Hi all,

I am abroad in Europe for 4 months and just picked up a monthly SIM card from “three” wireless. I’m waiting for my old iPhone 6S+ to ship and then I will be putting the 3 sim in my iPhoneX and transferring my Verizon SIM card into my old device.

I’m just wondering what quirks I can expect. I basically want the two phones to mirror each other, but have the 6S+ on WiFi only, so I’m not being charged $10/day for travel pass. (Putting the Verizon sim in there so I can still check text messages/phone calls when they come through).

Has anyone experienced problems doing this? I assume iMessage should be fine, but has anyone experienced issues with contacts not syncing or weird things with text messages or anything?

Thanks for any advice!
    01-30-2018 03:39 AM
    Hi all,

I am abroad in Europe for 4 months and just picked up a monthly SIM card from “three” wireless. I’m waiting for my old iPhone 6S+ to ship and then I will be putting the 3 sim in my iPhoneX and transferring my Verizon SIM card into my old device.

I’m just wondering what quirks I can expect. I basically want the two phones to mirror each other, but have the 6S+ on WiFi only, so I’m not being charged $10/day for travel pass. (Putting the Verizon sim in there so I can still check text messages/phone calls when they come through).

Has anyone experienced problems doing this? I assume iMessage should be fine, but has anyone experienced issues with contacts not syncing or weird things with text messages or anything?

Thanks for any advice!
    My parents have been running this way for years with no issues. 1 apple id 2 different numbers. They’re too old to be remembering 2 different id’s and passcodes.

Cant say Ive ever seen any issues with it.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    01-30-2018 06:45 AM
    FaceTime and iMessage can get quirky, but I believe there are settings on each device to fix that.

Other than that you shouldn't have any problems.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    01-30-2018 08:21 AM
    I have 1 Apple ID shared across 4 iPhones and an iPad and haven’t had any problems that I can recall. With iMessage any message sent to one is seen on all, as I desired. I also forward my main line to whatever other phone I want to use with no problem at all.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    01-30-2018 04:01 PM
    Per the discussion below, unless you have international travel roaming plan enabled for the 6S+, not sure how that phone with a Verizon SIM will be able to receive text messages from the US while you are in Europe. The 6S+ has to be on a mobile network to receive texts. If it's on WiFi then iMessage would work along with other apps like Skype, Hangouts, Messenger, etc.

https://forums.imore.com/ask-questio...ml#post3038294
    01-31-2018 06:11 AM
    So am I basically out of luck on being able to receive texts/calls on my Verizon number abroad if I put the 3 SIM in my X and my Verizon SIM in my 6S+ unless I turn the cell service on?

I do have "travel pass" which charges $10 a day (which is what i've been doing so far) and my phone works identical to how it would in the US - I have my US number and can make/receive calls from it and send SMS text to non-iMessage/iPhone users - the phone just picks up cell service from Vodaphone or O2 or another cell service that is most powerful wherever I am.

The X obviously has this feature, does the 6S+?

What it seems like I'll end up doing is putting the 3 SIM in my X, put the Verizon SIM in my 6S+, keep cellular off and turn cellular on once every couple of weeks, pay the $10 and make sure I haven't missed any important calls/texts for those who can't reach me on iMessage
    01-31-2018 07:22 AM
    Per the discussion below, unless you have international travel roaming plan enabled for the 6S+, not sure how that phone with a Verizon SIM will be able to receive text messages from the US while you are in Europe. The 6S+ has to be on a mobile network to receive texts. If it's on WiFi then iMessage would work along with other apps like Skype, Hangouts, Messenger, etc.
    So am I basically out of luck on being able to receive texts/calls on my Verizon number abroad if I put the 3 SIM in my X and my Verizon SIM in my 6S+ unless I turn the cell service on?

I do have "travel pass" which charges $10 a day (which is what i've been doing so far) and my phone works identical to how it would in the US - I have my US number and can make/receive calls from it and send SMS text to non-iMessage/iPhone users - the phone just picks up cell service from Vodaphone or O2 or another cell service that is most powerful wherever I am.

The X obviously has this feature, does the 6S+?

What it seems like I'll end up doing is putting the 3 SIM in my X, put the Verizon SIM in my 6S+, keep cellular off and turn cellular on once every couple of weeks, pay the $10 and make sure I haven't missed any important calls/texts for those who can't reach me on iMessage
    Yes, you can use the Verizon TravelPass on the 6+ - it goes with the device that has your SIM. The SIM will connect and will receive calls and texts so long as you have voice roaming turned on (settings / cellular / cellular data options / roaming / voice only).

So, Verizon, in addition to the $10/day TravelPass (which, as you know, charges only when you use Verizon services that day), also has a $25/month and a $40/month travel plan that allows access to calls and texts. They charge for each ($1.79/minute and per $0.50 per message sent and $0.05 per message received charges for the $25 plan, 100 minutes included and unlimited received messages and 100 sent messages included with the $40 plan, plus 100 MB of data - which isn't a lot.) However, there is also "pay as you go" pricing that allows you to receive calls at that same price and message costs are also the same as the $25 plan, just no included data, and data is EXPENSIVE, so make sure that mobile data roaming is turned off.) However, you may as well keep TravelPass. It seems that you have this figured out well.

See https://forums.imore.com/e?link=http...token=xtFh1JTt for all of Verizon's international options and costs (I am not 100% sure about Eastern Europe, but, other than that, all of Europe I have been to - UK, Spain, France, Monaco, Italy, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, and Czechia - are in the 140 countries with monthly pricing.)

Also, Verizon offers an app in the App Store called Verizon Messages+ that will allow you to receive messages over WiFi when you don't have data connectivity. You can put that on the iPhone X and receive messages using the app with that as well; it will stay synced with the 6+ so you can use the X for the odd SMS or MMS messages you receive that aren't iMessages.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mess...mUvbUpU3040326
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    01-31-2018 10:06 AM
    Thank you for the write up, that is exactly what I needed to hear! I'm gonna switch the SIM cards tonight (3 SIM in my X, and Verizon SIM (that is currently in my X) into the 6S+) and I'll post if I run into any issues (crossing my fingers it all works out)
    doogald likes this.
    01-31-2018 10:10 AM
    I've been using two iPhones with two different phone numbers for 8 months in the fashion you describe. It has worked well and I haven't had any issues. In iMessage I have chosen to receive all my iMessages for both numbers on both phones but I've kept the "Start New Conversations From" with the respective number of the phone.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    01-31-2018 03:11 PM
    Good info doogald. If SaMaster14 is OK paying to keep the Verizon SIM active, then sounds like what you posted will work. I used that option years ago on a few trips to Ireland (when the Verizon phone I had did not have a removable SIM). In the original post, SaMaster14's goal was not to pay.
    02-01-2018 05:57 AM
    Good info doogald. If SaMaster14 is OK paying to keep the Verizon SIM active, then sounds like what you posted will work. I used that option years ago on a few trips to Ireland (when the Verizon phone I had did not have a removable SIM). In the original post, SaMaster14's goal was not to pay.
    I just didn't want to continue paying $10/day for the travel plan every single day. I'm on a family plan, so I don't mind paying to keep my line active, etc.
    02-01-2018 08:57 AM