Apple admits it slows down older phones. What are your thoughts about it?

Kizzy Catwoman

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
I read an article on Phandroid that claims Apple has admitted to slowing down older phones when they upgrade to the latest versions of iOS. They claim it is to preserve the hardware. But to me it just proves the point that this was never a conspiracy theory after all.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Apple admits it slows down older phones

It’s not “when they upgrade their iOS version”, nor “on older phones”, it’s when the battery starts degrading.
The hardware performance is throttled to maximize what’s left of the battery life aka you’re due to replace it anyway so you might as well take advantage of the situation.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Apple should have added some kind of Pop up warning that battery was low and phone would be slowed if battery was not changed, just my opinion.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

But to me it just proves the point that this was never a conspiracy theory after all.

It only started one year ago (last December, with iOS 10.2), and only with iPhone 6/6+, 6s/6s+, SE, and now 7/7+. Before then the phones were not throttled, but would prematurely shut down when the battery meter read more than 0%.

The "conspiracy" theories are much older than that.

Last edited:

anon(749368)

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Apple admits it slows down older phones

Apple is EVIL and I'm gonna leave for Android as soon as possible. This wasn't don't for the consumer, it was done to force ppl into new devices. If they were doing it for the consumer, they would've told us about it and say that replacing the battery is an option. But they decided to keep it a secret and throttle down the cpu to make ppl think something is wrong with their devices. #EVIL

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Apple is EVIL and I'm gonna leave for Android as soon as possible. This wasn't don't for the consumer, it was done to force ppl into new devices. If they were doing it for the consumer, they would've told us about it and say that replacing the battery is an option. But they decided to keep it a secret and throttle down the cpu to make ppl think something is wrong with their devices. #EVIL

Have fun with your new Android device when you get it.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Enjoy your new Android device...#Evil

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

Obviously you didn’t read the article, you’re an Android troll, or you’re EVIL.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

anon(749368)

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

Obviously you didn’t read the article, you’re an Android troll, or you’re EVIL.

Obviously you're an apple sheep. Ive read this and many other articles and no matter how Apple tries to spin this, the bottom line is that the high road would have been to let ppl know that a simple battery change would fix any issues but they decided to make it so that ppl believe their phones are slow and buy the next thing. Why didn't they put a notice in the software up-to let users know what they're doing? Why? Because #bottomlines

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Enjoy your Android device.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

giphy.gif

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

Obviously you're an apple sheep. Ive read this and many other articles and no matter how Apple tries to spin this, the bottom line is that the high road would have been to let ppl know that a simple battery change would fix any issues but they decided to make it so that ppl believe their phones are slow and buy the next thing. Why didn't they put a notice in the software up-to let users know what they're doing? Why? Because #bottomlines

I love being called an apple troll. Being as how I’ve only owned 1 Apple Device vs many Androids. But if it makes you feel better enjoy your Android.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

Get an app called "Battery Life". It will show you the battery wear level. If you keep your device topped off (wireless charging makes this even easier), the battery will stay in good shape for years or essentially past the useful life of the device. Don't leave it in a car in extreme heat or cold, etc.

If your battery is excessively worn, its peak current output is going to be severely hampered. When a device demands higher peaks, battery voltages can sag low enough to respring the device. The newer builds take battery condition into play and will adjust CPU throttle curves in accordance to prevent random resprings. This will definitely have an impact on performance overall. Its similar to using a battery saver profile on a laptop.

Users with slower devices have reported that changing batteries in those devices did restore performance so there's that.

The only change, IMO, there should be is a pop up notification that would basically tell you that the battery is worn and performance is degraded. Replacing the battery would restore performance.

The idea behind this is, simply, a slow device is better than a device that randomly shuts off or restarts. Apple should just notify the users why.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site

Get an app called "Battery Life". It will show you the battery wear level.

Which one do you recommend? There are two apps named Battery Life by different developers. One is free, the other has an iap.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

Search "battery life" in app store.
The one I have has a green icon with a white "battery" with a lightning symbol in the middle. Next to the icon it reads "Battery Life - check runtimes". The latest version is 2.1.5 and the rating is 4.6 stars. Developer is RBT Digital, LLC.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site

Search "battery life" in app store.
The one I have has a green icon with a white "battery" with a lightning symbol in the middle. Next to the icon it reads "Battery Life - check runtimes". The latest version is 2.1.5 and the rating is 4.6 stars. Developer is RBT Digital, LLC.

Thanks. That's the one I thought it was.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro