Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 11.2 Official Release Has Launched

Not to be over dramatic and act like my devices are unusable or anything, but who else thinks iOS 11 is the worst major update Apple has released since iOS 7?

Without question it is the worst in regard to reported issues, but for someone like me who typically set up my device as new with a major iOS update, it’s been great.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Not to be over dramatic and act like my devices are unusable or anything, but who else thinks iOS 11 is the worst major update Apple has released since iOS 7 as far as bugs go?

Not to seem overly Kool-Aid drinker or something, but I haven’t had any major bugs thus far despite my phone practically being glued to my hand.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Not to be over dramatic and act like my devices are unusable or anything, but who else thinks iOS 11 is the worst major update Apple has released since iOS 7 as far as bugs go?

It is, but with all of the huge changes made to the iPad in this release, plus a new UI for the iPhone X, it's probably not surprising that this one is more challenging than other years, when there was no new significant hardware change or radical usability shifts in the platform.

It does make me think that I will wait for at least iOS 12.1 next year before I upgrade, no matter what usability and functionality changes are promised for iOS 12.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

What was the other catastrophic bug?

High Sierra root user exploit. https://www.imore.com/macos-has-root-bug

Catastrophic is not the word I'd use for the iOS 11 December 2nd bug. The root user bug was pretty catastrophic. This respring issue was more annoying for people I am sure than anything. However, both of these bugs sound like they were caused by really stupid coding errors that should have been caught before they were released.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

High Sierra root user exploit. https://www.imore.com/macos-has-root-bug

Catastrophic is not the word I'd use for the iOS 11 December 2nd bug. The root user bug was pretty catastrophic. This respring issue was more annoying for people I am sure than anything. However, both of these bugs sound like they were caused by really stupid coding errors that should have been caught before they were released.

This week only showed that Apple is prepared to own their mistakes and fix it as soon as possible like within a day for the bug on High Sierra and even within mere hours for the December 2nd bug.

This shows strength, not weakness in my opinion.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Not to seem overly Kool-Aid drinker or something, but I haven’t had any major bugs thus far despite my phone practically being glued to my hand.

Sure, but just because you haven't, an objective look at iOS 11 sees that there were patches and releases after 7 days, 14 days, 22 days, 42 days, 51 days, 58 days, and 74 days. That's seven releases in less than two and a half months. There was the dumb calculator bug, a bug for users of the X that stopped responding to presses when the phone got cold, the Exchange account failure to send mail, the letter "i" replacement bug, and now this one.

By contrast, iOS 10 had patches and releases at 10 days, 34 days, 41 days, and 48 days by this time in its release. 4 patches in a month and a half (10.2 came out at the two month mark.)

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

The only bug that really bugged me was the visual voicemail bug and that was a simple fix thanks to other members postings.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Sure, but just because you haven't, an objective look at iOS 11 sees that there were patches and releases after 7 days, 14 days, 22 days, 42 days, 51 days, 58 days, and 74 days. That's seven releases in less than two and a half months. There was the dumb calculator bug, a bug for users of the X that stopped responding to presses when the phone got cold, the Exchange account failure to send mail, the letter "i" replacement bug, and now this one.

By contrast, iOS 10 had patches and releases at 10 days, 34 days, 41 days, and 48 days by this time in its release. 4 patches in a month and a half (10.2 came out at the two month mark.)

My last post in this thread addresses your concerns in this regard.

Personally, I find it a show of strength rather than a sign of weakness that there are more updates.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

This week only showed that Apple is prepared to own their mistakes and fix it as soon as possible like within a day for the bug on High Sierra and even within mere hours for the December 2nd bug.

This shows strength, not weakness in my opinion.
I never said anything about strength or weakness; I said it was a bad week for stupid bugs.

But releasing High Sierra with that bug undetected is not a strength. It's the publicity that is bad for sure. It sure appears bad that the HS bug was well-known enough to show up on Apple's support forums a couple of weeks ago but it took a twitter storm of publicity for Apple to notice and do something about it. (And then the patch they released had to be re-patched because it broke file sharing, so the root user bug actually took two days to patch, and that's two days after it was publicized in a twitter storm of publicity.)

I don't think that the Dec 2 bug was fixed in "mere hours" - Apple has been beta testing 11.2 for weeks and it sure appears that they jumped the release because of the bug, particularly when we learn that the ability to send money with iMessage using Apple Pay is delayed, even though it was touted on the release notes.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

Woke to a an incessantly re-springing iPhone X.... checked software update... aha 11.2... then realized couldn't even have enough time to install due to non-stop re-springs... looked up Rene's twitter to see there was a workaround via disabling notifications (which i did on all apps to be sure)... installing 11.2 now... ****!!!

PS - servers must be getting absolutely hammered this morning... as it's taking a long time...

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
iOS 11.2 Official Release Has Launched

It worked fine for me on iOS 10, but hasn’t worked for me and many others at all on iOS 11.
It just simply doesn’t update, no matter what settings you use.

Same here, stock weather widget doesn’t update regularly. It’s been like this since iOS 11.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Same here, stock weather widget doesn’t update regularly. It’s been like this since iOS 11.

I don’t know what to tell you. When I initially replied in regard to the weather widget, the temp was 73°. As you can see via the screenshot, it is now 80°. The time coincides with the “Now” on the screenshot.

IMG_0104.JPG

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I don’t know what to tell you. When I initially replied in regard to the weather widget, the temp was 73°. As you can see via the screenshot, it is now 80°. The time coincides with the “Now” on the screenshot.

View attachment 120788

It’s now 44 here. As you see the widget has 45. I’ll forget my widget and take your weather!
f539234d6c882ef5328f5075a8aa7c35.jpg

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

No problems with the update updated my iP X and the Wife's iP 7 in 10 minutes.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

IOS 11 has to be one of (if not the most) buggy OS update from apple in a long time. Glad to see an update, but these bugs that are slipping through the cracks aren't a good look for the apple QC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73