Apple Pay Cash.....Have you set it up yet?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pay Cash.....Have you set it up yet?

AP showed up for me about a half hour from my last post. So it was about 7:30/8 EST
Haven't set it up yet... Not really sure I'll use it much if any at all.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

AP showed up for me about a half hour from my last post. So it was about 7:30/8 EST
Haven't set it up yet... Not really sure I'll use it much if any at all.

I set it up, pretty easy to do. I’m not sure how much I’ll use it either.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site

I set it up between me and my wife’s phone. We both get the same error “can not receive payment sent with Apple Pay at this time”.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I got a pop up notification informing me that it was live. Me and a friend set it up and it works. Anyone know how to decline a request for cash? Or do you just ignore it?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

No:

1) Not using TFA (clunky implementation and not all hardware/software kit is eligible)

2) iPhone 5s

Apple says A compatible device with iOS 11.2 and later or watchOS 4.2 and later but I don't know if it can be done with just the Watch.

As I read that, it looks like just the Watch and 4.2 will work without a compatible phone. But the Watch app isn't showing anything about Apple Pay Cash, just Apple Pay.

Is anybody using APC with just a Watch and not an eligible phone?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Is anybody using APC with just a Watch and not an eligible phone?

No. Frankly, I don't Apple Pay with the watch at all. I much prefer using my iPhone. For one thing, it's a hell of a lot less awkward.

Changing subject, is everyone aware that Apple Pay Cash requires you to verify your account? I wasn't until I read this article on Tidbits.com. If you go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay > Apple Pay Cash and scroll down, if you see "Verify Identity", make sure that you go through those steps (which requires validating your address, birthdate, and last four digits of your SSN.) If you don't verify, the bank that Apple is using for Apple Pay Cash, may close your account, not let you transfer funds until you verify, etc. These are all part of US federal regulation, by the way.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

doogald said:
For one thing, it's a hell of a lot less awkward.

Oh puh-leeeze. It's not at all awkward. I use my Watch all the time. Double click, turn my wrist, tap the Watch on the reader— done. There's nothing awkward about that, and it's a hell of a lot faster than pulling a phone out of a pocket. I've never experienced a situation where using a phone would be remotely less awkward than zero, or faster than using a Watch.

If there's something about your personal situation, that's a different story. But for me it's a piece o' cake, with extra icing.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I just pull my phone out with my finger resting on Touch ID and bring the phone close to the reader with my right (dominant) hand rather than my left (non-dominant) hand. I don't have to twist my wrist, double-click anything, or move my arm close to the reader, which seems to always be more toward the right than the left. But, to each his own.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

Used it for the first time today. Requested payment, and it worked flawlessly. I don't know how often I will use it but it is a handy feature.

The one thing I did find lacking is you can't request money from the watch app, only pay (at least I couldn't find it). I originally only had my debit card setup to use with my watch, and that worked fine for me for Apple pay, but now I had to add it to my phone. If they gave the ability to request money from the watch it would be perfect for me.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

But, to each his own.

Exactly. Every NFC POS reader I've seen so far has the reading area either behind the centrally located display or on the left.

And I'm still not seeing the 'hell of a less awkward' bit in your method. I admit using the Watch could be tricky for the infirm. If awkwardness is going to rear its ugly head at all, it will be having to reach into a pocket in the first place. But, each to his own.

And regarding Apple Pay Cash verification— that's not a requirement to set up APC and most users will/would never have to do it. It only affects large and possible frequent cash transfers. But it's trivial to set up, easier and quicker than the mandatory Two Step Authorization.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

camaroz1985 said:
Used it for the first time today. Requested payment, and it worked flawlessly. I don't know how often I will use it but it is a handy feature.

I'll probably need a new phone before I can use it, but I agree it's handy to have. I'll use it from time to time as I'm usually the one of my group who takes care of getting tickets to events, for one thing. This makes it much easier to settle up. The 'Great! How much do I owe you for that?' is easily dispensed with.

The only hitch is ensuring anybody you might send (or get) 'cash' to (from) has APC set up.

Lee_Bo said:
What is this "cash" thing I keep seeing? LOL

LOL, I carry some cash but not much. A theater near me used to have a ticket machine outside that I could use before the box office opened or for another day, no queueing up required. Now they use Fandango and charge 'convenience' fees. So I carry some cash.

My local Safeway started using Apple Pay but it's been down (for them) the last two times I shopped. I'd like to see it used everywhere I want to be. :D