Control Center Bug?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Don’t like it. It was bad enough for it to popup suggesting I turn on WiFi. I was almost always near an unknown wifi when it did. Now it’s going to just thwart my wishes without asking. WiFi on is better on battery only when I am on a known wifi. Otherwise i want those buggers off, not searching. And definitely not deciding for me. You should never have to use voice control to work with the phone. My guess is that’s an oversight that it doesn’t work the same way as control center. This is the kind of Bill Gates BS where he ‘knows’ what you want. I told it what I wanted when I shut it off! Arrrg! Ok better now.

nolhayes

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for pointing out the Siri option.
This is truly annoying. I hate when they change things that were working just fine to make them “better”

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You should never have to use voice control to work with the phone.

You don't. Settings / WiFi; toggle it off. Same with BT.

(I'm ok with this change, really. I keep WiFi on all of the time, but I'd certainly prefer to see something like long press/3D press on a wireless icon to turn the radio off completely. What I really want is the ability to take the wireless controls OUT OF CONTROL CENTER so I can actually use Control Center unlocked. I don't want anybody to pick up my phone and turn these things off if I lose my phone, it's stolen, etc.)

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
You don't. Settings / WiFi; toggle it off. Same with BT.

(I'm ok with this change, really. I keep WiFi on all of the time, but I'd certainly prefer to see something like long press/3D press on a wireless icon to turn the radio off completely. What I really want is the ability to take the wireless controls OUT OF CONTROL CENTER so I can actually use Control Center unlocked. I don't want anybody to pick up my phone and turn these things off if I lose my phone, it's stolen, etc.)

So the new way it works would be safer as the perp can’t fully turn off the wireless completely- or at least for too long. I think I agree with you. Perhaps I may be changing my lock screen settings.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So the new way it works would be safer as the perp can’t fully turn off the wireless completely- or at least for too long. I think I agree with you. Perhaps I may be changing my lock screen settings.

You're right. Now I only need Airplane Mode to be removable - the rest of the icons can stay.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
As some others have said here.... This "new" way that the wifi toggle operates on iOS 11 is EXTREMELY annoying, to say the least. I really thought I was losing my mind yesterday when it kept coming back on...I was like wtf?

I wish Apple didn't change the behavior of it from iOS 10.

Hopefully they will change it back🤞🏽

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
That’s quite personal.
I really really love this feature. I don’t want to enable and disable it all the time when I’m out and about.

Disabling wifi when I feel it has no added value for my connectivity is much better than to realize I haven’t enabled wifi when I needed it the most.

But just like I said, this is a personal preference and will take some getting used to.

As with most things Apple, you won’t even realize that the functionality of the toggle in Control Center has changed after a while.

What's the point of even having it in the Control Center then if it's not turning it off? Is it just disconnecting me from that WiFi I was just on? If I toggle it, then my intent is to turn the WiFi off.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
What's the point of even having it in the Control Center then if it's not turning it off? Is it just disconnecting me from that WiFi I was just on? If I toggle it, then my intent is to turn the WiFi off.

I have never wanted to fully disable wifi or Bluetooth when I tapped those toggles.

I simply wanted to disconnect from the currently connected wifi or device.
With this new feature, Apple finally has made this possible.

The toggles now simply disconnect from where they’re connected, allowing you to connect to wifi as soon as you moved places or willing to connect to another Bluetooth device.

I have an Apple Watch and with hitting the Bluetooth toggle in Control Center I can now easily disconnect from my external speakers without also disconnecting my watch from my phone.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This new feature is frustrating to say the least. Before, I only had to go to Control Center to toggle my wifi when getting home or leaving, but now it means going into Settings to do it, otherwise it pops up while I'm at work where I do not have wifi. I reported this as a bug.

It's not a bug... you can turn it off in settings or by telling Siri to do it.. and it will be off.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I have never wanted to fully disable wifi or Bluetooth when I tapped those toggles.

I simply wanted to disconnect from the currently connected wifi or device.
With this new feature, Apple finally has made this possible.

The toggles now simply disconnect from where they’re connected, allowing you to connect to wifi as soon as you moved places or willing to connect to another Bluetooth device.

I have an Apple Watch and with hitting the Bluetooth toggle in Control Center I can now easily disconnect from my external speakers without also disconnecting my watch from my phone.

So the entire point of the new toggles is to literally save a few seconds of time? When I tested a few days ago it actually took 22 seconds to reconnect to wifi after using the toggle, but only took eight seconds to reconnect to wifi when I turned wifi off in the global settings. I'm guessing it's designed to work the opposite?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My usecase for the toggle is this:
Previously: Tap the wifi to disconnect. Go somewhere else and connect to wifi by enabling it.

Now: tap the wifi to disconnect go somewhere else and my phone connect without me having to do anything.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
My usecase for the toggle is this:
Previously: Tap the wifi to disconnect. Go somewhere else and connect to wifi by enabling it.

Now: tap the wifi to disconnect go somewhere else and my phone connect without me having to do anything.

Hmmm....I was hoping it worked like that but so far no luck. So in theory when I toggle off work wifi it should automatically connect to wifi when I get home? Is there a setting I have to change in location services?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So the entire point of the new toggles is to literally save a few seconds of time?

No.

From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086

About Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

In iOS 11 and later, when you toggle the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth buttons in Control Center, your device will immediately disconnect from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth accessories. Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will continue to be available, so you can use these important features:

• AirDrop
  • AirPlay
  • Apple Pencil
  • Apple Watch
  • Continuity features, like Handoff and Instant Hotspot
  • Instant Hotspot
  • Location Services

I am sure that Apple was tired of people calling to ask why they couldn't, say, AirDrop files to their friends in the same room and discover it was because they had WiFi radios off, or why the Apple Pencil wasn't working, and find out that they turned off BT from control center just to disconnect from an external speaker (a more likely scenario).

This should be an option for power users like us, though, who know what we are doing when we turn these radios off. Hopefully 11.0.x at some point will add a long press/3D press for radio off, or a three way toggle, or something else in control center.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
This is totally fu**ed. When they introduced control panel several years ago, they boasted about the ability to turn these things off. Now they’ve undone it. Bad decision, seriously. I use this feature several times a day.