InTheRed -

Interesting, as I think the same thing has happened to me. And, more troubling, this is on my new iPhone 8!

I've had several instances where I've charged while in the car, but battery has been less. In my car, have a 120V outlet in my center console and I'm charging with an Apple plug and lightning cable. So, there should be no issues there at all.

Other times, the battery life seems fine, normal.
    10-02-2017 12:23 PM
    Checking time since last full charge I found out that standby time is equal to usage time even though I only used the phone for less than an hour, no wonder I’m getting such a horrible battery life. Really don’t know what to do.... doing a full installation will be a real pain. Maybe will wait for next update, if things don’t get fixed there will be no other option I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Life after iOS 11 Upgrade?-81a4095d-173a-4ffc-b927-5d0e93450594.jpeg  
    10-03-2017 01:26 AM
    So after many frustrations with battery life, this morning I am doing a test on it by not using my phone at all.

Two hours after unplugging, I am still at 100%.

So the drain isn't happening on Standby.

I am thinking it is because some apps are still awaiting updates for iOS 11 optimization. For example, Whatsapp - This is my most used app and biggest battery user. This could be an app that is causing big drain as it hasn't had an update for ages -Certainly not while the GM version of iOS 11 has been live.

So I think I have concluded the battery issues are down to usage and apps, and NOT iOS 11 itself
    Tartarus likes this.
    10-03-2017 03:31 AM
    So after many frustrations with battery life, this morning I am doing a test on it by not using my phone at all.

Two hours after unplugging, I am still at 100%.

So the drain isn't happening on Standby.

I am thinking it is because some apps are still awaiting updates for iOS 11 optimization. For example, Whatsapp - This is my most used app and biggest battery user. This could be an app that is causing big drain as it hasn't had an update for ages -Certainly not while the GM version of iOS 11 has been live.

So I think I have concluded the battery issues are down to usage and apps, and NOT iOS 11 itself
    That would explain why some people are having major issues and some don’t.
    10-03-2017 04:39 AM
    After fully changing the phone left it overnight disconnected and in the morning, 7 hours later, I was left with 12% battery. Checking battery usage I found out the standby time is equal to usage time, the apps usage is the same as before I went to sleep. Meaning the phone won't stop working and it's not a app issue. Since then I've being trying to troubleshoot the problem by closing all apps, airplane mode, low power ON, etc.... absolutely nothing maker the phone go into standby. Usage time is exactly the same as standby. Haven't hard reset yet because I'm trying to isolate the problem. Sent a bug report to Apple and hopefully this will be fixed. Anyone else having battery issues please check the standby time vs usage time, to me they are exactly the same when standby should be much higher.
    Last edited by Luiz Brunner; 10-04-2017 at 03:54 AM.
    10-03-2017 07:47 AM
    My battery on my
    iPhone 7 Plus doesn’t seem to be as good. It could be my imagination. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to snag a 10 early.
    10-05-2017 03:12 AM
    My battery on my
    iPhone 7 Plus doesn’t seem to be as good. It could be my imagination. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to snag a 10 early.
    We can only hope
    10-05-2017 03:17 AM
    We can only hope
    I heard people on certain podcasts thinking people lie will be waiting until the middle of next year. By then you might as well wait.
    10-05-2017 03:40 AM
    After resetting my iP7+ as new in iTunes, on iOS 11.0.2. Battery life now has been restored greatly. Seems right back on-par with 10.3.3. (hoping it stays that way) restoring sucks, but it might do the trick. Read a few other places people doing it too. Doing all the beta's on top of each other every time, 11.1b1 was draining mine. Had to do it, restore.
    10-05-2017 06:18 AM
    After resetting my iP7+ as new in iTunes, on iOS 11.0.2. Battery life now has been restored greatly. Seems right back on-par with 10.3.3. (hoping it stays that way) restoring sucks, but it might do the trick. Read a few other places people doing it too. Doing all the beta's on top of each other every time, 11.1b1 was draining mine. Had to do it, restore.
    Same here, tried everything to stop the phone to show battery usage equals to standby time. Every possible reset, app installation, setting.... rolled back to iOS 11.0.2 with backup restoration and no avail. Battery kept bleeding and usage time always equals to standby time. Finally it pissed me off so much that I did a full restoration in DFU mode and installed 11.02... pretty happy with the results, now the phone seams to be working like it should, checked usage time vs standby time and looks fine. For now I'm out of beta testing, too much time wasted on this issue. For me was very easy to spot a battery drain problem just by looking the standby time vs usage time, so for those with the same problem I'd say a full restoration should be the only way to go. Forget about the backup restoration, tried that and did not solve the problem. Feels like iPhones as becoming Windows PCs machines, formatting and reinstalling a clean OS was a must to keep the system running smoothly.
    Last edited by Luiz Brunner; 10-06-2017 at 04:42 AM.
    rayporsche and jgraves1107 like this.
    10-05-2017 06:14 PM
    Same here, tried everything to stop the phone to show battery usage equals to standby time. Every possible reset, app installation, setting.... rolled back to iOS 11.0.2 with backup restoration and no avail. Battery kept bleeding and usage time always equals to standby time. Finally it pissed me off so much that I did a full restoration in DFU mode and installed 11.02... pretty happy with the results, now the phone seams to be working like it should, checked usage time vs standby time and looks fine. For now I'm out of beta testing, too much time wasted on this issue. For me was very easy to spot a battery drain problem just by looking the standby time vs usage time, so for those with the same problem I'd say a full restoration should be the only way to go. Forget about the backup restoration, tried that and did not solve the problem. Feels like iPhones as becoming Windows PCs machines, formatting and reinstalling a clean OS was a must to keep the system running smoothly.
    Windows still is a clean install if you want it to work. Guess I got to bite the bullet and dfu my 7+ to fix this battery drain.
    Jbrown99 likes this.
    10-06-2017 09:38 AM
    Windows still is a clean install if you want it to work. Guess I got to bite the bullet and dfu my 7+ to fix this battery drain.
    Don’t spread misinformation. You sound like you are still using Windows 98. That simply is not the case, and I know from personal experience. The last time I ever had to reinstall Windows for “performance reasons,” I was using Windows Me.

I’ve never had to do this on any NT-based system, but I also don’t tend to junk up my machines.

Windows 10 has a reset function, anyways.
    10-09-2017 04:30 AM
    Don’t spread misinformation. You sound like you are still using Windows 98. That simply is not the case, and I know from personal experience. The last time I ever had to reinstall Windows for “performance reasons,” I was using Windows Me.

I’ve never had to do this on any NT-based system, but I also don’t tend to junk up my machines.

Windows 10 has a reset function, anyways.
    I do a lot of video encoding and yes it eventually just slows to a crawl. Now mind you I only do a clean install because it froze once doing the refresh. Windows is still dos based so don’t let the keep lying to ya.
    10-10-2017 04:50 PM
    I do a lot of video encoding and yes it eventually just slows to a crawl. Now mind you I only do a clean install because it froze once doing the refresh. Windows is still dos based so don’t let the keep lying to ya.
    Windows is not based on DOS. It’s NT, which was always a separate OS from Windows 3.x and 9x-Me.

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

No issues with Windows 10. Like I said, if you like to junk up your machine, you can always reset it. It’s no different than doing the same on a smartphone.

If your computer slows while encoding video, then perhaps that’s a bit of a clue...

I do a lot of Audio and Video editing on my Dell Notebook, and I have had no problems with it.
    10-10-2017 05:08 PM
    I updated to ios11 and now my battery has been beyond horrible. I erased my phone tonight and did a restore from backup and now my battery and usage are staying the exact same for minutes. During the day today my battery went from 100% at 8:10am to dead at 10:42am. At one point it was at 75% and went to 34% when I was answering a text. Can anyone give me any help? I have. 6+. This is beyond frustrating. I won’t even update to 11 on my wife’s iPhone 7 because of this.
    Brn97CitronWran likes this.
    10-11-2017 08:53 PM
    Very sorry to hear that. I’ve heard the 6 has been having a terrible time with this update. However I wouldn’t be reluctant to upgrade your wife’s phone. The iPhone 7 has handled the update quite well. Also there is a new update out 11.0.3 that’s should help you out a lot.
    10-12-2017 12:40 AM
    I updated to ios11 and now my battery has been beyond horrible. I erased my phone tonight and did a restore from backup and now my battery and usage are staying the exact same for minutes. During the day today my battery went from 100% at 8:10am to dead at 10:42am. At one point it was at 75% and went to 34% when I was answering a text. Can anyone give me any help? I have. 6+. This is beyond frustrating. I won’t even update to 11 on my wife’s iPhone 7 because of this.
    I have an iP7+ running 11.0.3 now. I did have to restore a while ago, BUT setup as "new" phone. I think the key is not to do it from a previous backup, as it might be corrupted. Battery life has been restored greatly. hope, it gets better for you.
    10-12-2017 06:28 AM
    I do enjoy how some people insist that reports of poor battery life are a placebo effect. Maybe they'll explain to me why EVERY single iOS device in our household - iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 7 Plus, two iPhone 7's, an iPhone 6S and an iPhone SE have all watched battery life go into the ****ter since "upgrading" to this horrible iOS 11.
    10-12-2017 10:18 AM
    I do enjoy how some people insist that reports of poor battery life are a placebo effect. Maybe they'll explain to me why EVERY single iOS device in our household - iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 7 Plus, two iPhone 7's, an iPhone 6S and an iPhone SE have all watched battery life go into the ****ter since "upgrading" to this horrible iOS 11.
    Placebo effect. You’re all think they are but they all aren’t really. Maybe 1 or 2 of them at most. You’re just agreeing with each other. Group think.
    10-12-2017 11:44 AM
    Placebo effect. You’re all think they are but they all aren’t really. Maybe 1 or 2 of them at most. You’re just agreeing with each other. Group think.
    iSheep Effect. (Needs no explanation.)
    10-12-2017 11:50 AM
    Haven't done the iPhone 7 yet but 11 drained my iPad Air pretty bad. 11.1 fixed the issue and so far no issues on iPad with 11.0.3
    10-13-2017 10:27 AM
    I too am having absolutely horrible battery life with my 7 Plus. I even have a Moment Battery case (3800 mAh) on my phone and it will have exhausted both the internal and extended battery in less than 8 hours with minimal usage throughout the day which is insane. Plus I am noticing the phone getting disturbingly hot as if it's not able to throttle down or something.

