Weather widget woes

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had issues in iOS 11 (beta or official versions) with the stock weather widget?

I just cannot get it to update properly. Location services are set to “on”, I’ve done the reboot and the reinstall things with no success.

Any solutions? Thanks.

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So, location services is on, but in Settings / Privacy / Location Services - is Weather set to "Always"?

Yes, I forgot to mention that. In theory, it should work. It only occasionally updates instead of every time I slide over to the notification screen. The app itself works properly, as does my  Watch.

Phill_UK

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep. It’s been broken in every iOS 11 version, betas and official. I’ve given up reporting this issue to Apple now as they just seem to ignore it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep. It’s been broken in every iOS 11 version, betas and official. I’ve given up reporting this issue to Apple now as they just seem to ignore it.

It's probably a push issue. Use a 3rd party weather app with a good widget. BeWeather 2 has a nice widget.

d6dcf8478fed89ac720dd07dd2a53bfd.jpg

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes I’ve kind of given up on it too. I’ve been using CARROT⁵ recently. It’s too bad that Apple just doesn’t seem to care.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I haven't used the stock weather app/widget in years ?????? I use Carrot Weather and Weather Atlas for my weather needs.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones, but I've not had any issues with the stock weather app. I run it and BeWeather 2 widgets and they're both fairly close if not identical in readings most of the time. Been on beta 11 since day 1 first on a 6s, and now on 8 Plus. I also run both on my 2017 9.7" iPad and on my watch.

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones, but I've not had any issues with the stock weather app. I run it and BeWeather 2
widgets and they're both fairly close if not identical
in readings most of the time. Been on beta 11
since day 1 first on a 6s, and now on 8 Plus. I also run both on my 2017 9.7" iPad and on my watch.
What settings do you have set for the weather app?

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The only setting I've ever been able to find for it is Celsius, Fahrenheit, and adding cities. It doesn't exist in my phone Settings. When I search it only finds BeWeather.
Actually, I meant what location and other access settings did you use so your weather app updates properly.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Actually, I meant what location and other access settings did you use so your weather app updates properly.

With a few exceptions (like Notifications) just about all of my settings are default. I looked in Locations and it's set to Always, which I believe is the default setting.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Like Sherry_B, every time I look at my weather widget, it is updated. (I don't look at widgets all that often.) However, I get updated weather on my Apple Watch all of the time, too.

I suppose another thing to check is settings / general / background app refresh, make sure that i is turned on for WiFi and cellular data, and also that the Weather app is turned on for background app refresh.

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Everything is set to “on”. Still no success. My  Watch is fine, it’s just the widget that doesn’t work. I’ve filed 6 bug reports since being on 11.1 beta (even though it’s been happening since going from iOS 10. I guess it’s not a priority for Apple.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Everything is set to “on”. Still no success. My  Watch is fine, it’s just the widget that doesn’t work. I’ve filed 6 bug reports since being on 11.1 beta (even though it’s been happening since going from iOS 10. I guess it’s not a priority for Apple.

Have you tried deleting the weather app, then reinstall it and set it up again?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I never had a problem with the weather widget not updating until the last couple of days. I removed the widget then added it back and it’s been fine.

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the whole thing is just frustrating. I’ve never had an issue with apps before, especially Apple apps. Apart from reinstalling iOS, I’ve tried every remedy I can find online without success.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the whole thing is just frustrating. I’ve never had an issue with apps before, especially Apple apps. Apart from reinstalling iOS, I’ve tried every remedy I can find online without success.

I spoke to soon. The weather widget is not updating, frustrating.