Is there a quicker way to completely turn off Wifi?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Completely turn off Wifi?

The control center came out several years ago. It is not new.

I know that but some toggle action with the latest iteration re-enabled cellular when that didn't occur on past international trips.

I'm not upset or bent out of shape over this. The current version of the OS features discussed are really nice for me. My world is full of a lot of networks, devices and travel.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Minority equals Apple Pencil and Watch users. Trust me, that’s a minority of iPhone users.

And for location services (almost everybody), BT headphones and speakers (more and more people since iPhone 7), AirDrop, AirPlay, handoff (ok, not so many people for those probably).

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

And for location services (almost everybody), BT headphones and speakers (more and more people since iPhone 7), AirDrop, AirPlay, handoff (ok, not so many people for those probably).

I use BT and WiFi every day. Just want to shut them off quickly to save my battery when I’m not connected. Simple as that. 4 months ago, I could do that.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I use BT and WiFi every day. Just want to shut them off quickly to save my battery when I’m not connected. Simple as that. 4 months ago, I could do that.

Saving battery by disabling those radios is exaggerated.

Try it out. You’ll find that you have saved 15 to 30 minutes tops on a 16 hour standby time or 5 minutes on a screen on time.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Respectfully, you don’t seem to understand my complaint.

I understood your complaint.

You must now go through several more steps.

And those steps take what, 4 seconds, maybe 5? Have you tried volunteering in a homeless shelter, or donating some clothing and toys to families who've lost their homes in fires? It might help you see that there are bigger things to worry about than a few seconds to reach an option in a cell phone.

I understand which users this change serves (a minority).

That's your opinion, because you have no access to any real numbers. I see the Apple watch just about everywhere I look. And having to sit in Airports recently, a ton of people with an Apple pencil and tablets. I think the numbers are a lot larger than you think. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean the numbers aren't there. Why continue to put out a product if the number of people buying them is so small. If the numbers weren't there, Apple would discontinue the products.

If this really really really really bothers you, consider upgrading your old phone. Hard pressing the Settings icon takes you right to those (WiFi/Bluetooth) settings. A savings of 2 seconds.

Last edited:

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I understood your complaint.

And those steps take what, 4 seconds, maybe 5? Have you tried volunteering in a homeless shelter, or donating some clothing and toys to families who've lost their homes in fires? It might help you see that there are bigger things to worry about than a few seconds to reach an option in a cell phone.

That's your opinion, because you have no access to any real numbers.

If this really really really really bothers you, consider upgrading your old phone. Hard pressing the Settings icon takes you right to those (WiFi/Bluetooth) settings. A savings of 2 seconds.

You appear to want to put me in my place or something, painting me as a person who doesn’t understand what real problems are. This is an Apple forum, where people discuss such things, and are lucky to have the time to do so.

I’m showing you more respect than you are me. I’ve no interest in a pissing contest. I simply asked for news about a change. I’m quite aware of how important it is, what the alternatives are, and so forth. I’m pretty good at this stuff.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

You appear to want to put me in my place or something, painting me as a person who doesn’t understand what real problems are. This is an Apple forum, where people discuss such things, and are lucky to have the time to do so.

I’m showing you more respect than you are me. I’ve no interest in a pissing contest. I simply asked for news about a change. I’m quite aware of how important it is, what the alternatives are, and so forth. I’m pretty good at this stuff.

And you seem to be under the impression that I'm annoyed with you, or angry, or trying to put you in your place. I'm not. You simply don't agree with what I have to say, which makes you feel like you're being attacked. Calm down, no one is attacking you. Just merely pointing out, or trying to get it across to you, that this change adding a few seconds to get to an option is just not worth complaining about.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

And you seem to be under the impression that I'm annoyed with you, or angry, or trying to put you in your place. I'm not. You simply don't agree with what I have to say, which makes you feel like you're being attacked. Calm down, no one is attacking you. Just merely pointing out, or trying to get it across to you, that this change adding a few seconds to get to an option is just not worth complaining about.

In my previous post, I said I’m well aware of how important it is. I assure you I’m calm. It was clear a couple of pages ago that many of you not only think it’s unimportant, but prefer the change.

For me, they took a function that was good (and bragged about this ability to turn off radios for the iOS 7 release), and removed it. These petty efficiencies are things engineers agonize over. In the context of dorky Internet forums, this is a perfectly acceptable topic.

You times are incorrect from the lock screen. 10 seconds now vs 2 before iOS 11. That’s undesirable to me. I hope they offer the option to set it as it was before for folks like myself. I do use Siri from the lock screen when I can and when it works but it does not always, making it more inelegant.

And telling me to volunteer in a homeless shelter is condescending, no two ways about it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

You times are incorrect from the lock screen. 10 seconds now vs 2 before iOS 11.

Using the stopwatch on my ipad, I timed myself at just at tad under 5 seconds to disable WiFi starting from a black lockscreen.

I think the time difference has a lot to do with you using an older iPhone. I upgraded to the 8 Plus because I could no longer read the smaller screen on my 6s.

Still. 10 seconds. I'm sorry but that's not a lot of time.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Completely turn off Wifi?

Using the stopwatch on my ipad, I timed myself at just at tad under 5 seconds to disable WiFi starting from a black lockscreen.

I think the time difference has a lot to do with you using an older iPhone. I upgraded to the 8 Plus because I could no longer read the smaller screen on my 6s.

Still. 10 seconds. I'm sorry but that's not a lot of time.

...and if someone saved 3 seconds doing it a different way...what were they gonna do with those 3 seconds? Build a school? Lol. I could see if we were talking minutes here but we’re talking seconds. In a day it may take someone, somewhere, a cumulative 30 additional seconds if they feel the urge to molest the setting a lot. I just don’t see the big deal. 🤷🏽 🤷🏽 🤷🏽. I’m not sure how much Apple needs to worry about this one.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

...and if someone saved 3 seconds doing it a different way...what were they gonna do with those 3 seconds? Build a school? Lol. I could see if we were talking minutes here but we’re talking seconds. In a day it may take someone, somewhere, a cumulative 30 additional seconds if they feel the urge to molest the setting a lot. I just don’t see the big deal. ������������ ������������ ������������. I’m not sure how much Apple needs to worry about this one.

100% agree!!

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff. ...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

No need to worry about battery usage. Bluetooth hardly uses any and wifi doesn't use much more than cellular, especially if you have a strong signal.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I believe that "Hey Siri, turn off WiFi (or Bluetooth)" will do this very quickly.

(You can also 3D-touch the settings icon to get quick access to WiFi and Bluetooth to turn off the radios. You can still use the control center to turn 'em back on.)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

No need to worry about battery usage. Bluetooth hardly uses any and wifi doesn't use much more than cellular, especially if you have a strong signal.

But, of course, @edd is talking about turning off WiFi when he is not using it (i.e., driving in the car, walking around town, etc.), so a strong signal is meaningless - it's to turn off the radio when there is no signal.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
IIRC, the September or fall new product release news stated 30+ million watches with later news saying the sales were going strong. The AirPods are big sellers and I thought 25 million is the prediction for this year. Bluetooth speaker and car use is all over. It makes a whole lot of sense to have the changes we’ve seen. If Bluetooth is the minority it’s not for long or most new sales and driving cars made in the last 5+ years.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
IIRC, the September or fall new product release news stated 30+ million watches with later news saying the sales were going strong. The AirPods are big sellers and I thought 25 million is the prediction for this year. Bluetooth speaker and car use is all over. It makes a whole lot of sense to have the changes we’ve seen. If Bluetooth is the minority it’s not for long or most new sales and driving cars made in the last 5+ years.

Agreed.

We have a slew of bluetooth devices in the house; shower speakers, printers, label maker, die cutting machine, stereo receiver, Apple TV 4K, and several more items that I can't think of at the moment that can be used on my iPhone or iPad.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

I let this go earlier, but it is entirely misleading. From the lock screen, it takes 10 seconds. 2 seconds is what it took prior to iOS 11.
I’ve just tested it: 4 seconds being very slow.
We are debating on a non existent issue.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

But, of course, @edd is talking about turning off WiFi when he is not using it (i.e., driving in the car, walking around town, etc.), so a strong signal is meaningless - it's to turn off the radio when there is no signal.

Yeah, but he's not gonna save enough on battery to make any difference.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro