iOS 11.1.1 - Remember when Apple used to make fun of Microsoft?

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yet another patch (sorry....'Software Update') on the current iOS.

For a Company that seems to have OSs in a constant state of Beta Release for the next one, there sure seems to be a lot that gets thru the process to final release these days, then requiring a fix. I mean, its not as if they have to create an OS that works on a vast array of hardware from different manufacturers...

While I appreciate that these 'updates' are an improvement on the bad old days with Apple, where they'd simply ignore or deny there was a problem until the public and Media outcry got too loud, it also seems the Company is a lot sloppier than they used to be, too.

It seems the little company that once asked us to Think Different has been become the monolith they always derided - and are also making what appear to be rushed decisions, fearing what the competition might be offering.

Too bad.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I've been thinking for some time now that Apple rushed iOS 11. I think they ran out of time because they were putting so much into the iPhone X. iOS 10 was far better than 11 so far. It really surprised me that Apple would push something that just wasn't fully developed. I always thought Apple better than that. Only my opinion though.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you really complaining they are releasing bug fixes? You people are incredible

I haven’t commented on this discussion up to this point but I think you’re missing the big picture. I don’t think people are complaining that bugs are being fixed. They’re complaining that iOS 11 feels rushed and half baked, requiring a lot of software updates. It isn’t what we’ve come to expect from Apple.
My take...I don’t think iOS 11 is all that bad. Sure, it isn’t perfect but I’m also still on the developer beta on an iPhone X. An argument can also be made that Apple released some brand new hardware which is always going to require some attention from the software side of things once it’s in the hands of millions of users.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I haven’t commented on this discussion up to this point but I think you’re missing the big picture. I don’t think people are complaining that bugs are being fixed. They’re complaining that iOS 11 feels rushed and half baked, requiring a lot of software updates. It isn’t what we’ve come to expect from Apple.
My take...I don’t think iOS 11 is all that bad. Sure, it isn’t perfect but I’m also still on the developer beta on an iPhone X. An argument can also be made that Apple released some brand new hardware which is always going to require some attention from the software side of things once it’s in the hands of millions of users.
I’d call this selective memory.
Every single new iOS release, and I mean every single one, is followed by this sort of complaining.
In a couple major update most if not all of the bugs are fixed and the user experience improves much, and people forget about complaints.
Just to start again next year...
iOS 11 isn’t worse than 10 or 9 or 8 or 7 at release

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
All in all I’m not seeing too many problems with iOS 11. However, there are bugs present that irritate me at times. The autocorrecting on iOS now is off more than it is on. The App Store doesn’t load for me half the time since the most recent update as well. I do hope they iron out these issues and not just focus on the shiny new things.

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
We are gonna start complaining about iOS 12 the same time next year, after forgetting all about iOS 11 and saying that it was much much smoother.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I will inject a different view. While updates natively contain fixes or patches, could Apple also be prepping its users for the next release? What I mean is, could they also be testing improvements more so that fixes? Remember, the target audience, as a whole, are not beta testers and probably are clueless to their existence. Techies like us are the ones who tend to beta test are more critical of Apple with regard to fixes, patches, etcetera.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I will inject a different view. While updates natively contain fixes or patches, could Apple also be prepping its users for the next release? What I mean is, could they also be testing improvements more so that fixes? Remember, the target audience, as a whole, are not beta testers and probably are clueless to their existence. Techies like us are the ones who tend to beta test are more critical of Apple with regard to fixes, patches, etcetera.

If I were to take a guess, I think that the main problem with buggy initial releases of all version of iOS (and macOS these days, too) is due to the definitive "it has to be ready for September" schedule. Rather than wait for a completely stable release, they have to push out a new version to support whatever functionality is in their new phone release each fall, and Apple prefers that it be a new major version number. Also, perhaps they just do not have enough time to adequately deal with all of the bugs that are reported by beta testers.

On the other hand, if they waited until it was completely bug-free, we'd still be on the initial version of the iPhone OS. These days there is no such thing as bug-free.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I were to take a guess, I think that the main problem with buggy initial releases of all version of iOS (and macOS these days, too) is due to the definitive "it has to be ready for September" schedule. Rather than wait for a completely stable release, they have to push out a new version to support whatever functionality is in their new phone release each fall, and Apple prefers that it be a new major version number. Also, perhaps they just do not have enough time to adequately deal with all of the bugs that are reported by beta testers.

On the other hand, if they waited until it was completely bug-free, we'd still be on the initial version of the iPhone OS. These days there is no such thing as bug-free.

Well-stated, and you could very well be right....

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

That was kind of my tongue-in-cheek response above. How long did it take to get from 10.0 to 10.3.3 and people seem to be expecting 11 to be as stable as it is/was and it's not been out that long. Every tweak can cause something to change, just have to ride it out.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
As I noted in my initial posting, I appreciate that Apple goes so far as to fix problems it - and its users - find these days. And yes, I know that past incarnations of the OS have required patches to fix them and bring them up to what people remember as 'stable'.
But as I (and others above) have also noted, it feels that Apple puts out an OS because 'that's when we always do it', rather than its as close to ready for Primetime as it can be. Because to delay and do it right might mean the competition is 'winning', however briefly.

Again, Apple spends an inordinate amount of time putting the OS thru public Betas for use on an extremely limited range of hardware, and yet we end up finding ourselves with devices often suffering from chronic "You're holding it wrong". And still users find themselves with design issues - text alignment can be off, reply boxes in Message that block the thread you're responding to, stuff like that - while Apple patches the stuff that gain the most Media attention. And pumps out another public Beta to the 'next' version, the day of the current release.

Meanwhile, I see we're up to 11.1.2 now - they say to fix screen freeze up (literally) and a camera issue on the X - yet its been pumped out to all phones with iOS 11 - which suggests to me something else might be 'fixed' as well, and applies to all iOS 11 phones.

Laughing at Microsoft's monthly 'Patch Tuesdays' is not something Apple does much these days...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh