Battery Life after iOS 11 Upgrade?

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I feel like this happens to me with each major upgrade (and usually it resolves after a few days), but is anyone else seeing much worse battery life after upgrading?

I'm using an iPhone 7 and I'm losing like 10-15% per hour with no more use than before the upgrade. The phone is also much warmer than usual. I've restarted and closed all apps, but still the same.

Looking in the battery app, nothing seems out of line. The apps I use the most are using the most battery and it doesn't seem any higher than it was with iOS 10.

Anyone else?

I'm getting my 8 Friday, so hopefully soon to be a moot point, but still odd.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes. For some reason, in my case, Safari was using a lot of battery for several days. It rarely did on iOS 9 or iOS 10. I have since reset all of the Safari settings, and turned off preloading "Preload top hit" to see if that helps. I may turn off handoff, in case it's happening because of that when I am looking at web views in apps like Tweetbot.

It seems to be a little better the last 24 hours or so. I'm hoping it settles down; I'm not past doing a complete install from scratch if it doesn't.

(iPhone 6s which had its battery replaced last December, so the battery is less than a year old. I also use a smart battery case most of the time, so I don't worry too much about it - just curious if I can get to the bottom of the issue.)

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I’m not noticing any difference with iOS 11 on my iPhone SE or iPad mini 4. For example, here's the iPad’s time to drop the battery down to 62%. Seems okay to me. (Usage 5:15 hrs, Standby 8:34 hrs, for those who can’t view the attachment.)

Attachments

• FBE8552B-1F55-4679-B433-FE4A58E355F8.jpeg
    FBE8552B-1F55-4679-B433-FE4A58E355F8.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 4

Sicily1918

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
My 7's battery was horrible yesterday, but that's to be expected:
  • Updated around 2pm, battery around 75% from use that day.
  • Plugged into iTunes and did a clean iOS install from DFU mode.
    • I always do a Recovery or DFU install of a new OS.
  • After the update, unplugged it from iTunes/juice.
  • Waited a about an hour and a half for enough stuff (apps and music) to transfer back to the device (pics took much longer, but that's because I was away from WiFi for a while).
  • Had to do quick top-offs to keep from running out of juice until I left it charging overnight.
Today it's better (74% after unplugging at 8:30am; 3pm now), but the new OS has me playing with everything so that's bound to eat up battery life :)

Will check my mom's 6s and wife's 7 tonight and see how they fared (those were standard OTA updates, though).

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
My battery life is terrible too. iPhone 7 Plus. Today for the first time EVER my gadget turned off by lack of energy before I go to bed. Even on my more intense work days that never happened.

Really disappointed.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I feel like this happens to me with each major upgrade (and usually it resolves after a few days), but is anyone else seeing much worse battery life after upgrading?

I'm using an iPhone 7 and I'm losing like 10-15% per hour with no more use than before the upgrade. The phone is also much warmer than usual. I've restarted and closed all apps, but still the same.

Looking in the battery app, nothing seems out of line. The apps I use the most are using the most battery and it doesn't seem any higher than it was with iOS 10.

Anyone else?

I'm getting my 8 Friday, so hopefully soon to be a moot point, but still odd.

No. My battery life is basically the same - Excellent. . I don’t know how it will be with the iPhone 8, but I’ll know after I get it on Friday and after having used it over the weekend. I expect to have excellent battery life with it, too, but we’ll see.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
My battery is the same as 10.3.3 on my red 7+. Which is to say the best battery life I’ve gotten on a smartphone since my blackberry 9700.

iPh6ne6

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Yep, mine has been a lot worse on my 7.

Even through Beta it was bad, thought it'd settle down after installing the GM version.

I even did the whole fresh install thing through iTunes despite firmly believing it makes no difference - and I am right in believing so.

After unplugging at 7:30, it's now 14:45 and I'm on 57% with very moderate use with no notable apps showing as using excessive battery.

I was well happy with my 7's battery until iOS11 - I'd easily get through a day on a full charge. Now by 7pm I'm having to plug it in to get me through the evening.

I have a year until I can upgrade so it's going to be very frustrating.

Blackcash

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm noticing my battery is draining faster on my 7plus with iOS 11. I had great battery life with 10.3.3.
When I check battery usage, it's the same as before.

I've done a couple of reboots to see if that helps. I'll give it a week and see if it changes.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
After major OS upgrade etc, there are a few things that are being adjusted behind the scene,most notably a spotlight indexing, which constantly uses up the cpu time for even a few days depending on how much data you have in your phone. In iOS 11, a new file system was introduced, which I suppose requires another indexing. If you have iCloud Drive or OneDrive etc, they take a long time to reindex. All these takes a toll in battery life, but should subside in a few days. At least that's my experience.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
After major OS upgrade etc, there are a few things that are being adjusted behind the scene,most notably a spotlight indexing, which constantly uses up the cpu time for even a few days depending on how much data you have in your phone. In iOS 11, a new file system was introduced, which I suppose requires another indexing. If you have iCloud Drive or OneDrive etc, they take a long time to reindex. All these takes a toll in battery life, but should subside in a few days. At least that's my experience.

Thanks for this. I'm going to give it another week before I do a factory data reset in hopes that the battery life improves.

InTheRed

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Good explanation. My first full day with 11 got me drained down to 6% by 5pm with light use. I think it was better since, but I’ve been leaving it plugged in the entire time.

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I have another thought:

I noticed that some calls sounded different, maybe better, definitely different after updating to iOS 11. Experienced the same sound on my old 7 and my new iPhone 8 (on which the battery life hasn't been great so far, either).

I realized that Voice over LTE was turned on. I turned it off and will see if that makes a difference.

Has anyone else noticed this or played with the setting?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
My battery life was awesome before iOS 11. But on 11 it’s not so great. I never really paid attention to what my apps used because my battery life was awesome. I could be calling it a night and be at 60% last night 22%. Ugh
And I had to recharge in the day otherwise wouldn’t had even been at 22%
I looked at my apps. Facebook using 24% and YouTube 22%. Ouch
So I turned off location and refresh app on those and we will see if helps
Other apps at 1 or 2%

So check your apps. Can be a culprit

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
My battery life hasn't been so hot either. Seems apps are running in the background more.
Have also noticed that if I spend any longer then 5 minutes consistently on my device, it starts to get rather hot.
Might try a reset next week and see if that helps at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen