For what purpose would I lie?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Over the years, people have insinuated that I have straight up lied about not having the same issues with my iPhone as they are/were having with theirs. There are several of us in this forum whose experience with the iPhone and iOS are similar. On top of that, we pretty much do the same thing in that we are quick to set up our devices as new. I’m quick to tell you that I don’t care what phone you use and whichever you use is your business. I’ve also stated on numerous occasions that it bothers me to see others having problems with their iPhone. Yet, when I tell people that it is my belief that restoring and setting my device as new over the years is what has kept me from having the numerous issues others have reported and that setting up as new is what I recommend that they do, they refuse and choose to believe that I’m lying about my excellent experiences with the iPhone. For what purpose would I lie? Neither iMore or Apple pays me a salary. What are your thoughts about this matter?

jr866gooner

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
You are in an open forum and as such people tend to type furiously behind their keyboards simply to wind people up. You have to take people’s comments with a pinch of salt.

I love the forums I frequent and whilst I dislike it when I have I bad experience I try not to let it spoil my time on the forums.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I’m don’t set my phone up as new as often as you do, but I have a few times. I haven’t experienced any problems normally when updating my iOS.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Last time I’ve set up my iPhone as new was the night before the keynote in June.

I have not had the need to set up as new because I didn’t encounter any issues with the software.

I did, however, had the set up my first gen Watch as new because of some pesky bugs, but that was no real discomfort for me because I was done setting everything up like it was within an hour.

I believe myself to be a power user and like you, it pains me to see other people experiencing the stuff they do.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You are in an open forum and as such people tend to type furiously behind their keyboards simply to wind people up. You have to take people’s comments with a pinch of salt.

I love the forums I frequent and whilst I dislike it when I have I bad experience I try not to let it spoil my time on the forums.

(Laughing).....I love this forum and I’ve been here for years. It takes quite a bit to get me to take something personally. Believe me, the vast majority of those replies go in one ear and out the other....

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
By the way, it’s my strong believe that others classify their issues or inconvenience with iOS too quick as a bug, rather than researching what may cause it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Over the years, people have insinuated that I have straight up lied about not having the same issues with my iPhone as they are/were having with theirs. There are several of us in this forum whose experience with the iPhone and iOS are similar. On top of that, we pretty much do the same thing in that we are quick to set up our devices as new. I’m quick to tell you that I don’t care what phone you use and whichever you use is your business. I’ve also stated on numerous occasions that it bothers me to see others having problems with their iPhone. Yet, when I tell people that it is my belief that restoring and setting my device as new over the years is what has kept me from having the numerous issues others have reported and that setting up as new is what I recommend that they do, they refuse and choose to believe that I’m lying about my excellent experiences with the iPhone. For what purpose would I lie? Neither iMore or Apple pays me a salary. What are your thoughts about this matter?

Quoting. For. Truth.

If I didn't know any better I'd almost believe I sleep-wrote that.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When I got my 6s Plus September 25, 2015, I set it up with the back up from my ancient iPhone 5. Mistake. Two days later I had to restore as new. I haven't restored since. I have a few quirks here and there, but it's most likely because I'm on iOS 10.1.1. Other than battery wear, it performs well most of the time. Just the occasional glitch a hard reset fixes.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have always opted for fresh install and setup, only on my X did I do the transfer setup option. What annoys me most about Apple and the loss of the App store on iTunes is NOT all of the apps I have d/l in the past show up in my app list in the app store on m phone. This is annoying in that I am not getting everything I want or had on my phone. I see no reason to have made it so much more difficult to get apps AND tones on your iPhone.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Last time I’ve set up my iPhone as new was the night before the keynote in June.

I have not had the need to set up as new because I didn’t encounter any issues with the software.

I did, however, had the set up my first gen Watch as new because of some pesky bugs, but that was no real discomfort for me because I was done setting everything up like it was within an hour.

I believe myself to be a power user and like you, it pains me to see other people experiencing the stuff they do.

I’ve always set my new phones up as new. Only bad thing is some games I have to start over again.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
People forget that not all bugs affect all devices or scenarios. There will be people who don’t have all the same bugs as others. However, I do frequently see many people say their device is running “flawlessly” or “no bugs whatsoever,” when there are known bugs in iOS across the board. It doesn’t mean they’re lying, it just means that not everyone notices them, uses the functionality that causes the bug, or it just doesn’t bother them.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I can’t remember the last time I set my devices up as new. I just almost never see any major bugs. Sometimes when I install a new beta I won’t see any bugs for days then they randomly start, and I make note of that in the forum. I haven’t had anyone accuse me of lying about it though. Not yet anyway ha ha.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I too am a firm believer that restoring and setting up as new is a good thing. I don’t do that with the point OS updates, usually and since iOS 9 have done it with the major OS releases.

Though, if I were experiencing something wonky, I would investigate and research the cause and then consider strongly doing a clean new install and go from there.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I think you have to remember that people are very “brave” when at their keyboards, protected by the relative anonymity of the internet. They say things that most wouldn’t dare to say in real life for fear of being punched in the face. In real life, face to face, it’s a pretty big deal to flat out call someone a liar. Even if you’ve caught them red-handed you can expect some sort of challenge back.

I suppose the flip side (and I’m not accusing you of this) is that there is a percentage of the population that is, for whatever reason, very tribal about anything and everything. It could be about their favourite sports team, their favourite band, their choice of operating system, anything really. They’d rather lie (or at least ignore facts) than admit that in a particular instance that their “thing” wasn’t perfect. I don’t get it either. I’m loyal to myself, not to any brand. I tend to like Apple stuff but I’ll call them out when stuff is wrong (here’s looking at you Apple Music playing songs that I’ve already told you that I dislike) because I want it to be better.

I haven’t set up enough iPhones to have a real opinion as to what’s the best thing to do. iOS is now so complex, with so many switches and settings that any one of them could lead to strange behaviour on your device and probably wouldn’t matter how the device was set up. On the whole my iPhones have been pretty solid too and while the OS is mostly fairly solid, there’s also some dumb luck involved that I haven’t encountered one of the combos of settings where things go a little screwy!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I've never had to set up my own as new since being an early user of iPhone going beyond AT&T.

The Apple Store did it to my wife's phone when we were sure her watch problems were the watch itself. That was proven when they finally replaced her watch.

We might have frew problems because we mostly use leading well known quality apps.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the more technically inclined folks know how to work through what others deem bugs or quirks. I typically do fresh installs but I’d be lying if I said I’ve never experienced bugs or issues. They just don’t bother me on the same level they may bother others. Or I’m able to get around or overlook them.

For the most part, my phone just works. But it doesn’t always. And I think some people don’t realize that just because issues make headlines, that doesn’t mean those issues are the norm. Everyone’s experiences vary and everyone’s opinion on how their device works is subjective. I’ve spoken with someone who’s phone closed out of the SMS app after sending a text. This person thought their phone was supposed to do that. So in their mind things were working flawlessly. We are all different.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Some people like to create issues. I will give advice to my friends if they ask and for the most part they will listen
Those complaining on this site like to ruffle up feathers and that’s too bad.
This forum is very helpful.
I came from Android and I always started up as new. I think it’s best way to go.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think I’ve set up my phone as new only once or twice in five years. I rarely have problems. If I do, a reboot takes care of it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro