I believe I have found the iOS 11 battery drain glitch

madman76

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I have noticed that if you turn off "Backgorund App Refresh", if you go to Settings > Twitter, for example, it will still show It turned ON, but un-editable. This is confirmed by my battery usage stats showing "Backgorund Activity" on Twitter draining the vast majority of my battery life.

If you turn "Background App Refresh" ON, then turn it off specifically for Twitter (or whatever other app), and then the whole feature OFF; go back to Settings > Twitter and you'll see it's now off.

Summary: Turning off "Background App Refresh" feature does NOT turn it off for everything as it indicates; you still have to go in and edit it for the specific app.

Since doing this my battery is working beautifully.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that if you turn off "Backgorund App Refresh", if you go to Settings > Twitter, for example, it will still show It turned ON, but un-editable. This is confirmed by my battery usage stats showing "Backgorund Activity" on Twitter draining the vast majority of my battery life.

If you turn "Background App Refresh" ON, then turn it off specifically for Twitter (or whatever other app), and then the whole feature OFF; go back to Settings > Twitter and you'll see it's now off.

Summary: Turning off "Background App Refresh" feature does NOT turn it off for everything as it indicates; you still have to go in and edit it for the specific app.

I asked this question a while ago while on IOS 10. I will try it again because maybe background activity behaves differently in 11.0.1? I shouldn’t have to change my old settings tho every time a freaking update comes out I guess is my problem...sigh..

And to think...I left my Nexus 5 behind because of battery life and reliability lol.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the tip...

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

I've been testing this theory out, as well the past week.
Either off completely or only while set to "WI-FI".
I do believe this helps.

Also, testing Location services/gps even though my apps are set to "While using" to just turning it off OFF. (Turned a feedback in for this) of course with it all off battery life increased b/c its not pinging anything.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that Photos was set up by default to use Cellular Data. Same with Google Photos. So at work this week I've been taking some pictures to capture serial numbers, input into a database, then delete the pictures.

Since cell signal is ok within the building, "Settings\Battery\Battery Usage" was showing Photos with "Low Signal" at times up to 7%. I disabled Cellular Data for the two photos apps, and will see if this helps.

Like with those above, I've set some apps to "While Using" or "Off" for Background and Location Services. Don't know why some of the apps became "enabled" again after restoring from my 6S+. Perhaps recent updates since the restore.

Will see how these two adjustments impact battery life over the next few workweeks.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner