No upgrade

Radu Enea

Nov 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I'm wondering what is happening if I do not upgrade to the next ios and remain to my ios 10 in the next 2-3 years when I upgrade the phone model?

What I assume:
- apps updates no longer
If I'm happy with my apps features in this moment that ok.
- no security updates
If you knew how to browse the internet and download poplar apps that's I don't think that I need security updates.

Please share your thoughts.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
You’ll still have apps updates (but won’t be able to use iOS 11 features).

Apple doesn’t have ‘security updates’ like Android, because it doesn’t need them.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple doesn’t have ‘security updates’ like Android, because it doesn’t need them.
Almost every (if not every) iOS update includes security updates which Apple does not provide to older versions. For example, anybody on iOS 10 or earlier does not have the KRACK security fix, meaning that WPA2 WiFi connections can be hijacked. A minor exploit, because connections that use TLS/SSL still cannot be unencrypted, ad it requires somebody to be close enough to your phone when you are on WiFi to exploit the device, but how many of the apps that you use are you sure use encrypted connections? How can you tell?

There are almost always webkit/Safari updates in iOS patches that will not come to older versions. The risk is generally small, but it's possible for exploits to happen on iOS devices that remain unpatched, and the longer you are unmatched, the more exploits that leave your phone and your data vulnerable just from browsing the web.

For example, a webkit/Safari exploit means that malware on ads on websites that you visit at some point could break the sandbox and access information on your device. The more known exploits, the more vulnerable you will be.

Radu Enea

Nov 13, 2017
Visit site
The only reason that I'm not upgrading because every update add a lag to my phone.
Apps start to load slower, every tap will become slower, consume more battery.
That was happen when I had iphone 4s with ios 9.:rotfl:

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The only reason that I'm not upgrading because every update add a lag to my phone.

Try a fresh restore. As you download new firmware and all apps, media, and app data, that’s what can slow you down.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Which iPhone model are you currently using, if you don’t mind me asking?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Try a fresh restore. As you download new firmware and all apps, media, and app data, that’s what can slow you down.

Doing that will help, however, the older a device is the less comes with an update and will start to slow down simply because the hardware can’t handle it that well. I never really noticed this much myself as I upgrade yearly and always have the newest iPhone. What I can say is that iOS 11 is still running great on my iPad Air 2 though.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I was reluctant to update my iPad mini 4 to iOS 11. I feared it would slow it down. The reality is that it now works better than it did on 10.3.3.

However, I did wait until this week (11.1.1) to update all my stuff. Everything went fine on all devices. iPhone 6s Plus, iPad mini 4, iPad Pro 10.5” and iPad Pro 13”. I also just got an iPhone 8 Plus, but of course it came with 11.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I’ve always updated to the latest iOS on my iPhones without any problems. iOS updates usually always include security updates, as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2