Please tell me I can revert all these nonsense UI changes...

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I realize these may not be major, but two minutes in to the upgrade and it's BS, and I don't get why Apple keeps changing things that don't need it. People get used to one thing and then they change it for no good reason. I get why people avoid upgrades.

1) All the motion. I don't need these animations when opening an app. I know about "reduce motion" but I liked the iOS10 motion, this is annoying AF. Really feels slower than before.

2) All the friggin buzzing. I found tap home with no apps open by mistake, and buzzing. I despise buzzing on my phones for anything but calls and notifications.

3) I don't need a giant thing at the top of my messages app telling me I'm in messages. Yes, not major, but what is Apple going for here? People who don't know what app they tapped? I see less messages on my screen now because of this.

I'm sure there'll be more, but what was Apple thinking?

I like the GPS only while using being forced, but don't like these "aesthetics" made by someone on illicit substances (saying in the hopes someone in Cupertino sees this somehow) and would appreciate any way to get my iOS 10 animations, messages, and amount of buzzing back.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Can't edit from mobile:

Apparently that giant "you're in this app" thing is in all Apple apps? It's in settings and everything? Maybe it can't be turned off, but does anyone like it? Does anyone not realize what app they're in? Did that fix anything?

Again, not a big issue, but it annoys tf out of me, and it is wrong, so I want to at least vent if Apple won't fix what they broke.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Further, iMessage forces the "apps" at the bottom? I don't need them further in my face. I guess they thought "no one uses them because they don't see them" not because "people don't want them"?

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Some people call it haptic. I turned off system haptics on iOS10, it's still off, yet Apple ignores the setting. I really only want the haptic when I get a call/text and absolutely without a doubt nothing else ever. Why do they insist on giving the menu option if it does nothing?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Some people call it haptic. I turned off system haptics on iOS10, it's still off, yet Apple ignores the setting. I really only want the haptic when I get a call/text and absolutely without a doubt nothing else ever. Why do they insist on giving the menu option if it does nothing?

(Laughing)....Oh okay. I was like, “buzzing? What part of his phone could be causing a buzzing sound with the exception of it being on vibrate mode.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Also why no option to stop screenshots from lingering on my screen? I know when I take one, and don't need to edit it right away.

It's like they made the OS for non techies, without the option to turn the kid's gloves off?

How long is the revert window? Hoping the seemingly forced iCloud "upgrade" thing didn't make it incompatible with iOS 10.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Like, I get that these are minor issues, but I really think it shows either Apple is really in the "we know better than you/let them eat cake" mindset, or they can't think like "normal" people?

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
(Laughing)....Oh okay. I was like, “buzzing? What part of his phone could be causing a buzzing sound with the exception of it being on vibrate mode.

Yeah, sorry. A lot of venting, but these are issues and I don't get why Apple doesn't give options and makes clearly bad choices.

Steve Jobs spent days obsessing on getting the right color for an icon. Tim seems to focus on making everything uniform, and not focus on the details. He broke things that weren't broke.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, sorry. A lot of venting, but these are issues and I don't get why Apple doesn't give options and makes clearly bad choices.

Steve Jobs spent days obsessing on getting the right color for an icon. Tim seems to focus on making everything uniform, and not focus on the details. He broke things that weren't broke.

I understand, and it’s indeed okay. Just remember that the era of Mr. Jobs is no more.

chefjayhawk

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Also why no option to stop screenshots from lingering on my screen? I know when I take one, and don't need to edit it right away.

It's like they made the OS for non techies, without the option to turn the kid's gloves off?

How long is the revert window? Hoping the seemingly forced iCloud "upgrade" thing didn't make it incompatible with iOS 10.

Swipe it away

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Swipe the screenshot to the left. It removes it from the screen.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Like, I get that these are minor issues, but I really think it shows either Apple is really in the "we know better than you/let them eat cake" mindset, or they can't think like "normal" people?

I disagree.
I have the feeling that you haven’t used your iPhone much yet and still have a lot to discover.
I have been using iOS 11 betas since June and don’t agree with you.
I don’t dismiss your concerns but you’re reaching with most of your posts in this thread.
Take a deep breath and enjoy iOS 11. As with all major iOS updates, this one will also grow on you and you’ll like it again, until iOS 12 drops out

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I disagree.
I have the feeling that you haven’t used your iPhone much yet and still have a lot to discover.
I have been using iOS 11 betas since June and don’t agree with you.
I don’t dismiss your concerns but you’re reaching with most of your posts in this thread.
Take a deep breath and enjoy iOS 11. As with all major iOS updates, this one will also grow on you and you’ll like it again, until iOS 12 drops out

Haven't used 11 much yet or iPhone in general? These are stupid changes. I used to work for Applecare, so I know all about spinning their garbage to gold. I had to spin iOS 6 vs 7 looks, but each version changes the look and feel now. People want something to stick to, and it doesn't need to change each time. iOS 1 -> 6 was relatively stable, just new bells and whistles, now each concurrent version changes things and removes others. Remember when you had quick contacts at the top in multitasking? That was helpful.

There is absolutely zero valid reason that all these animations are needed. To me the phone feels slower doing these animations and I shouldn't need the reduce motion thing to stop it.

I also don't need giant text saying which app I'm in. Let alone haptic. I am sort of tempted to just pop the screen off, and remove the thing and send it to Tim. That's how much I despise my phone vibrating in my hand. That is an option that should respect my "System Haptics" switch being off.

Let's also not forget that each new feature didn't step on the others. From what I've seen, the iPhone X doesn't have the "reachability" feature. Where you double tap there home button to reach the top. This is more relevant with the control center being there. You now have to reposition your hand to get to the switches that are supposed to easy to get to. I've almost dropped my phone repositioning to get to the top of the screen. This isn't a "feature" for the X.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Haven't used 11 much yet or iPhone in general? These are stupid changes. I used to work for Applecare, so I know all about spinning their garbage to gold. I had to spin iOS 6 vs 7 looks, but each version changes the look and feel now. People want something to stick to, and it doesn't need to change each time. iOS 1 -> 6 was relatively stable, just new bells and whistles, now each concurrent version changes things and removes others. Remember when you had quick contacts at the top in multitasking? That was helpful.

There is absolutely zero valid reason that all these animations are needed. To me the phone feels slower doing these animations and I shouldn't need the reduce motion thing to stop it.

I also don't need giant text saying which app I'm in. Let alone haptic. I am sort of tempted to just pop the screen off, and remove the thing and send it to Tim. That's how much I despise my phone vibrating in my hand. That is an option that should respect my "System Haptics" switch being off.

Let's also not forget that each new feature didn't step on the others. From what I've seen, the iPhone X doesn't have the "reachability" feature. Where you double tap there home button to reach the top. This is more relevant with the control center being there. You now have to reposition your hand to get to the switches that are supposed to easy to get to. I've almost dropped my phone repositioning to get to the top of the screen. This isn't a "feature" for the X.

You’re just overwhelmed by iOS 11.

I’m giving you a few days until you’ve cooled off. Those changes won’t bother you us much by then.

I can’t say anything about reachability in the iPhone X.
Guess we’ll know for sure what Apple has done to accommodate people that can’t reach the top. Everything said and suggested now is simply speculation.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
You’re just overwhelmed by iOS 11.

I’m giving you a few days until you’ve cooled off. Those changes won’t bother you us much by then.

I can’t say anything about reachability in the iPhone X.
Guess we’ll know for sure what Apple has done to accommodate people that can’t reach the top. Everything said and suggested now is simply speculation.

Thank you for explaining how *I* feel. You know me, a complete stranger better than I know myself.

These are not things I will ever like. I will have to learn to live with it until there's a jailbreak. Apple likes forcing these things on people. There's no reason for these changes. They're not good, the reachability thing an example that Apple can't code. Regression testing is a basic programming feature.

Another thing they intentionally broke, since it must've had custom code removed, is that widgets used to be there when I brought down the top bar with no notifications. Again, these aren't big, but it's not polished, and all of these could EASILY be a switch, but Apple "knows better" and doesn't want anyone to "think different".

More reason it's for non techies, it's still "onboarding" me for apps I know how to use.

I would be willing to bet that if Apple polled people, they'd say they avoid upgrades because of these changes.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
1st world problems.

Your power went out. First world problems. You had a fender bender? First world problems. 99% of the things on this forum are first world problems. I'm not saying these things are the worst thing in the world. I'm commenting on how Apple became worse. I'm not saying this needs more attention than FEMA in Puerto Rico, but I'm talking to an iOS Forum not FEMA.