05:42 AM
    Exactly. I can’t see AT&T, or any ISP for that matter, sharing their profits with the rest of the internet. iMore, for example, only exists because of ad revenue regardless of who I pay for internet access. The same can be said for any for-profit web site or social network that doesn’t charge a subscription fee. Ads drive today’s internet.
    Ads don't drive today's internet. User ignorance does. Print Magazines and Newspapers probably said the same thing you said :-P We just like the internet better, because it's a lot easier to delete the Ads before we even see the product... The same way people woke up and started getting their news from YouTube, they're already blocking record numbers of YouTube Ads.

Not because I mind Video Ads on YouTube, but because I do mind it when it pauses the Ads (that I'm still forced to finish watching) and pops up a huge window when I mistakenly touch my trackpad with the mouse cursor over the video window, generating a mistaken click.

It's easier to block any and all things than deal with white listing certain websites, especially when these sites use 3rd party advertising networks and opening yourself up to them often means opening yourself up to a lot more. Yes, it means that some "good players" get thrown out with the bad apples, but I'd rather not do the extra work.

The reason why people block ads is because the advertisers have become vulturous and abusive. Also, there have been too many data breeches, leaks, or shady data sharing contracts brought to light. People are distrusting of them, and most sites use 3rd party Ad Networks that they do not control (they're are more controlled by the Networks, Lol).

The idea of a[n auto-playing] video ad on a website being a good idea only registers to someone who is selling video ads at a premium to advertisers. User Experience is secondary to these people. Delayed Ad Loading that pushes content down to hunt for misclick impressions is an obnoxious tactic. Overlay ads with microscopic [x] to close them are obnoxious. Mobile Ads, covering the content, that are wider than the screen (on pages that cannot be zoomed out) and force you to change device orientation to close them are obnoxious.

I am totally okay with sites blocking users with AdBlock. I've run across several since I've started using a Blocker, and I can't even remember the name of the sites. I simply never went back, and forgot about them (quite a few tech blogs do this). Totally okay with this.

Ads being Ads has never been the problem. Most people are okay with advertising. We get it on TV and Radio, all the time, and we don't complain.

The way advertising is done on the internet is a lot more vulturous than anything we have experienced in other mediums, though. Obnoxious, misleading, vulturous, and exploitative advertising is the problem.

And I don't have the time in my life to vet every site on the internet, so I block any and all advertising and simply don't visit sites that block AdBlockers. They need eyeballs. I don't need them.
    Del1701 likes this.
    07-08-2018 10:13 PM
53 123