Is there a quicker way to completely turn off Wifi?

bsmith0731

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Is there a quicker way to completely turn off Wifi besides going into settings since doing it through the control center is temporary?

0fecbb30d04142fcd5662dc35a4b0cb0.png

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Completely turn off Wifi?

Nope. You have to go through Settings.

It would be nice if Apple would educate users on changes like these. I actually find the new functionality quite useful. Rarely do I need to completely turn off my WiFi or Bluetooth radios. Part of the problem is that users have no idea how the new control center buttons work.

bsmith0731

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

I travel a lot, so there are times Wifi isn’t as strong as the LTE signal. So I use to slide up and cut it off

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Completely turn off Wifi?

I travel a lot, so there are times Wifi isn’t as strong as the LTE signal. So I use to slide up and cut it off

I like that I can disconnect from a particular Bluetooth device without having to disconnect from my Apple Watch. I’ve already done that a few times. That being said it would have been nice if Apple added a force touch gesture to the Control Center widgets with an option to completely disable the Bluetooth and WiFi radios.
There are always going to be times when a new feature or function makes things more difficult instead of more convenient for some users.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Nah OP.
I would say your quicker way would be to hard press the Settings icon and go into the WiFi that way.
That's what I have reverted to doing...
First world problems I know, but I really do miss the ability to do it in the control Center.

torini

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

It seems in iOS11.1, the ability to turn WiFi and Bluetooth off has returned in the control
Centre.

I am on the PB and I had turned off WiFi upon leaving a location where I usually have WiFi on and then returned a few hours later, and it was still off. So I had to turn it back on manually.

I turned off Bluetooth yesterday afternoon and this morning, it is still off. So looks like Apple have returned the functionality in this version.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

It seems in iOS11.1, the ability to turn WiFi and Bluetooth off has returned in the control
Centre.

I am on the PB and I had turned off WiFi upon leaving a location where I usually have WiFi on and then returned a few hours later, and it was still off. So I had to turn it back on manually.

I turned off Bluetooth yesterday afternoon and this morning, it is still off. So looks like Apple have returned the functionality in this version.

I'm not seeing anything different in 11.1 than the way it's been for most of beta 11. When I disable wifi or blue-tooth in the control center, it's not disabled in settings. Unless you meant something else?

bsmith0731

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm not seeing anything different in 11.1 than the way it's been for most of beta 11. When I disable wifi or blue-tooth in the control center, it's not disabled in settings. Unless you meant something else?

It seems like when do hit the Wifi in the Control Center it is temporary.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

It seems like when do hit the Wifi in the Control Center it is temporary.

As annoying as it is for some, Apple meant for it to be this way.

I personally do not find any issues with it. I can disable Bluetooth in the Control Center without cutting off the connection between my iPhone and my Apple Watch. My watch remains connected to my phone via Bluetooth, but nothing else can connect after I've turned it off in the Control Center. I like it this way.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I personally do not find any issues with it. I can disable Bluetooth in the Control Center without cutting off the connection between my iPhone and my Apple Watch. My watch remains connected to my phone via Bluetooth, but nothing else can connect after I've turned it off in the Control Center. I like it this way.

I can see where people who have the Apple Watch may like it. For those of us that don’t it’s a PIA. Seems like they could come up with a way to please both (fingers crossed).

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

So this "feature" is only intended to work with the Apple Watch?
I use a Garmin Fenix and as soon as I toggle the BT in the control Center it disconnects from that as well.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

So this "feature" is only intended to work with the Apple Watch?
I use a Garmin Fenix and as soon as I toggle the BT in the control Center it disconnects from that as well.

I also get an alert from Tile that my trackers are disabled.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I also get an alert from Tile that my trackers are disabled.

Perhaps it's only meant for Apple BT devices to work that way.

On another note; where's the button icon to reply and quote more than one post on a desktop browser.... uggg.

Kizzy Catwoman

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site

I find that if I turn off wifi as soon as I am near a hotspot my phone wifi comes back on and connects to it severing my cellular data connection and terminating the streaming of my radio app. It is seriously annoying when I am around town.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

I find that if I turn off wifi as soon as I am near a hotspot my phone wifi comes back on and connects to it severing my cellular data connection and terminating the streaming of my radio app. It is seriously annoying when I am around town.

Are you going into settings or control panel? Control panel doesn’t shut off WiFi it just disconnects your current connection.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro