• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
    Consider whether or not this is a restriction specific to your iphone model. I believe the hands free Siri option is only available on 6s and beyond models. I think previous to that you must have your iphone plugged in to use Siri hands free. I can enable or disable wifi using Siri hands free from my lockscreen, without having to unlock my phone.
    Perhaps I am missing a setting toggle that option. I will dig around and see what I can find.
    It would be a more convenient to be able to do it truly hands free.
    10-26-2017 03:52 PM
    Perhaps I am missing a setting toggle that option. I will dig around and see what I can find.
    It would be a more convenient to be able to do it truly hands free.
    In Siri & Search this is what I have;
    Listen for Hey Siri - On
    Press Home for Siri - Off
    Allow Siri When Locked - On
    10-26-2017 04:07 PM
    In Siri & Search this is what I have;
    Listen for Hey Siri - On
    Press Home for Siri - Off
    Allow Siri When Locked - On
    Ditto. And it still has me put in my pin whenever I ask to toggle wifi/ BT.
    10-26-2017 04:10 PM
    Ditto. And it still has me put in my pin whenever I ask to toggle wifi/ BT.
    Hrm, lets see. Under Touch ID & Passcode, scroll down and ensure that Siri has access when the phone is locked.
    10-26-2017 04:12 PM
    Hrm, lets see. Under Touch ID & Passcode, scroll down and ensure that Siri has access when the phone is locked.
    Ah, there’s the hiccup.

Siri was enabled. However I don’t have my control centre enabled when my device is locked, which was causing me to unlock the device when i prompted Siri to do it. Which makes sense.
    Don’t know whether or not I will end up leaving it like that.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    10-26-2017 04:17 PM
    Ah, there’s the hiccup.

Siri was enabled. However I don’t have my control centre enabled when my device is locked, which was causing me to unlock the device when i prompted Siri to do it. Which makes sense.
    At least the mystery is solved! It's nice though that you now have a choice of whether or not you want to have it that way. Having a choice is always good.
    vpblaze likes this.
    10-26-2017 04:40 PM
    Ah, there’s the hiccup.

I don’t have Siri or control panel enabled from the lock screen. My iPhone unlocks so fast pressing the home button, it is not that big of a deal to me. I just press the home button to bring up Siri and say “Turn off Wi-Fi.” It happens so fast, it is faster than bringing up the control panel and disconnecting Wi-Fi.
    10-26-2017 08:30 PM
    Are you going into settings or control panel? Control panel doesn’t shut off WiFi it just disconnects your current connection.
    Every time I go through CC it keeps it shut off. The whole temp disconnect never works for me.
    11-13-2017 11:25 AM
    I’m confused with this wifi/bluetooth setting from control center.

The first time I updated to ios 11, it did as per explained (my phone will automatically connect to some particular place’ wifi service which I once connected, but i always disconnect the wifi from the contol center because of the slow speed. Then I got home, my phone will automatically reconnect to my home network).

But after few times update to newest os, it stop, the wifi (which I manually disconnect at that particular place, using control center) won’t reconnect to my home network when I reached home

Today I read some article about new beta os (as per screenshot)

“The current wifi network and OTHERS NEARBY will be disconnected until tomorrow” => meaning wifi network will be disconnected (as well as our other network such as out home network/wifi, will not be reconnect automatically) until tomorrow ? (Wifi will only available for airdrop, personal hotspot, and location accuracy) ??

Same with bluetooth “current connected and others accessories will be disconnected/ won’t be connect, (except applewatch, apple pencil, personal hotspot and handoff) until tomorrow

Anyone can confirm this ? Or my phone is the one which not work normally ?

11-14-2017 02:26 PM
    Venting here. Still hating this change. I consider it the most annoying software update they’ve done. They’ve made it harder to do what I want with the phone. They took a good thing they did with control center in iOS 7 and made it suck in iOS 11.

Is there any news about a fix? God knows they don’t respond to my feedback.
    vpblaze likes this.
    01-13-2018 11:35 AM
    Venting here. Still hating this change. I consider it the most annoying software update they’ve done. They’ve made it harder to do what I want with the phone. They took a good thing they did with control center in iOS 7 and made it suck in iOS 11.

Is there any news about a fix? God knows they don’t respond to my feedback.
    It’s not broken, so there will be no fix.

In my personal opinion, turning of Bluetooth and WiFi does nothing good, so I for one am very happy with this change.
    01-13-2018 11:51 AM
    It’s not broken, so there will be no fix.

In my personal opinion, turning of Bluetooth and WiFi does nothing good, so I for one am very happy with this change.
    To accomplish shutting down these radios, which saves battery life, they’ve at least tripled the amount of clicks. Cool, if some people (certainly a minority) find this change actually useful. The fix should be implementing a choice.
    Last edited by edd; 01-13-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    vpblaze likes this.
    01-13-2018 12:01 PM
    To accomplish shutting down these radios, which saves battery life, they’ve at least tripled the amount of clicks. Cool, if some people (certainly a minority) find this change actually useful. The fix should be implementing a choice.
    In my experience, shutting off WiFi and Bluetooth saves a total of 15 minutes on an average of 8 hours screen on time and 16 hours of standby time.
    15 minutes is, in my opinion, very negligible and not worth the hassle to going through Settings to shut them off.

Especially now since Bluetooth version 5 is available on the newer phones.
    01-13-2018 03:11 PM
    In my experience, shutting off WiFi and Bluetooth saves a total of 15 minutes on an average of 8 hours screen on time and 16 hours of standby time.
    15 minutes is, in my opinion, very negligible and not worth the hassle to going through Settings to shut them off.

I’d think Apple would want to reassure its customers with solid numbers like that. Haven’t heard anything official. My guess is that the people who changed this are Apple device nerds (of course) who routinely use pencils and watches. So they designed this change for themselves and nerds like them. Not for the majority.

Again, having the choice is fine, but don’t force it down everyone’s throat.
    01-13-2018 03:58 PM

But does it improve security?
    I always turn it off because it isn’t that hard.
    01-13-2018 04:25 PM
    So they designed this change for themselves and nerds like them. Not for the majority.
    Frankly, I think the VAST majority of people don't know or care if their wifi radio is on or off when it is disconnected and likely don't even know about the control center setting. They want their wifi to connect when it can and that's it.
    tadpoles and Sherry_B like this.
    01-13-2018 07:05 PM
    But does it improve security?
    I always turn it off because it isn’t that hard.
    I don’t pay attention much to security. I know Apple is going to extremes with security.
    01-13-2018 09:04 PM
    I’d think Apple would want to reassure its customers with solid numbers like that. Haven’t heard anything official. My guess is that the people who changed this are Apple device nerds (of course) who routinely use pencils and watches. So they designed this change for themselves and nerds like them. Not for the majority.

Again, having the choice is fine, but don’t force it down everyone’s throat.
    I think Apple knows their current customer base, and going by their own in-house numbers they can see how many have Apple watches or Apple pens connected to their devices. It's those customers that Apple targeted to use that feature. Apparently the numbers are high enough to justify adding the feature.

If you don't want to use the feature you certainly do not have to.
    Last edited by Sherry_B; 01-13-2018 at 11:36 PM.
    MaxSmarties likes this.
    01-13-2018 10:30 PM
    Edd you aren’t alone on this one. I absolutely despise this update change. It was simple enough to toggle the wifi and BT connections before. And if people wanted to leave them on, then they could have just kept doing it. They didn’t have to go and ruin it for the other people that actually used the control Center for what it’s for!
    01-13-2018 11:25 PM
    I don’t pay attention much to security. I know Apple is going to extremes with security.
    Agree, that’s why I’m currently using Apple products.
    I don’t know enough about the security measures though, that’s why I do what I can as the end user to ensure I don’t get hacked from an unsecured WiFi network.
    A small amount of work to prevent a lot of potential harm.
    djrakowski likes this.
    01-14-2018 07:34 AM
    I think Apple knows their current customer base, and going by their own in-house numbers they can see how many have Apple watches or Apple pens connected to their devices. It's those customers that Apple targeted to use that feature. Apparently the numbers are high enough to justify adding the feature.

If you don't want to use the feature you certainly do not have to.
    Respectfully, you don’t seem to understand my complaint. Before iOS 11, you could quickly shut down WiFi/BT radios if you wish. Now, you can’t. You must now go through several more steps. I understand which users this change serves (a minority).
    01-14-2018 07:37 AM
    Respectfully, you don’t seem to understand my complaint. Before iOS 11, you could quickly shut down WiFi/BT radios if you wish. Now, you can’t. You must now go through several more steps. I understand which users this change serves (a minority).
    I get the complaint but Settings => Wi-Fi is a really fast and simple way to do it.

As the sr IT admin in an enterprise with a lot of Wi-Fi I find the current way to be just fine. The Settings app on home screen as I’ve always had it is pretty much like past versions. The control center is new convenience.

My only complaint in the current version is the new control center has had me inadvertently turn on the cellular radio during international travel so I was hit with my Verizon TravelPass fee on a day I could have spared the $10. That care needed and the steps for what the cellular radio will do is far less convenient.
    01-14-2018 07:48 AM
    Who says is a minority ? If you like, you still can completely disable WiFi
    01-14-2018 07:48 AM
    I get the complaint but Settings => Wi-Fi is a really fast and simple way to do it.

As the sr IT admin in an enterprise with a lot of Wi-Fi I find the current way to be just fine. The Settings app on home screen as I’ve always had it is pretty much like past versions. The control center is new convenience.

My only complaint in the current version is the new control center has had me inadvertently turn on the cellular radio during international travel so I was hit with my Verizon TravelPass fee on a day I could have spared the $10. That care needed and the steps for what the cellular radio will do is far less convenient.
    The control center came out several years ago. It is not new.
    01-14-2018 07:50 AM
    Who says is a minority ? If you like, you still can completely disable WiFi
    Minority equals Apple Pencil and Watch users. Trust me, that’s a minority of iPhone users.
    01-14-2018 07:51 AM
88 1234