Why do you or why don’t you run iOS betas?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just thought I’d throw this out there. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about the latest iPhones and the topic of iOS came up. We started talking about some of the iOS betas that have been released lately. In the past I have run iOS developer or public betas on my iPhones. I didn’t run iOS 11 until beta 11.1 beta 4, then I downloaded and installed beta 11.2 beta 1 and went with that for a few days, then I decided to get on the official 11.1.1. Over the years I’ve enjoyed getting a “sneak peek” and playing around with various betas, and for the most part betas have run fine on my devices. I can’t remember ever having a real problem with any betas. Everyone has their own reasons for jumping on betas. I think most of us here are really into our devices and are “more techy” than the majority of people who are just fine running iOS 10.1 or whatever, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So, I’m just curious, why do you run beta software on your devices or why don’t you.

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I used to do the public betas on both iOS and macOS, but I don't anymore. I decided when I got my 2016 MBP not to run beta because I had more problems with it than iOS. When I got my 7 Plus last year I decided not to put the beta on it as well. I didn't have any major problems with iOS betas, but I decided I wanted to get all the new features of .0 releases at once and stable instead of the buggy nature that betas sometimes give.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Curiosity. At least that's how it started out. I can't even remember the last time I wasn't on a beta build of iOS. iOS 6, perhaps? That's a shame...(laughing)....Excellent question, by the way, Pr1nce.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I do because I’m an early adopter and I like being amongst the first people to see/try a feature

I agree...I like to be on the cutting edge and experience new features. And if a beta is not to my liking, I just restore to the previous from a backup. But I have to say that the 11.2 public betas have been really good.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I run the betas because I’m an infant that needs the latest and greatest yesterday. I’m a very impatient person.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't care so much about having to have the latest greatest. I ran iOS 10 beta to submit bug reports to Apple. That's what betas are for.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I used to run beta's but with the iOS 11 beta, it really turned me off of them. I had more problems than I preferred to deal with. Which is expected because it's beta software so I'm not upset by the experience. I just need more reliability out of my device as of late. So I'd rather a smooth experience and allow myself the chance to use the new features when they're ready rather than jumping in the deep end head first. In addition to that, there really aren't any features that are of interest to me to compel me to run beta software again. iOS 10 was a pretty exciting time in that it offered features I was very interested in. That's not the case now.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm not that intrepid! :D

I'm admittedly curious, which is why I follow the discussion on the forums here, and am content to wait!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow! No one wants to actually beta test the OS! They just want the latest greatest, then complain when things don't go right. LOL

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I’m done beta testing software for free. I’ve tested more software over the last 30 years than you can imagine, both paid and for free. I just want things to work now. I have no time or desire to find problems in other’s code. I have my own code to worry about.

Heck, I just this week got around to installing iOS 11 on my iPhones and iPads. I figured that 11.1.1 is mature enough.

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
With IOS 11, I feel even the final versions are still Betas, I think there are so many problems with Ios 11 that we are all really beta testers, battery was horrid for me.. I am just so glad I was able to get back to 10.3.3 before they stopped signing it, I have no problem with it and for the first time I dont think I will bother installing 11 on my iphone 7

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Call me crazy but I’m not having any major issues with iOS 11. A little glitch here and there but pretty smooth overall.
I run iOS betas on and off because I like to try out new features.