Battery Life after iOS 11 Upgrade?

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Same here, tried everything to stop the phone to show battery usage equals to standby time. Every possible reset, app installation, setting.... rolled back to iOS 11.0.2 with backup restoration and no avail. Battery kept bleeding and usage time always equals to standby time. Finally it pissed me off so much that I did a full restoration in DFU mode and installed 11.02... pretty happy with the results, now the phone seams to be working like it should, checked usage time vs standby time and looks fine. For now I'm out of beta testing, too much time wasted on this issue. For me was very easy to spot a battery drain problem just by looking the standby time vs usage time, so for those with the same problem I'd say a full restoration should be the only way to go. Forget about the backup restoration, tried that and did not solve the problem. Feels like iPhones as becoming Windows PCs machines, formatting and reinstalling a clean OS was a must to keep the system running smoothly.

Windows still is a clean install if you want it to work. Guess I got to bite the bullet and dfu my 7+ to fix this battery drain.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Windows still is a clean install if you want it to work. Guess I got to bite the bullet and dfu my 7+ to fix this battery drain.

Don’t spread misinformation. You sound like you are still using Windows 98. That simply is not the case, and I know from personal experience. The last time I ever had to reinstall Windows for “performance reasons,” I was using Windows Me.

I’ve never had to do this on any NT-based system, but I also don’t tend to junk up my machines.

Windows 10 has a reset function, anyways.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Don’t spread misinformation. You sound like you are still using Windows 98. That simply is not the case, and I know from personal experience. The last time I ever had to reinstall Windows for “performance reasons,” I was using Windows Me.

I’ve never had to do this on any NT-based system, but I also don’t tend to junk up my machines.

Windows 10 has a reset function, anyways.

I do a lot of video encoding and yes it eventually just slows to a crawl. Now mind you I only do a clean install because it froze once doing the refresh. Windows is still dos based so don’t let the keep lying to ya.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I do a lot of video encoding and yes it eventually just slows to a crawl. Now mind you I only do a clean install because it froze once doing the refresh. Windows is still dos based so don’t let the keep lying to ya.

Windows is not based on DOS. It’s NT, which was always a separate OS from Windows 3.x and 9x-Me.

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

No issues with Windows 10. Like I said, if you like to junk up your machine, you can always reset it. It’s no different than doing the same on a smartphone.

If your computer slows while encoding video, then perhaps that’s a bit of a clue...

I do a lot of Audio and Video editing on my Dell Notebook, and I have had no problems with it.

spidermanroach

Dec 27, 2008
Visit site
I updated to ios11 and now my battery has been beyond horrible. I erased my phone tonight and did a restore from backup and now my battery and usage are staying the exact same for minutes. During the day today my battery went from 100% at 8:10am to dead at 10:42am. At one point it was at 75% and went to 34% when I was answering a text. Can anyone give me any help? I have. 6+. This is beyond frustrating. I won’t even update to 11 on my wife’s iPhone 7 because of this.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Very sorry to hear that. I’ve heard the 6 has been having a terrible time with this update. However I wouldn’t be reluctant to upgrade your wife’s phone. The iPhone 7 has handled the update quite well. Also there is a new update out 11.0.3 that’s should help you out a lot.

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I updated to ios11 and now my battery has been beyond horrible. I erased my phone tonight and did a restore from backup and now my battery and usage are staying the exact same for minutes. During the day today my battery went from 100% at 8:10am to dead at 10:42am. At one point it was at 75% and went to 34% when I was answering a text. Can anyone give me any help? I have. 6+. This is beyond frustrating. I won’t even update to 11 on my wife’s iPhone 7 because of this.

I have an iP7+ running 11.0.3 now. I did have to restore a while ago, BUT setup as "new" phone. I think the key is not to do it from a previous backup, as it might be corrupted. Battery life has been restored greatly. hope, it gets better for you.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I do enjoy how some people insist that reports of poor battery life are a placebo effect. Maybe they'll explain to me why EVERY single iOS device in our household - iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 7 Plus, two iPhone 7's, an iPhone 6S and an iPhone SE have all watched battery life go into the ****ter since "upgrading" to this horrible iOS 11.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I do enjoy how some people insist that reports of poor battery life are a placebo effect. Maybe they'll explain to me why EVERY single iOS device in our household - iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 7 Plus, two iPhone 7's, an iPhone 6S and an iPhone SE have all watched battery life go into the ****ter since "upgrading" to this horrible iOS 11.

Placebo effect. You’re all think they are but they all aren’t really. Maybe 1 or 2 of them at most. You’re just agreeing with each other. Group think.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Haven't done the iPhone 7 yet but 11 drained my iPad Air pretty bad. 11.1 fixed the issue and so far no issues on iPad with 11.0.3

TheArcaneFlame

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I too am having absolutely horrible battery life with my 7 Plus. I even have a Moment Battery case (3800 mAh) on my phone and it will have exhausted both the internal and extended battery in less than 8 hours with minimal usage throughout the day which is insane. Plus I am noticing the phone getting disturbingly hot as if it's not able to throttle down or something.

Today has been a little better than the past few days... I think the 11.0.3 update may have helped slightly. But it's still nowhere near as good as it used to be.

I have also experienced weirdness where sometimes if I hit the power button to turn the screen off, I cannot get the display to come back on. Hitting the power button again will do nothing. Hitting the home button will also do nothing and I don't even get the haptic feedback from the button presses. When this happens I'll sometimes see the screen flicker slightly and very briefly after 5-6 seconds... I'll just barely be able to make out the time and then it will go black again. If I wait another 10 - 20 seconds, the phone will then come back up and be useable again. Horrible experience and it wasn't a one-off event.

I have found no correlation to any running app. It's done this without any apps even being open. It hasn't happened today yet so perhaps that got fixed with 11.0.3.

But between that, the phone getting so hot and the severe battery drain, this upgrade has been a pretty horrible experience on my 7 Plus.

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I too am having absolutely horrible battery life with my 7 Plus. I even have a Moment Battery case (3800 mAh) on my phone and it will have exhausted both the internal and extended battery in less than 8 hours with minimal usage throughout the day which is insane. Plus I am noticing the phone getting disturbingly hot as if it's not able to throttle down or something.

Today has been a little better than the past few days... I think the 11.0.3 update may have helped slightly. But it's still nowhere near as good as it used to be.

I have also experienced weirdness where sometimes if I hit the power button to turn the screen off, I cannot get the display to come back on. Hitting the power button again will do nothing. Hitting the home button will also do nothing and I don't even get the haptic feedback from the button presses. When this happens I'll sometimes see the screen flicker slightly and very briefly after 5-6 seconds... I'll just barely be able to make out the time and then it will go black again. If I wait another 10 - 20 seconds, the phone will then come back up and be useable again. Horrible experience and it wasn't a one-off event.

I have found no correlation to any running app. It's done this without any apps even being open. It hasn't happened today yet so perhaps that got fixed with 11.0.3.

But between that, the phone getting so hot and the severe battery drain, this upgrade has been a pretty horrible experience on my 7 Plus.

Think I would restore/setup as new fresh install of 11.0.3 not from backup. Ip7+

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok, discovered something interesting here that, at least for this whole day, has yielded me normal battery life AND a phone that is not hot. Note that I was having these issues on both my iPhone 7 when I upgraded to 11 and on my new iPhone 8.

It has seemed to me like something was getting "stuck" in the background that was burning battery and heating up the phone. Restarting the phone seemed to help for a while, but the problem would come back.

Yesterday, I was traveling and out of necessity put the phone into Low Power Mode. I noticed very quickly that it cooled down and the battery behaved as expected. A little while later, I turned Low Power Mode off and for the rest of last night and all of today, my battery life has been fine and the phone has been cool. So, I'm wondering if toggling Low Power Mode stopped or corrected whatever seemed to be glitching in the background.

If you're having this issue, give that a shot and let us know what your experience is.

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Very sorry to hear that. I’ve heard the 6 has been having a terrible time with this update. However I wouldn’t be reluctant to upgrade your wife’s phone. The iPhone 7 has handled the update quite well. Also there is a new update out 11.0.3 that’s should help you out a lot.

My 7+ battery life since updated to ios11 down right sucks. I had no problems with my battery till this update
I have almost everything turned off, including background refresh and it still drains way to fast
My phone use to last almost 2 full days with heavy use before I had to charge it, now it dies in under a day
I hope something is done about this. I feel like Im attached to a freaking charge

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
My 7+ battery life since updated to ios11 down right sucks. I had no problems with my battery till this update
I have almost everything turned off, including background refresh and it still drains way to fast
My phone use to last almost 2 full days with heavy use before I had to charge it, now it dies in under a day
I hope something is done about this. I feel like Im attached to a freaking charge

Umm you said two full days of heavy use without a charge. í ¾í´£í ¾í´£í ¾í´£ what type of iPhone do you have and what is your definition of heavy use. My phone has NEVER lasted two days without a charge. NEVER, and I’m a heavy user. Do you not send emails make calls or text. Do you not have social media. Something doesn’€™t make sense. TWO DAYS that‒s just amazing and very much unbelievable.

Last edited:

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I feel like this happens to me with each major upgrade (and usually it resolves after a few days), but is anyone else seeing much worse battery life after upgrading?

I'm using an iPhone 7 and I'm losing like 10-15% per hour with no more use than before the upgrade. The phone is also much warmer than usual. I've restarted and closed all apps, but still the same.

Looking in the battery app, nothing seems out of line. The apps I use the most are using the most battery and it doesn't seem any higher than it was with iOS 10.

Anyone else?

I'm getting my 8 Friday, so hopefully soon to be a moot point, but still odd.

This describes my battery life since iOS 11. I had hoped that the release version would be better than the beta but it isn’t.

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

This describes my battery life since iOS 11. I had hoped that the release version would be better than the beta but it isn’t.

I would suggest fresh install; setup phone as "new" not from backup. I bit the bullet a few weeks back and did it on my iP7+ 11.0.3 battery life has been great.

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
My “Low Power Mode/Reset” fix definitely solves the issue—but only temporarily. It may last a day or less in my experience, but then the massive battery drain and heat returns with no rhyme or reason.

Whatever is causing it doesn’t seem to register with the battery app, as nothing is out of whack there.

This is clearly a software problem, yet the several times I’ve talked to Apple they claim to be unaware of any problems. That’s not possible to believe, given hope many here and how many people I actually know are having the exact same issue.

If you havent’ registered with problem with Apple, please do.

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
My “Low Power Mode/Reset” fix definitely solves the issue—but only temporarily. It may last a day or less in my experience, but then the massive battery drain and heat returns with no rhyme or reason.

Whatever is causing it doesn’t seem to register with the battery app, as nothing is out of whack there.

This is clearly a software problem, yet the several times I’ve talked to Apple they claim to be unaware of any problems. That’s not possible to believe, given hope many here and how many people I actually know are having the exact same issue.

If you havent’ registered with problem with Apple, please do.

Yep, I've submitted 1-2 feedbacks on battery drain. Either on background apps or Location Services trying to pin-point this iOS 11 issue. (restore as new has helped me though)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR