How to download a new iOS update automatically but not install it?

mikapmakinen

Jul 11, 2017
Visit site
My iPad is automatically downloading new iOS updates but not installing them without my prompt. My iPhone (same iOS in both) doesn't download without my prompt. Thus, updating the iPhone takes a lot longer and needs me to check when the download is done and then prompt the installation. Is there a setting to force/prevent automatic iOS downloads? Note: I'm not talking about a specific App but the iOS itself.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’ve never seen the option for automatic software updates. It could be that it asked for your permission to download at night with the approval of your passcode/Touch ID. I might be wrong, hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply soon.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If your iPhone is connected to wifi and on charge and not used for a certain time (mostly during your sleep), it starts downloading the iOS update to the device if you haven’t done this already.
This can take up to 7 days before it does this.

But if you’re anything like me and want to install the update as soon as possible, you will have to download the update yourself.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
This 7 day bit of info is great, I did not know this. I always wondered why my iOS updates never went through automatically but my wife’s did. I don’t have the patience to wait that long lol.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I never update my iPad until it prompts me and I believe that I have waited a few days longer than 7 days. (Well, except that I ran the iOS 11 beta the last couple of weeks, so I had iOS 11 early and I did check for updates.)

But, yeah, it's usually about a week later that I get prompted. Well, we'll see what happens with iOS 11.0.1...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73