Control Center Bug?

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
This new feature is frustrating to say the least. Before, I only had to go to Control Center to toggle my wifi when getting home or leaving, but now it means going into Settings to do it, otherwise it pops up while I'm at work where I do not have wifi. I reported this as a bug.

Go into WiFi settings and uncheck the "Ask to Join Networks" and you wont get anymore pop-ups...

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm....I was hoping it worked like that but so far no luck. So in theory when I toggle off work wifi it should automatically connect to wifi when I get home? Is there a setting I have to change in location services?

That's how it functions for me.. I'm at work now and connected to WiFi. Toggle off in CC. When I get home, it will automatically connect to my home wifi..

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
That's how it functions for me.. I'm at work now and connected to WiFi. Toggle off in CC. When I get home, it will automatically connect to my home wifi..

Cool. So it is supposed to work like that. I had it work like that once since Monday. Toggled off wifi at home and when I got to work it automatically connected to work wifi. Never reconnects automatically when I get home.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Here’s from apple support

e4df15ef75a93acf3112c63314f016ee.jpg

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
There’s little doubt in my mind that leaving these radios on unnecessarily drains battery life.

I agree that it uses a little more battery than when you have it completely turned off. But the 1 to 2 hours extra battery life isn’t worth it for me to completely turn it off.

I use geocaching a lot, especially now when I’m on vacation, abroad, I use it to check in on Swarm what places I have been.

Since I’m on vacation in Istanbul, I don’t have wifi in my house (I only stay here for a maximum of 2 weeks, so it’s not worth it to get it for my house).
I have been using solely LTE for the past week and will do so for the coming week. Only at places that I trust I use WiFi, to download big app updates or playlists to Music.
It would have been too much steps for me to enable disable the wifi radio each time I want to use it.
Instead, I only swipe up Control Center to disable that one or 2 wifi spots my phone connects to because I had previously connected to it.
Imagine that I have to disable it, then enable it again to use better geo location the disable then enable and so on and so.
The way it works in iOS 11 is much more convenient in my use case.

It’s not like I don’t care how others feel, on the contrary, but these decisions are not made lightly by Apple. They have focus groups and such.
If, by any chance, Apple feels their decision is wrong, they’ll hopefully revert it back to the old way in a future update.

Until then there is not much we can do than to submit feedback to Apple through https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree that it uses a little more battery than when you have it completely turned off. But the 1 to 2 hours extra battery life isn’t worth it for me to completely turn it off.

I use geocaching a lot, especially now when I’m on vacation, abroad, I use it to check in on Swarm what places I have been.

Since I’m on vacation in Istanbul, I don’t have wifi in my house (I only stay here for a maximum of 2 weeks, so it’s not worth it to get it for my house).
I have been using solely LTE for the past week and will do so for the coming week. Only at places that I trust I use WiFi, to download big app updates or playlists to Music.
It would have been too much steps for me to enable disable the wifi radio each time I want to use it.
Instead, I only swipe up Control Center to disable that one or 2 wifi spots my phone connects to because I had previously connected to it.
Imagine that I have to disable it, then enable it again to use better geo location the disable then enable and so on and so.
The way it works in iOS 11 is much more convenient in my use case.

It’s not like I don’t care how others feel, on the contrary, but these decisions are not made lightly by Apple. They have focus groups and such.
If, by any chance, Apple feels their decision is wrong, they’ll hopefully revert it back to the old way in a future update.

Until then there is not much we can do than to submit feedback to Apple through https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p.

Yük, I'm still a bit confused by this. Help me get this straight. I'm on 10.1.1. When I turn wifi off in the control center, it's the same as toggling it off in settlngs. But it doesn't "forget this network" where I would need to sign back in. So in iOS 11, when you turn wifi off in the control center, it only turns off what you're connected to, but other wifi spots still show, and can be connected to. Is that correct? Or am I still wallowing in ignorance?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
No, it’s exactly how you describe it.

In iOS 10, the toggle completely shuts off WiFi.
In iOS 11, it disconnects and disabled auto-join for that network until you went somewhere and came back, or at 5 am in the morning or if you have connected to another WiFi in the meantime. WiFi stays enabled and still joins networks automatically if you have previously connected to them.
To clarify, it simply disconnects from that one WiFi and disables auto join only for that one WiFi.

Last edited:

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
A look at this list:

AirDrop
AirPlay
Apple Pencil
Apple Watch
Continuity features, like Handoff and Instant Hotspot
Instant Hotspot
Location Services

I own an iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV so I certainly am invested in the ecosystem to an extent. I use none of these except for AirPlay, when I’m at home with the Apple TV, and when I’m home I’ll have my WiFi turned on anyway.

Of course I use Location Services to an extent but I’m restrictive with when I use it, and that’s not a WiFi only function anyway.

If a guy like me doesn’t use most of these, I doubt that the majority of iPhone users do. I’m sure the staff at Apple are up to their eyeballs with iToys that they want connected but they’re not typical.

I’m seeing a greater-than-usual amount of internet complaints over this one. I gotta say, I’m pretty
pissed. I sent in polite feedback and I’m really hoping Apple reconsiders.

Edit: Here’s a quote from another article on this topic.

“Also in iOS 11, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is enabled every time the device is restarted. Both are also automatically enabled at 5am local time.”

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Last edited:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm not happy with the iOS11 reconfiguring of Control Center's handling of WiFi and BT. If you turn them Off, they should be OFF.

Tapping the WiFi and BT buttons in Control Center does not, as somebody earlier stated, turn them off, even temporarily. While they appear to be off, it's only connected devices, as mentioned, that are off, temporarily. WiFi and BT are very much still active.

There are times when an extra one or two hours of run time is very welcome, and sometimes needed. 'Siri, turn off WiFi; Siri turn off Bluetooth' or drilling to WiFi and BT in Settings is not an acceptable alternative to a silent swipe up and tap on Control Center.

There are times when it's a good idea to turn off those protocols, and I'd prefer to do it economy of movement and quietly. If keeping wireless peripherals connected is so important, maybe there should be another button for those of us who have a desire and use case for it— pushingbthe button could bring up this notification: 'WiFi and BT Off. REALLY Off. No, seriously. This time we mean it. Honestly. Pinkie Swear. We're not kidding.'

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Edit: Here’s a quote from another article on this topic.

“Also in iOS 11, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is enabled every time the device is restarted. Both are also automatically enabled at 5am local time.”

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

From Apple's own site, WiF and BT are not disabled in the first place (within the context under contention) when using the Control Center. It's the peripherals only that are disabled, temporarily. WF and BT must be active to continue to provide the various services such as AirDrop, etc. Then they and not WF and BT are enabled at 0500 should you not do so, prior. Because WF and BT were never disabled.

I don't know what happens if WF and BT are turned off in Settings, if that's your question. You may get a verified answer here, but I plan to check this out tonight, if I remember.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
There are times when an extra one or two hours of run time is very welcome, and sometimes needed.

There are times when it's a good idea to turn off those protocols

That’s what Low Power Mode is for. Enabling that makes your battery last longer.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Now that I think it over, Do you guys really left it off when you don’t use them ? I never turn off my wifi, only do it if i don’t want to connect to certain wifi service which i connected previously. For bluetooth i never turn off

Does it really drain our battery it we never turn it off ?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

If you mean with the radios on but not actively connected to devices - a little, but not much. WiFi is one method used for location services- but, obviously, only when an app is actively using location services. And both radios must have a process that is looking for known WiFi access points and BT devices when they become available, in order to connect when necessary. And many BT connections these days are low energy, so even connected devices don't use much power.

Also see What You Should (and Shouldn’t) Do to Extend Your Phone’s Battery Life | The Wirecutter

Also, if one is paranoid about tracking, the iPhone obfuscates the MAC address of the WiFi radio to access points that are not known to the phone, so they get a random MAC rather than the real MAC address of the WiFi radio on the phone. And, of course, your carrier knows exactly where you have been as long as you have a connected cell phone signal, and they are probably more likely to share your location than Apple is.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
If you mean with the radios on but not actively connected to devices - a little, but not much. WiFi is one method used for location services- but, obviously, only when an app is actively using location services. And both radios must have a process that is looking for known WiFi access points and BT devices when they become available, in order to connect when necessary. And many BT connections these days are low energy, so even connected devices don't use much power.

Also see What You Should (and Shouldn’t) Do to Extend Your Phone’s Battery Life | The Wirecutter

Also, if one is paranoid about tracking, the iPhone obfuscates the MAC address of the WiFi radio to access points that are not known to the phone, so they get a random MAC rather than the real MAC address of the WiFi radio on the phone. And, of course, your carrier knows exactly where you have been as long as you have a connected cell phone signal, and they are probably more likely to share your location than Apple is.

If some people who has so many "previous connected" wifi which they don't want to connect automatically, then it would be pain to turn off the wifi one by one (from control center). If not, then the catch is only small percentage battery drain right ? For the location, I always set per apps as "while using"

anyway, there's reason why iOS 11 has these new settings, which is different from "normal". People tend to turn off the wifi and bluetooth setting from control center and that's it, they're off. If they're not really off, people tend to feel "not safe". "not safe" from what, I don't know, maybe just feeling insecure of something should be off but not, even it really won't give any effect

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Now that I think it over, Do you guys really left it off when you don’t use them ? I never turn off my wifi, only do it if i don’t want to connect to certain wifi service which i connected previously. For bluetooth i never turn off

I always leave my wifi and Bluetooth on. Bluetooth if I have anything paired. Having unlimited data with Verizon, I do turn wifi off a lot. But that's different. When it's on, I never notice any difference in battery use. Same with Bluetooth. It's just not an issue with me.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Well, this is pretty clear. There are WAY more people upset with this change than there are people who like this change. Simple answer: it needs to handle both options.

Reason #9 why I'm staying on 10.3.3 until these things get sorted out.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Further more to this bug/ feature. I am trying to wrap my head around whqt exactly the point of it is.
So when I toggle the BT/Wifi connection off. It disconnects from whatever device it was connected to.
It doesn't turn it off, just disconnects. Got it.
However, when I go and turn on a different device later on, it doesn't automatically connect at all....So what's the point?
My BT/ WiFi is still on....But I still have to go toggle it in the control Center.
So what am I missing here????

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73