Battery Life after iOS 11 Upgrade?

madman76

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Did you back up your phone before updating. Can’t you go back down to 10?

Yeah I could. But I realized iOS 11 default setting for email it push/fetch automatically- which is a battery drainer. I turned that off and so far today battery seems much better. “So far” lol

spiff_p239

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Before I got my iPhone 8 (yesterday), my iPhone 7 experiences the same thing for a few days, maybe a week. However, it seemed to find its rhythm again and battery life returned to normal. I have to say that my iPhone 8 has amazing battery life, though.

iPh6ne6

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Wiped and restored again.

Battery life is so bad it’s actually starting to really irritate me.

I’ve had iOS 11 GM for nearly two weeks now - nothing improves.

I am on 11.0.1 now

Moderate usage while at work, probably a good 30-40% extra I am using per day now while requires me to charge twice as I used to have to when I had an iPhone 6.

Having to contemplate buying a battery case :(

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I could. But I realized iOS 11 default setting for email it push/fetch automatically- which is a battery drainer. I turned that off and so far today battery seems much better. “So far” lol

Ahhh. Winning. Very happy for your improved battery life. Nothing is more annoying then having a great phone you can’t use all day.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I dont see any significant battery usage on the 8 plus or the 7 plus. I have been on all of the betas and the public releases and have been ok.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Wiped and restored again.

Battery life is so bad it’s actually starting to really irritate me.

I’ve had iOS 11 GM for nearly two weeks now - nothing improves.

I am on 11.0.1 now

Moderate usage while at work, probably a good 30-40% extra I am using per day now while requires me to charge twice as I used to have to when I had an iPhone 6.

Having to contemplate buying a battery case :(

Have you tried swiping the apps out of multitasking? Are you using the same apps after restoring? There may be one or more apps causing this. Add them back one at a time and see what happens.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have the 7 Plus and it really depends on the day and the usage. The phone comes off the charger at 7am when I leave the house and after the upgrade I'm gotten home (6pm-ish) with 50% battery and sometimes it's been 10% battery. Just depends on the usage of the day. I will say that before the upgrade I was usually getting home with anywhere between 30% and 50% regularly. Maybe I'm just using the phone more than I realize.

Trooper27

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Yep, mine has been a lot worse on my 7.

Even through Beta it was bad, thought it'd settle down after installing the GM version.

I even did the whole fresh install thing through iTunes despite firmly believing it makes no difference - and I am right in believing so.

After unplugging at 7:30, it's now 14:45 and I'm on 57% with very moderate use with no notable apps showing as using excessive battery.

I was well happy with my 7's battery until iOS11 - I'd easily get through a day on a full charge. Now by 7pm I'm having to plug it in to get me through the evening.

I have a year until I can upgrade so it's going to be very frustrating.

Same here man I am with you. At this point, I rolled back to 10.3.3 If I see and hear of zero improvements I am staying on iOS 10 until I can get a new phone next year.

InTheRed

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Here’s a new one..

I was at 46% battery life. I plugged my phone in to my car and drove for 15 minutes. I came up with 25% battery life.

IPhone 6 Plus. Refurbished July 2017 from Verizon so battery shouldn’t be an issue.

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
InTheRed -

Interesting, as I think the same thing has happened to me. And, more troubling, this is on my new iPhone 8!

I've had several instances where I've charged while in the car, but battery has been less. In my car, have a 120V outlet in my center console and I'm charging with an Apple plug and lightning cable. So, there should be no issues there at all.

Other times, the battery life seems fine, normal.

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Checking time since last full charge I found out that standby time is equal to usage time even though I only used the phone for less than an hour, no wonder I’m getting such a horrible battery life. Really don’t know what to do.... doing a full installation will be a real pain. Maybe will wait for next update, if things don’t get fixed there will be no other option I guess.

Attachments

• 81A4095D-173A-4FFC-B927-5D0E93450594.jpeg
    81A4095D-173A-4FFC-B927-5D0E93450594.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2

iPh6ne6

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
So after many frustrations with battery life, this morning I am doing a test on it by not using my phone at all.

Two hours after unplugging, I am still at 100%.

So the drain isn't happening on Standby.

I am thinking it is because some apps are still awaiting updates for iOS 11 optimization. For example, Whatsapp - This is my most used app and biggest battery user. This could be an app that is causing big drain as it hasn't had an update for ages -Certainly not while the GM version of iOS 11 has been live.

So I think I have concluded the battery issues are down to usage and apps, and NOT iOS 11 itself

Kilwillie

May 4, 2017
Visit site
So after many frustrations with battery life, this morning I am doing a test on it by not using my phone at all.

Two hours after unplugging, I am still at 100%.

So the drain isn't happening on Standby.

I am thinking it is because some apps are still awaiting updates for iOS 11 optimization. For example, Whatsapp - This is my most used app and biggest battery user. This could be an app that is causing big drain as it hasn't had an update for ages -Certainly not while the GM version of iOS 11 has been live.

So I think I have concluded the battery issues are down to usage and apps, and NOT iOS 11 itself

That would explain why some people are having major issues and some don’t.

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
After fully changing the phone left it overnight disconnected and in the morning, 7 hours later, I was left with 12% battery. Checking battery usage I found out the standby time is equal to usage time, the apps usage is the same as before I went to sleep. Meaning the phone won't stop working and it's not a app issue. Since then I've being trying to troubleshoot the problem by closing all apps, airplane mode, low power ON, etc.... absolutely nothing maker the phone go into standby. Usage time is exactly the same as standby. Haven't hard reset yet because I'm trying to isolate the problem. Sent a bug report to Apple and hopefully this will be fixed. Anyone else having battery issues please check the standby time vs usage time, to me they are exactly the same when standby should be much higher.

Last edited:

82verg

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
My battery on my
iPhone 7 Plus doesn’t seem to be as good. It could be my imagination. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to snag a 10 early.

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
After resetting my iP7+ as new in iTunes, on iOS 11.0.2. Battery life now has been restored greatly. Seems right back on-par with 10.3.3. (hoping it stays that way) restoring sucks, but it might do the trick. Read a few other places people doing it too. Doing all the beta's on top of each other every time, 11.1b1 was draining mine. Had to do it, restore.

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
After resetting my iP7+ as new in iTunes, on iOS 11.0.2. Battery life now has been restored greatly. Seems right back on-par with 10.3.3. (hoping it stays that way) restoring sucks, but it might do the trick. Read a few other places people doing it too. Doing all the beta's on top of each other every time, 11.1b1 was draining mine. Had to do it, restore.

Same here, tried everything to stop the phone to show battery usage equals to standby time. Every possible reset, app installation, setting.... rolled back to iOS 11.0.2 with backup restoration and no avail. Battery kept bleeding and usage time always equals to standby time. Finally it pissed me off so much that I did a full restoration in DFU mode and installed 11.02... pretty happy with the results, now the phone seams to be working like it should, checked usage time vs standby time and looks fine. For now I'm out of beta testing, too much time wasted on this issue. For me was very easy to spot a battery drain problem just by looking the standby time vs usage time, so for those with the same problem I'd say a full restoration should be the only way to go. Forget about the backup restoration, tried that and did not solve the problem. Feels like iPhones as becoming Windows PCs machines, formatting and reinstalling a clean OS was a must to keep the system running smoothly.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2