Is there a quicker way to completely turn off Wifi?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Completely turn off Wifi?

So they designed this change for themselves and nerds like them. Not for the majority.

Frankly, I think the VAST majority of people don't know or care if their wifi radio is on or off when it is disconnected and likely don't even know about the control center setting. They want their wifi to connect when it can and that's it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I’d think Apple would want to reassure its customers with solid numbers like that. Haven’t heard anything official. My guess is that the people who changed this are Apple device nerds (of course) who routinely use pencils and watches. So they designed this change for themselves and nerds like them. Not for the majority.

Again, having the choice is fine, but don’t force it down everyone’s throat.

I think Apple knows their current customer base, and going by their own in-house numbers they can see how many have Apple watches or Apple pens connected to their devices. It's those customers that Apple targeted to use that feature. Apparently the numbers are high enough to justify adding the feature.

If you don't want to use the feature you certainly do not have to.

Last edited:

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Edd you aren’t alone on this one. I absolutely despise this update change. It was simple enough to toggle the wifi and BT connections before. And if people wanted to leave them on, then they could have just kept doing it. They didn’t have to go and ruin it for the other people that actually used the control Center for what it’s for!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I don’t pay attention much to security. I know Apple is going to extremes with security.

Agree, that’s why I’m currently using Apple products.
I don’t know enough about the security measures though, that’s why I do what I can as the end user to ensure I don’t get hacked from an unsecured WiFi network.
A small amount of work to prevent a lot of potential harm.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I think Apple knows their current customer base, and going by their own in-house numbers they can see how many have Apple watches or Apple pens connected to their devices. It's those customers that Apple targeted to use that feature. Apparently the numbers are high enough to justify adding the feature.

If you don't want to use the feature you certainly do not have to.

Respectfully, you don’t seem to understand my complaint. Before iOS 11, you could quickly shut down WiFi/BT radios if you wish. Now, you can’t. You must now go through several more steps. I understand which users this change serves (a minority).

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Respectfully, you don’t seem to understand my complaint. Before iOS 11, you could quickly shut down WiFi/BT radios if you wish. Now, you can’t. You must now go through several more steps. I understand which users this change serves (a minority).

I get the complaint but Settings => Wi-Fi is a really fast and simple way to do it.

As the sr IT admin in an enterprise with a lot of Wi-Fi I find the current way to be just fine. The Settings app on home screen as I’ve always had it is pretty much like past versions. The control center is new convenience.

My only complaint in the current version is the new control center has had me inadvertently turn on the cellular radio during international travel so I was hit with my Verizon TravelPass fee on a day I could have spared the $10. That care needed and the steps for what the cellular radio will do is far less convenient.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Who says is a minority ? If you like, you still can completely disable WiFi

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I get the complaint but Settings => Wi-Fi is a really fast and simple way to do it.

As the sr IT admin in an enterprise with a lot of Wi-Fi I find the current way to be just fine. The Settings app on home screen as I’ve always had it is pretty much like past versions. The control center is new convenience.

My only complaint in the current version is the new control center has had me inadvertently turn on the cellular radio during international travel so I was hit with my Verizon TravelPass fee on a day I could have spared the $10. That care needed and the steps for what the cellular radio will do is far less convenient.

The control center came out several years ago. It is not new.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

It takes 5 seconds.
Even less than that...
But I’m under the impression Apple can’t do no right: everything they do is raising complaints.
When you basically have 1 billion customers you can’t please all of them.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Again: who says is a minority ?
You think to know Apple’s numbers better than... Apple ?

No, I don’t think that. Apple appears to be laying the groundwork to make multi-device use more seamless. I understand that. I simply want the choice to set it the way it used to be (4 months ago).

As far as the numbers, you’re under a delusion if you think the majority of iPhone users have either a watch or a friggin pencil. Go out in public and simply turn your head right and left. How many phones do you see vs the other devices?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

No, I don’t think that. Apple appears to be laying the groundwork to make multi-device use more seamless. I understand that. I simply want the choice to set it the way it used to be (4 months ago).

As far as the numbers, you’re under a delusion if you think the majority of iPhone users have either a watch or a friggin pencil. Go out in public and simply turn your head right and left. How many phones do you see vs the other devices?
It’s not just about numbers. It’s about user experience. You still can disable WiFi entirely in about 2 seconds. On the contrary would be quite difficult to keep devices connected in the old way.
The new shortcut is just BETTER.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

The new shortcut is just BETTER.

For you, assuming you’re using the connected devices. Not me. And I want us both to have it the way we’d like. I feel I’m being very clear about that.

And I haven’t even gotten into Apple being borderline deceptive about this change early on and the privacy concerns but those aren’t my primary complaints.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal