Please tell me I can revert all these nonsense UI changes...

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I don't like the animations either, but I get motion sickness easily so I turned them off. I also unlocked developer options on my Android phones to speed up the animations. They do seem kind of unnecessarily slow and showy on iOS 11.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for explaining how *I* feel. You know me, a complete stranger better than I know myself.
Cool
There's no reason for these changes. They're not good, the reachability thing an example that Apple can't code. Regression testing is a basic programming feature.
I disagree. You’re opinion is just that, an opinion.
I feel that the new features and changes are nice.

It’s too early to speculate about reachability on the X. It’s not out yet.

Another thing they intentionally broke, since it must've had custom code removed, is that widgets used to be there when I brought down the top bar with no notifications. Again, these aren't big, but it's not polished, and all of these could EASILY be a switch, but Apple "knows better" and doesn't want anyone to "think different".
Did you submit a feature request?

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Your power went out. First world problems. You had a fender bender? First world problems. 99% of the things on this forum are first world problems. I'm not saying these things are the worst thing in the world. I'm commenting on how Apple became worse. I'm not saying this needs more attention than FEMA in Puerto Rico, but I'm talking to an iOS Forum not FEMA.

I simply can't understand threads like this one. You apparently can find nothing positive to say about Apple, iPhone or iOS so why not switch to a different operating system that better fits your needs/wants. Coming into an Apple forum and saying things like the changes are stupid or there is no valid reason for certain changes are just your opinions. I'm not trying to criticize you, I'm just trying to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I simply can't understand threads like this one. You apparently can find nothing positive to say about Apple, iPhone or iOS so why not switch to a different operating system that better fits your needs/wants. Coming into an Apple forum and saying things like the changes are stupid or there is no valid reason for certain changes are just your opinions. I'm not trying to criticize you, I'm just trying to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

So I'll validate you in that I like that Apple let's me force apps to only use location when I use them. Not forcing "always" or "never".

Also the one that I can finally stop being begged to rate apps, although that should've been off from the start, I instantly one star any app that asks for a review more than once.

There's also the regression that the toggles in control center not turning wifi or Bluetooth off according to motherboard and Apple's documentation they just disconnect, not actually turn off.

I've said they're opinions, but when I got calls for Apple, stuff like this was the main reason most people didn't upgrade.

And to the opinion guy, I never intended this to be fact. It is fact that I think it is stupid. And it is fact that I haven't seen any justification for these UI changes. It is also fact that again, most of the people I spoke with working for Apple, didn't want things to change when they upgraded.

I don't see any advantage to a big notice for "messages" or "settings" that was an intentional back step. Same with them onboarding me on apps I know after the upgrade.

I carry two phones actually and my second is Android. That doesn't negate the fact that a device I paid significant money for had features changed/regressed for no reason with no recourse.

Glad someone seems to have said Apple will sign a downgrade. I'm just unsure if I can since they kind of forced me to "upgrade" iCloud, not sure it works with iOS 10. Plus, Apple doesn't bsckport security fixes, so I either have an unsecure phone, or deal with their stupidity.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
While most of what you complain about don't bother me, I do think the BIG titles seem ridiculous and a bit ugly. My biggest complaint with iOS 11 is they made 32 bit apps useless. I have several 32 bit apps I like a lot and can't find suitable replacements for. I'd rather have those apps than the new features and changes with iOS 11. But it is what it is. I'll deal with it next year when I upgrade.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

scotstoun

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
Hello. I was part of the iOS beta program and have generally welcomed it. One very strange problem I have encountered is printing from my iPhone 6 or my iPad pro. If I print a doc in pages or numbers it will come out in a minuscule font in one corner of an A4 page. Same doc can be printed from my MacBook Pro with no problems. Has anybody encountered this problem? The printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8500. No problems printing PDFs.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Reachability is a software thingie. I won’t be surprised if they include it in iOS 11.1 or iOS 11.2

If they don’t, they’ll exclude a lot of people, which will lead in sales drops which in turn will force their hand to include it.

We'll see. I think Apple will be happy to direct people who need reachability to the iPhone 8 series, which supports it just fine. I'm not sure that Apple has the necessary hardware in any of the buttons to allow a double tap of anything to cue a function like reachability, and double-press of the sleep/wake button is already defined to Apple Pay. But, maybe they'll do something like 3D press on the control that you swipe up to go home? I hope they do something - I use it a lot, on a 4.7" sized phone. And with control panel in the top right ear, I think I'd want reachability more.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Also why no option to stop screenshots from lingering on my screen? I know when I take one, and don't need to edit it right away.

It's like they made the OS for non techies, without the option to turn the kid's gloves off?

How long is the revert window? Hoping the seemingly forced iCloud "upgrade" thing didn't make it incompatible with iOS 10.

I actually like this feature. More often than not, when I take a screen shot it is to quickly send to someone. My photo gallery is full of screenshots that I forget to go in and delete. I like being able to send them quick and remove them when they are no longer needed.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I actually like this feature. More often than not, when I take a screen shot it is to quickly send to someone. My photo gallery is full of screenshots that I forget to go in and delete. I like being able to send them quick and remove them when they are no longer needed.

I see the utility, but to me it lingers way too long. Could be a switch. I'm not as angry on that since I see the use, but there could be a switch.

The control center not turning wifi/bluetooth off is also terrible.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I see the utility, but to me it lingers way too long. Could be a switch. I'm not as angry on that since I see the use, but there could be a switch.

I agree that it lingers too much if you don’t need to interact with it, but I swipe it away anyway.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

So don't use Control Center to turn off Wifi or BT, use Siri or set up a Launch button.. it's not that big of a deal, since it addresses other issues and consumer requests for Wifi and BT.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
So I realize this is Apple and mobile but the comparison I'm about to give is still valid. Complaining that a bunch of changes happened between iOS 10 and 11 is like a PC user complaining that Windows 10 doesn't look like Windows 7 or Windows XP. It's a new major version number. Things get revised. Sometimes after a new release they realize things don't quite work in the real world like they were envisioned and the X.n releases fix those up.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
So don't use Control Center to turn off Wifi or BT, use Siri or set up a Launch button.. it's not that big of a deal, since it addresses other issues and consumer requests for Wifi and BT.

Imho, it should also be an option. I know why they'll say they did this, but the privacy guy in me says this may be for tracking or something. Just should make it like long press for actually off.

So I realize this is Apple and mobile but the comparison I'm about to give is still valid. Complaining that a bunch of changes happened between iOS 10 and 11 is like a PC user complaining that Windows 10 doesn't look like Windows 7 or Windows XP. It's a new major version number. Things get revised. Sometimes after a new release they realize things don't quite work in the real world like they were envisioned and the X.n releases fix those up.

I've been following this long enough to know the four times I've seen Apple back step/admit a mistake on iOS. First, charging for iOS 2.0, second, Steve Jobs saying there won't be an app store, third, making the switch on the iPad work for rotation lock, and fourth, volume rocker as a camera shutter.

I can change most things in Windows 10 in some way or another (not their awful telemetry, but that's a different story). These aesthetic changes in iOS are negative, and can and should easily be a switch. And have yet to see a good reason their apps need to tell me which app I'm in. They even ignore the "system haptics" switch that I've had off since ever.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I know why they'll say they did this, but the privacy guy in me says this may be for tracking or something. Just should make it like long press for actually off.

Apple tracking people? Really?

They've already said why they've done this. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086

In iOS 11 and later, when you toggle the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth buttons in Control Center, your device will immediately disconnect from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth accessories. Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will continue to be available, so you can use these important features:
  • AirDrop
  • AirPlay
  • Apple Pencil
  • Apple Watch
  • Continuity features, like Handoff and Instant Hotspot
  • Instant Hotspot
  • Location Services

So, as somebody who once worked in AppleCare, I'm sure that you can imagine lots of non-technical people who used control center to turn off BT in order to disconnect a speaker and discover that their Apple Watch was disconnected, or their Apple Pencil stopped working with their iPad Pro, and couldn't understand why.

I hope that they add some way to turn off the radios from CC for more technical people like us. Long press on the icon? A third toggle as an option? This is obviously a controversial change, and Apple does often alter features in later releases when they've seen that a change is not liked. (Such as adding button shapes as an option in iOS 7.1.)

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

See here is where someone like me would find this useful. I keep wifi on all the time, because I don't want to have to remember to switch it back on when I get home. However, at my office there is a very poor wifi signal that my iPhone keeps trying to connect to. When it does, I simply toggle the switch in Control Center and it disconnects from only that network. I find this a very useful feature for me. Now I do think it would be in their best interest to implement a 3D touch function that would permanently disable wifi instead of having to switch it off in the settings app though. To appease some people of course.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73