iMovie for iOS - Can't export 4k @ 60 fps

Mainer82

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
I have an iPhone 8 Plus with iOS11 and the latest iMovie.

I shot 4 videos in 4K at 60 FPS using HVEC. I created a new project in iMovie, exported in 4k, but the final result is 30 fps.

I followed the directions herewith no success.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I have an iPhone 8 Plus with iOS11 and the latest iMovie.

I shot 4 videos in 4K at 60 FPS using HVEC. I created a new project in iMovie, exported in 4k, but the final result is 30 fps.

I followed the directions herewith no success.

What are you trying to export it to? If you're exporting to a Mac you'll need to make sure that you're running High Sierra, and the latest version of iMovie.

Mainer82

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
I save it to iPHone and select 4K as an export (nothing for 60FPS) and then OneDrive uploads it and then I view it in Windows. It exports @ 4K 30FPS which is not what I want.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I save it to iPHone and select 4K as an export (nothing for 60FPS) and then OneDrive uploads it and then I view it in Windows. It exports @ 4K 30FPS which is not what I want.

I'm wondering if it's a OneDrive limitation or incompatibility issue. I'll try and do some playing around with mine soon and post back. It's also possible that there's something on Apple's side they haven't figured out with HVEC being new to them.

Mainer82

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
I'm wondering if it's a OneDrive limitation or incompatibility issue. I'll try and do some playing around with mine soon and post back. It's also possible that there's something on Apple's side they haven't figured out with HVEC being new to them.

I don't think that it's OneDrive, it uploads my non-iMovie edits in 4K @ 60FPS.

Let me know if you find out anything.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm not sure if this will make any difference, or if you tried it already. There's a setting inside the Me tab of the OneDrive app itself. Me>Settings>Advanced>Upload Most Compatible. Disable that. It should use the new formats Apple is using.

Also, in your iPhone settings app. Settings>Photos>Transfer to Mac or PC. Select keep original. That should ensure you're getting the original video format transferred to One Drive. (That's if your uploading from the Photos app.)

Mainer82

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
I did not know about those options, thank you. It looks like OneDrive was converting .HEIC photos to JPG to my Windows 10 machine (When will Microsoft start supporting that extension?).

I edited the videos in iMovie iOS, used the Save Video option and then had OneDrive Upload the file- it's still in 30FPS. I then tried directly saving to OneDrive and the only option is 1080p.

Your suggestion did solve another problem though, OneDrive does copy the un-edited/non-iMovie edits as in the original video files intact, 4k with 60FPS, however, Premiere Pro would not recognize the video. Using your settings, this corrected that. So I can at least compile the videos, it would just be nice to be able to do "Quick" edits in iMovie and then export. :|

Edit: I copied the iMovie iOS edit to a OS X (High Sierra) computer via AirDrop and exported the video from OSX and it exported at 30fps. At this point I think that it's a bug on Apple's end. At least for now I can make my edits in Premiere Pro. Now we just need Microsoft to support HEIC format for JPGs.

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
When I uploaded directly from iMovie it saved as 1080 in OD for me as well. That was before I found the setting inside the OD app. Using Photos I got it in 4K, but that was before I found the setting in the Photos app as well. I didn't have time to do re-upload using the new settings, so I just passed the info along to see if it helped.

I'm glad it sorta helped. At least you kinda know why it wouldn't work for now. These formats are new to Apple so there's definitely going to be some growing pains. Hopefully Apple will work out the kinks and MS will start supporting the new formats so it'll be easier in the future. But if you've used Apple stuff for a while, working these kinds of kinks out aren't always Apple's strong suit.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73