Today has been a little better than the past few days... I think the 11.0.3 update may have helped slightly. But it's still nowhere near as good as it used to be.

I have also experienced weirdness where sometimes if I hit the power button to turn the screen off, I cannot get the display to come back on. Hitting the power button again will do nothing. Hitting the home button will also do nothing and I don't even get the haptic feedback from the button presses. When this happens I'll sometimes see the screen flicker slightly and very briefly after 5-6 seconds... I'll just barely be able to make out the time and then it will go black again. If I wait another 10 - 20 seconds, the phone will then come back up and be useable again. Horrible experience and it wasn't a one-off event.

I have found no correlation to any running app. It's done this without any apps even being open. It hasn't happened today yet so perhaps that got fixed with 11.0.3.

But between that, the phone getting so hot and the severe battery drain, this upgrade has been a pretty horrible experience on my 7 Plus.
    10-13-2017 01:46 PM
    I too am having absolutely horrible battery life with my 7 Plus. I even have a Moment Battery case (3800 mAh) on my phone and it will have exhausted both the internal and extended battery in less than 8 hours with minimal usage throughout the day which is insane. Plus I am noticing the phone getting disturbingly hot as if it's not able to throttle down or something.

Today has been a little better than the past few days... I think the 11.0.3 update may have helped slightly. But it's still nowhere near as good as it used to be.

I have also experienced weirdness where sometimes if I hit the power button to turn the screen off, I cannot get the display to come back on. Hitting the power button again will do nothing. Hitting the home button will also do nothing and I don't even get the haptic feedback from the button presses. When this happens I'll sometimes see the screen flicker slightly and very briefly after 5-6 seconds... I'll just barely be able to make out the time and then it will go black again. If I wait another 10 - 20 seconds, the phone will then come back up and be useable again. Horrible experience and it wasn't a one-off event.

I have found no correlation to any running app. It's done this without any apps even being open. It hasn't happened today yet so perhaps that got fixed with 11.0.3.

But between that, the phone getting so hot and the severe battery drain, this upgrade has been a pretty horrible experience on my 7 Plus.
    Think I would restore/setup as new fresh install of 11.0.3 not from backup. Ip7+
    10-13-2017 07:13 PM
    Ok, discovered something interesting here that, at least for this whole day, has yielded me normal battery life AND a phone that is not hot. Note that I was having these issues on both my iPhone 7 when I upgraded to 11 and on my new iPhone 8.

It has seemed to me like something was getting "stuck" in the background that was burning battery and heating up the phone. Restarting the phone seemed to help for a while, but the problem would come back.

Yesterday, I was traveling and out of necessity put the phone into Low Power Mode. I noticed very quickly that it cooled down and the battery behaved as expected. A little while later, I turned Low Power Mode off and for the rest of last night and all of today, my battery life has been fine and the phone has been cool. So, I'm wondering if toggling Low Power Mode stopped or corrected whatever seemed to be glitching in the background.

If you're having this issue, give that a shot and let us know what your experience is.
    10-17-2017 03:36 PM
    Very sorry to hear that. I’ve heard the 6 has been having a terrible time with this update. However I wouldn’t be reluctant to upgrade your wife’s phone. The iPhone 7 has handled the update quite well. Also there is a new update out 11.0.3 that’s should help you out a lot.
    My 7+ battery life since updated to ios11 down right sucks. I had no problems with my battery till this update
    I have almost everything turned off, including background refresh and it still drains way to fast
    My phone use to last almost 2 full days with heavy use before I had to charge it, now it dies in under a day
    I hope something is done about this. I feel like Im attached to a freaking charge
    10-19-2017 07:09 PM
85 1234