Trouble with App Updates...

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Since the debut of iOS 11 (including the public betas), I have had a problem updating two specific apps, Yelp! and Open Table. The updates seem to fully download (the download ring closes) but the "Open" button will not appear, nor does the app update. The only way I can get these apps to update is to do a reset, which will then complete the update. This is happening only with these 2 apps. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both with no change, and it happens on both my iPhone 8 (11.0.3) and my iPad Air 2 (11.0.3). Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions for things to try? Thanks in advance.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I don't use either of those apps, but has the descriptions been updated to include the iOS 11 release? I'm sure they probably have but just wanted to ask.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I had the issue with Yelp. I removed the app from my phone then reinstalled it and it has been fine since.

technobie

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions for things to try? Thanks in advance.

Yep - have the same issue with both (and only) those apps. It's a pain having to uninstall/reinstall them, but that appears to be the only way to have them complete the update.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've just recently started having issues updating Open Table. What I've found with OpenTable that works is doing a hard reset. That seems to start the app installing on it's own. I've deliberately avoided uninstalling, but that was my back up plan if I couldn't get it to install on it's own.

Edited to add: I just now had the same issue with Yelp! I did a hard reset, and then Yelp finally installed. I did get an error message for Yelp, and I tapped try again, and it worked.

Odd... that they both used to be partners. I'm going to fill out feedback on both apps via iTunes.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Here’s the response from Yelp: “OCT 27, 2017 | 01:30PM PDT
Hi,

Thanks for writing to us about this issue. Apple has let us know that the issue will be resolved in the next iOS11 update. Sorry for the inconvenience. See you on Yelp!

Regards,
Quincy
Yelp Support
San Francisco, California”

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Here’s the response from Yelp: “OCT 27, 2017 | 01:30PM PDT
Hi,

Thanks for writing to us about this issue. Apple has let us know that the issue will be resolved in the next iOS11 update. Sorry for the inconvenience. See you on Yelp!

Regards,
Quincy
Yelp Support
San Francisco, California”

I'm sorry, but I've upgraded to 11.1 and the problem is still there! Yelp and Open Table are the only 2 apps that require a delete/reinstall or hard reboot to update. Is there something else I need to do?

R/Ted

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I've upgraded to 11.1 and the problem is still there! Yelp and Open Table are the only 2 apps that require a delete/reinstall or hard reboot to update. Is there something else I need to do?

R/Ted

Have you tried reporting it directly to Yelp or Open Table? I did so by going to the individual app pages in the app store and clicking on support. Yelp responsive where as Open Table wasn't.

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
When on the "updates" tab, try pulling down on the screen, then let go.

But that just lets me know there’s an update. That’s not my issue. The update loads the circle but will not install and show me “open” button. The only way I can complete the update is to delete the 2 apps, reinstall or hard reboot my iPhone 8 to complete the update. These are the only 2 apps that behave this way since iOS 11.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
So [for me] Yelp updated without an issue. I still had an issue with Open Table and sent them a direct message via Twitter. This is their response:

“Hello Annie. We are aware of the issue with the App Store. We are working with Apple on a solution since this occurred since iOS 11 was released. In the meantime, you have found a workaround for it. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have a solution soon. Thank you for your patience and understanding at this time. Have a nice day/weekend.”

Last edited:

Christian Badali

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem with both apps. I even just got the iPhone X and it is still not updating even on new hardware. It is definitely a problem that began with iOS 11

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
2 months later since the OP and a few iOS updates and both apps still do this to me. I don’t really care that I have to delete and redownload but it really shouldn’t be that way. Also yes I’ve sent the issue to both developers and still the same.

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The latest update (I believe it was 11.1.2?) corrected the Open Table/Yelp update problem for me. All app updates are performing fine for me now. It was a pleasant surprise the first time I had to update them.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro