Apps in the background slows iOS

shady360

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
So I’ve read article after article, and even support docs directly from Apple that say leaving apps in the background does not slow down your phone. But in my experience this is totally bogus. I’m super OCD about closing apps after I used them and never seem to have issues with my phone running slow, draining battery, etc. My wife and kids though, anytime they hand me their devices ‘cause they’re locked up or lagging, they’ll have like 25 apps open in the background. I’ll close them all and then the phones go back to normal. Anyone else have this experience? And if so, why would Apple and all these other sources say there’s no impact leaving apps open?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
No issues here, rarely close apps now. But I used to always flip them away to close. but not anymore.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
iOS in general and iPhone in particular does not have true multitasking.
This means that once an app is not visible on the screen, it doesn’t fully run in the background. Some even completely stop working.

The few apps that do run in the background are listed in the Settings > General > Background App Refresh section.

That feeling you have is most certainly a placebo effect. Either try beating it or keep doing what you do, there is no winner and no loser here. It is your device and you get to decide how to use it.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I never close apps unless an app itself becomes unresponsive. Phone has always worked great. iOS is designed to have apps “open” in the background, but the phone’s resources only tap into what it needs to which is not most of the apps running in the background.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
No issues here either. I don’t close app at all. Apps aren’t open in the background, unless they are audio apps or apps like that, they are suspended and not running.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I’ve read article after article, and even support docs directly from Apple that say leaving apps in the background does not slow down your phone. But in my experience this is totally bogus. I’m super OCD about closing apps after I used them and never seem to have issues with my phone running slow, draining battery, etc. My wife and kids though, anytime they hand me their devices ‘cause they’re locked up or lagging, they’ll have like 25 apps open in the background. I’ll close them all and then the phones go back to normal. Anyone else have this experience? And if so, why would Apple and all these other sources say there’s no impact leaving apps open?

What they are experiencing is not the norm. Having said that, it doesn’t mean that some of their apps (specifically those that are abnormally ad-based) aren’t hogging the resources and causing the lag.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don’t have issues with open apps either. I always close out Facebook and Facebook owned apps because they aren’t very battery friendly. I also close out Pokémon Go because it doesn’t like to work quickly when left open, so I close it so it refreshes everything when I open it. Otherwise I keep my apps open and don’t have any lagging or slowness.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No issues on my 6s Plus with apps in the background slowing anything down. I get an occasional app to misbehave, and swipe that one app out.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Try changing your habit and utilize the App switching feature and you will find you get a lot more done on your device in a short time

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
It could just be a specific app or apps that your family is using that's causing problems. As @metllicamilitia mentioned FB owned apps are pretty bad about using resources they don't need, and many apps that use location tend to work for a bit in the background. If your family is using several apps close together (Facebook, then SnapChat, then Twitter), maybe these apps are clogging up RAM b/c they all use location data that uses more RAM.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Like the I can be a bit OCD but honestly I can have 15+ apps open in the background on my X and I never see any performance issues. I tend to forget that I have apps open and sometimes they are something I used once that day and forgot about it.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Apps reported in the multitasking view aren’t really “running in background “. Some process may be, but most of them are suspended in a freeze state or even closed.
A specific app could be misbehaving in background, causing the issue you are describing

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Apps reported in the multitasking view aren’t really “running in background “. Some process may be, but most of them are suspended in a freeze state or even closed.
A specific app could be misbehaving in background, causing the issue you are describing

This has been confirmed by  multiple times and yet people still claim they have 20 or so apps running in the background and will continue to “close” every app in the multitasking view. Why? I don’t get it.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
This has been confirmed by  multiple times and yet people still claim they have 20 or so apps running in the background and will continue to “close” every app in the multitasking view. Why? I don’t get it.
Don’t tell me. I think it is mostly about habits, and perceived sensations. My wife keep closing everything every time she use her iPhone. It is verging OCD...

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Apologies, I know the thread is a week or more old, but...

I see people say they're closing out battery intensive apps. I was under the impression that these apps check for updates in the background regardless of whether or not they're sitting in cache. Closing them out only means they'll use more system resources to open them back up again.

I would think leaving them be and allowing them to sit cached like Apple intended would be the wisest choice. Either that, or disable them from running in the background altogether.

Facebook and other battery hogs are always going to be battery hogs. Any app that connects to such a huge social media base has a ton to update. That's the nature of social media.... if it's a successful business it's always going to be refreshing with new posts.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree that closing apps speeds up devices,particularly older ones.My 4S and gen3 iPad both show a marked improvement when running apps and open webpages are closed, my gen 5 not noticeably.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2