Please tell me I can revert all these nonsense UI changes...

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Apple tracking people? Really?

They've already said why they've done this. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086

So, as somebody who once worked in AppleCare, I'm sure that you can imagine lots of non-technical people who used control center to turn off BT in order to disconnect a speaker and discover that their Apple Watch was disconnected, or their Apple Pencil stopped working with their iPad Pro, and couldn't understand why.

I hope that they add some way to turn off the radios from CC for more technical people like us. Long press on the icon? A third toggle as an option? This is obviously a controversial change, and Apple does often alter features in later releases when they've seen that a change is not liked. (Such as adding button shapes as an option in iOS 7.1.)

I never had anyone call in knowing about Airdrop, and I've never personally used it. I honestly never, in 4 years there, got a call (or at least enough to remember) to disconnect from wifi or a BT device. And I'd just tell them to do the "rectangle with a triangle in it" and tap iPhone. I got "why can't I connect?" but never the opposite. Most didn't even know CC existed, let alone how to activate it when I explained it.

Either way, they made a switch not a switch, and made it more complicated to actually turn things off.

Re:tracking, you can't prove a negative. You can take them for their word, but you can't *know* how or what they track. They say they do the fuzzing thing, but without a code audit, they could be lying through their teeth. Arguably, I can't prove it was actually off in iOS10 either, but as you said a long press could easily be used.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I never had anyone call in knowing about Airdrop, and I've never personally used it. I honestly never, in 4 years there, got a call (or at least enough to remember) to disconnect from wifi or a BT device. And I'd just tell them to do the "rectangle with a triangle in it" and tap iPhone. I got "why can't I connect?" but never the opposite. Most didn't even know CC existed, let alone how to activate it when I explained it.

Either way, they made a switch not a switch, and made it more complicated to actually turn things off.

Re:tracking, you can't prove a negative. You can take them for their word, but you can't *know* how or what they track. They say they do the fuzzing thing, but without a code audit, they could be lying through their teeth. Arguably, I can't prove it was actually off in iOS10 either, but as you said a long press could easily be used.

If the change to the way the toggles are working are inconveniencing enough people, they will revert it to the way it used to be.
Until then there is nobody on this forum that can do something about it.

We can go back and forth about this into oblivion, but achieve nothing.

I urge you to submit a feedback through https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p and let them know how you think about the subject.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
These are stupid changes.

This is your opinion.

I enjoy the animations. I prefer the giant text. I don't have the issues you have with haptics. I'll agree that reachability should not have been removed from iPhone 10 simply because there's no Home button. They could of left it in there and allowed us to create a gesture for it, and for all we know that may be a plan at some later date.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Also why no option to stop screenshots from lingering on my screen? I know when I take one, and don't need to edit it right away.

It's like they made the OS for non techies, without the option to turn the kid's gloves off?

How long is the revert window? Hoping the seemingly forced iCloud "upgrade" thing didn't make it incompatible with iOS 10.

I kinda of like the new screenshot. Usually i take screenshot if i want to share to someone, after sent the screenshot, it has option to delete and not stored on my picture folder

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
See here is where someone like me would find this useful. I keep wifi on all the time, because I don't want to have to remember to switch it back on when I get home. However, at my office there is a very poor wifi signal that my iPhone keeps trying to connect to. When it does, I simply toggle the switch in Control Center and it disconnects from only that network. I find this a very useful feature for me. Now I do think it would be in their best interest to implement a 3D touch function that would permanently disable wifi instead of having to switch it off in the settings app though. To appease some people of course.

Yes, it seems strange for apple to change it this way. But as per your experience, i found it useful, because In some area, i turn off my wifi, but always forget to turn it on again. With this new setting, it helps alot :)

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for explaining how *I* feel. You know me, a complete stranger better than I know myself.

These are not things I will ever like. I will have to learn to live with it until there's a jailbreak. Apple likes forcing these things on people. There's no reason for these changes. They're not good, the reachability thing an example that Apple can't code. Regression testing is a basic programming feature.

Another thing they intentionally broke, since it must've had custom code removed, is that widgets used to be there when I brought down the top bar with no notifications. Again, these aren't big, but it's not polished, and all of these could EASILY be a switch, but Apple "knows better" and doesn't want anyone to "think different".

More reason it's for non techies, it's still "onboarding" me for apps I know how to use.

I would be willing to bet that if Apple polled people, they'd say they avoid upgrades because of these changes.

Why are you here? If you dislike it so much, get a different phone. Why are you wasting time blowing up an Apple forum when clearly you dont like Apple.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Why are you here? If you dislike it so much, get a different phone. Why are you wasting time blowing up an Apple forum when clearly you dont like Apple.

Because I like some of what they do? I have my 7+ and my S8+. So apparently someone can't criticize things and like other aspects? What is it like in Pleasantville? (get it? that movie where everything was in black and white but then started getting color because of different views).

Remember the 1984 commercial Apple did? Where they smashed the "think the same" thing? And their slogan was "think different" now I'm being asked to leave for doing so?

And I'm on one thread on this. Bumped a lot consecutively by me because I can't multi reply from the app, but one thread and articles.

I am on the Apple forum because I just updated my 7 from iOS 10 to 11, and didn't some changes so I ask Apple people if I can change them back/if they like them. Should I ask Android Central? I paid a lot for this phone, and think I should be able to comment on it changing.

Feel free to block me, so you can avoid my posts.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
So apparently someone can't criticize things and like other aspects?

There is a difference between corrective criticism and being aggressively critical. Your tone set the precedent here, and when others feel that type of tone they immediately go on the defensive.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Please tell me I can revert all these nonsense UI changes... I realize these may not be major..

Tartarus said:
I feel that the new features and changes are nice.

Your opinion is just that, an opinion. And I disagree. While some of the new features are nice, others I don't care for, such as the mucking with the WF and BT On/Off in Control Center.

Or mandating extra steps now when fewer were needed in prior versions. In every iteration of iOS it seems Apple makes some changes that are wholly unnecessary and involve either a loss of functionality or efficiency. SHM. Sometimes an explanation of Apple's logic mitigates a particular decision but it's often left to others such as Rene or Andy to explain the Why. Even then that may not change the fact that something no longer works in a satisfactory way for someone.

don-nation said:
No one is forcing you to use iOS 11.
chefjayhawk said:
There is Android as an alternative.

Ah, the 'If you don't like it, leave' mentality. God forbid somebody critique the hardware or software.

Apple has made some changes from time to time that are actually based on customer dissatisfaction and input. To dissuade someone from providing that input is a disservice. This is especially true if someone has invested just about any money in Apple's ecosystem.

Tartarus said:

Not helpful. Putting out fire with gasoline. Not very diplomatic. But you knew that.

chefjayhawk said:
1st world problems.

See above.

Tartarus said:
Did you submit a feature request?

This is actually a somewhat helpful response. It might not get anything done, but if enough people see this as an annoyance, Apple could respond, just as they did with the Home Button/Touch ID/Rest to Open situation. It could happen.

Apple Feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p

DarkKnight08 said:
I simply can't understand threads like this one. You apparently can find nothing positive to say about Apple, iPhone or iOS so why not switch...

Well, that's not exactly true, right? Yeah, the guy was a little over the top, but he stated he was venting. Now if this is he modus in every post, I'd agree that maybe another platform would be worth considering.

He may be frustrated, but at the end of the day his observations are no less valid, whether or not I agree with them. While suggesting a different platform there's no mention of this being his typical modus. Sure, if he's a hater he should move on.

Otherwise anybody who isn't happy about some aspect of software or hardware of any platform shouldn't feel awkward (to say the least) about posting their opinion. Being reasonable is appreciated by everyone, and shouldn't mean being in agreement.

Being patronizing and condescending is merely 'handling' and does little to forward genuine discussion.

Moving forward...

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Your opinion is just that, an opinion. And I disagree. While some of the new features are nice, others I don't care for, such as the mucking with the WF and BT On/Off in Control Center.

Or mandating extra steps now when fewer were needed in prior versions. In every iteration of iOS it seems Apple makes some changes that are wholly unnecessary and involve either a loss of functionality or efficiency. SHM. Sometimes an explanation of Apple's logic mitigates a particular decision but it's often left to others such as Rene or Andy to explain the Why. Even then that may not change the fact that something no longer works in a satisfactory way for someone.

Ah, the 'If you don't like it, leave' mentality. God forbid somebody critique the hardware or software.

Apple has made some changes from time to time that are actually based on customer dissatisfaction and input. To dissuade someone from providing that input is a disservice. This is especially true if someone has invested just about any money in Apple's ecosystem.

Not helpful. Putting out fire with gasoline. Not very diplomatic. But you knew that.

See above.

This is actually a somewhat helpful response. It might not get anything done, but if enough people see this as an annoyance, Apple could respond, just as they did with the Home Button/Touch ID/Rest to Open situation. It could happen.

Apple Feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p

Well, that's not exactly true, right? Yeah, the guy was a little over the top, but he stated he was venting. Now if this is he modus in every post, I'd agree that maybe another platform would be worth considering.

He may be frustrated, but at the end of the day his observations are no less valid, whether or not I agree with them. While suggesting a different platform there's no mention of this being his typical modus. Sure, if he's a hater he should move on.

Otherwise anybody who isn't happy about some aspect of software or hardware of any platform shouldn't feel awkward (to say the least) about posting their opinion. Being reasonable is appreciated by everyone, and shouldn't mean being in agreement.

Being patronizing and condescending is merely 'handling' and does little to forward genuine discussion.

Moving forward...

This. I like some of the things Apple does over Android. I like how they focus on doing things more privately and not saying "we see you're at this store, here's a coupon" which is beyond creepy. But there's minor things I've seen since this that I don't know why Apple tweaked. I can *understand* the switches, but I would like the option as that seems logical.

I'm not a fan of the "use Android" line, even though I have both, because most people can't afford to switch after just buying one phone. On top of that, if you bought a car, and the dealership changed the dashboard and frame each oil change, and your favorite blue color and pleather seats were gone, you wouldn't be happy that you just spent $20k on it right?

The last one I'll throw in here, and I may not have had it clear through my venting, "Is Apple still signing downgrades? If so is it still download IPSW, hold Command click Upgrade in iTunes, select IPSW? Also, I did the upgrade iCloud thing because it didn't seem clear to avoid, is that workable with iOS 10?"

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
There is a difference between corrective criticism and being aggressively critical. Your tone set the precedent here, and when others feel that type of tone they immediately go on the defensive.

While that's true, especially for someone who's 'merely' a participant, others who are representatives in a charged with some responsibility should not affect deportment and display 'replying in kind', especially when it's just a matter of tone and not content.

Yes, his post was a little aggressive but he did say he was venting, and sometimes that's helpful. Unnecessarily adopting a defensive posture isn't.

He went on to list his grievances in clear manner. Certainly anyone can express their own opinion on his observations. That should be expected. What shouldn't happen is a representative responding in any manner that exacerbates the situation, especially since no one here can fix it for the OP. Unless they can tell him how to revert.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Listen, a majority of us who frequent this forum understands that Apple products and services will please some people and not please others. We understand that neither the product or service is ‘perfect’. Furthermore, we understand that there will be criticism, no matter what. Where people get annoyed is the perception that just because someone has purchased an Apple product or service that they somehow have a ‘right’ to go into a forum full of people who are mostly pro-Apple and spread excessive disdain under the guise of constructive criticism. No, I am NOT accusing the OP of doing this, but I AM attacking the misconception that you can’t ‘criticize’ anything Apple here at iMore. Some things need to be shared directly with Apple or Apple feedback - not in a Pro-Apple forum, whether iMore or another.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Listen, a majority of us who frequent this forum understands that Apple products and services will please some people and not please others. We understand that neither the product or service is ‘perfect’. Furthermore, we understand that there will be criticism, no matter what. Where people get annoyed is the perception that just because someone has purchased an Apple product or service that they somehow have a ‘right’ to go into a forum full of people who are mostly pro-Apple and spread excessive disdain under the guise of constructive criticism. No, I am NOT accusing the OP of doing this, but I AM attacking the misconception that you can’t ‘criticize’ anything Apple here at iMore. Some things we to be shared directly with Apple or Apple feedback - not in a Pro-Apple forum, whether iMore or another.

Well said!

Last edited by a moderator:

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
This. I like some of the things Apple does over Android. I like how they focus on doing things more privately and not saying "we see you're at this store, here's a coupon" which is beyond creepy.

There are plenty of iPhone apps that do provide location based awareness. Usually there is a way to turn it off or disable it.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of iPhone apps that do provide location based awareness. Usually there is a way to turn it off or disable it.

I was referencing Google's app doing that on Android.

But I've never had that on my iPhone, only my S8, and then only from Google. You don't deny location access when it prompts on first launch? I deny location and notifications by default when an app asks. Even Uber.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

But I've never had that on my iPhone, only my S8, and then only from Google. You don't deny location access when it prompts on first launch? I deny location and notifications by default when an app asks. Even Uber.

I selectively approve or deny access to services based on the app. I want Fantastical to notify me when I have an upcoming appointment or reminder but I couldn’t care less to hear what Angry Birds has to say, for example.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Where people get annoyed is the perception that just because someone has purchased an Apple product or service that they somehow have a ‘right’ to go into a forum full of people who are mostly pro-Apple and spread excessive disdain under the guise of constructive criticism.

2017-04-28 10.51.33.jpg

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
ou don't deny location access when it prompts on first launch? I deny location and notifications by default when an app asks. Even Uber.

Depends on the app. For things like Life 360, it gets full access to not only my location but my location at all times and the ability to keep a history of where I'm at or have been. Other apps like games have no business knowing my location. If they're asking it's due to ads, and I loath those with a fiery passion.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I selectively allow or deny apps my location depending on the app. I allow the Weather Channel app and Be Weather my location and they are constantly updating by my location. A lot of apps now give you the choice of always, only when using the app or never. Starbucks app I sometimes set to always and get notifications when I am in proximity of a Starbucks on my watch.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I selectively allow or deny apps my location depending on the app. I allow the Weather Channel app and Be Weather my location and they are constantly updating by my location. A lot of apps now give you the choice of always, only when using the app or never. Starbucks app I sometimes set to always and get notifications when I am in proximity of a Starbucks on my watch.

I noticed Uber added this in change notes as 11 was launched. Uber made it like it was their idea, not forced by Apple.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner