A look at this list:

AirDrop
    AirPlay
    Apple Pencil
    Apple Watch
    Continuity features, like Handoff and Instant Hotspot
    Instant Hotspot
    Location Services

I own an iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV so I certainly am invested in the ecosystem to an extent. I use none of these except for AirPlay, when I’m at home with the Apple TV, and when I’m home I’ll have my WiFi turned on anyway.

Of course I use Location Services to an extent but I’m restrictive with when I use it, and that’s not a WiFi only function anyway.

If a guy like me doesn’t use most of these, I doubt that the majority of iPhone users do. I’m sure the staff at Apple are up to their eyeballs with iToys that they want connected but they’re not typical.

I’m seeing a greater-than-usual amount of internet complaints over this one. I gotta say, I’m pretty
    pissed. I sent in polite feedback and I’m really hoping Apple reconsiders.

Edit: Here’s a quote from another article on this topic.

“Also in iOS 11, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is enabled every time the device is restarted. Both are also automatically enabled at 5am local time.”

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?
    Last edited by edd; 09-23-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    09-23-2017 10:10 AM
    I'm not happy with the iOS11 reconfiguring of Control Center's handling of WiFi and BT. If you turn them Off, they should be OFF.

Tapping the WiFi and BT buttons in Control Center does not, as somebody earlier stated, turn them off, even temporarily. While they appear to be off, it's only connected devices, as mentioned, that are off, temporarily. WiFi and BT are very much still active.

There are times when an extra one or two hours of run time is very welcome, and sometimes needed. 'Siri, turn off WiFi; Siri turn off Bluetooth' or drilling to WiFi and BT in Settings is not an acceptable alternative to a silent swipe up and tap on Control Center.

There are times when it's a good idea to turn off those protocols, and I'd prefer to do it economy of movement and quietly. If keeping wireless peripherals connected is so important, maybe there should be another button for those of us who have a desire and use case for it— pushingbthe button could bring up this notification: 'WiFi and BT Off. REALLY Off. No, seriously. This time we mean it. Honestly. Pinkie Swear. We're not kidding.'
    vpblaze likes this.
    09-23-2017 03:43 PM
    Edit: Here’s a quote from another article on this topic.

“Also in iOS 11, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is enabled every time the device is restarted. Both are also automatically enabled at 5am local time.”

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

From Apple's own site, WiF and BT are not disabled in the first place (within the context under contention) when using the Control Center. It's the peripherals only that are disabled, temporarily. WF and BT must be active to continue to provide the various services such as AirDrop, etc. Then they and not WF and BT are enabled at 0500 should you not do so, prior. Because WF and BT were never disabled.

I don't know what happens if WF and BT are turned off in Settings, if that's your question. You may get a verified answer here, but I plan to check this out tonight, if I remember.
    09-23-2017 03:56 PM
    There are times when an extra one or two hours of run time is very welcome, and sometimes needed.

There are times when it's a good idea to turn off those protocols
    That’s what Low Power Mode is for. Enabling that makes your battery last longer.
    09-23-2017 04:12 PM
    Now that I think it over, Do you guys really left it off when you don’t use them ? I never turn off my wifi, only do it if i don’t want to connect to certain wifi service which i connected previously. For bluetooth i never turn off

Does it really drain our battery it we never turn it off ?
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-23-2017 08:24 PM
    If you mean with the radios on but not actively connected to devices - a little, but not much. WiFi is one method used for location services- but, obviously, only when an app is actively using location services. And both radios must have a process that is looking for known WiFi access points and BT devices when they become available, in order to connect when necessary. And many BT connections these days are low energy, so even connected devices don't use much power.

Also see What You Should (and Shouldn’t) Do to Extend Your Phone’s Battery Life | The Wirecutter

Also, if one is paranoid about tracking, the iPhone obfuscates the MAC address of the WiFi radio to access points that are not known to the phone, so they get a random MAC rather than the real MAC address of the WiFi radio on the phone. And, of course, your carrier knows exactly where you have been as long as you have a connected cell phone signal, and they are probably more likely to share your location than Apple is.
    09-23-2017 08:54 PM
    If you mean with the radios on but not actively connected to devices - a little, but not much. WiFi is one method used for location services- but, obviously, only when an app is actively using location services. And both radios must have a process that is looking for known WiFi access points and BT devices when they become available, in order to connect when necessary. And many BT connections these days are low energy, so even connected devices don't use much power.

Also see What You Should (and Shouldn’t) Do to Extend Your Phone’s Battery Life | The Wirecutter

Also, if one is paranoid about tracking, the iPhone obfuscates the MAC address of the WiFi radio to access points that are not known to the phone, so they get a random MAC rather than the real MAC address of the WiFi radio on the phone. And, of course, your carrier knows exactly where you have been as long as you have a connected cell phone signal, and they are probably more likely to share your location than Apple is.
    If some people who has so many "previous connected" wifi which they don't want to connect automatically, then it would be pain to turn off the wifi one by one (from control center). If not, then the catch is only small percentage battery drain right ? For the location, I always set per apps as "while using"

anyway, there's reason why iOS 11 has these new settings, which is different from "normal". People tend to turn off the wifi and bluetooth setting from control center and that's it, they're off. If they're not really off, people tend to feel "not safe". "not safe" from what, I don't know, maybe just feeling insecure of something should be off but not, even it really won't give any effect
    09-23-2017 09:10 PM
    Now that I think it over, Do you guys really left it off when you don’t use them ? I never turn off my wifi, only do it if i don’t want to connect to certain wifi service which i connected previously. For bluetooth i never turn off

I always leave my wifi and Bluetooth on. Bluetooth if I have anything paired. Having unlimited data with Verizon, I do turn wifi off a lot. But that's different. When it's on, I never notice any difference in battery use. Same with Bluetooth. It's just not an issue with me.
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-24-2017 11:44 AM
    Well, this is pretty clear. There are WAY more people upset with this change than there are people who like this change. Simple answer: it needs to handle both options.

Reason #9 why I'm staying on 10.3.3 until these things get sorted out.
    09-24-2017 07:47 PM
    Further more to this bug/ feature. I am trying to wrap my head around whqt exactly the point of it is.
    So when I toggle the BT/Wifi connection off. It disconnects from whatever device it was connected to.
    It doesn't turn it off, just disconnects. Got it.
    However, when I go and turn on a different device later on, it doesn't automatically connect at all....So what's the point?
    My BT/ WiFi is still on....But I still have to go toggle it in the control Center.
    So what am I missing here????
    09-25-2017 10:38 PM
    Further more to this bug/ feature. I am trying to wrap my head around whqt exactly the point of it is.
    So when I toggle the BT/Wifi connection off. It disconnects from whatever device it was connected to.
    It doesn't turn it off, just disconnects. Got it.
    However, when I go and turn on a different device later on, it doesn't automatically connect at all....So what's the point?
    My BT/ WiFi is still on....But I still have to go toggle it in the control Center.
    So what am I missing here????
    As I understand it, When you go to a different location that is also a known WiFi access point, it does automatically connect. It just won’t automatically reconnect to the ap you’ve disconnected from until you leave and come back, or until the next day. Or you go into settings /WiFi and manually reconnect.
    09-25-2017 11:12 PM
    As a test, I shut off WiFi/BT in Settings before going to bed. I woke up well after 5am, and they were both still off.

So I’m guessing that the 5am thing only applies if you leave WiFi/BT on in Settings, but you’ve disconnected the network/device the night before with the “improved” Control Center switches. Then, at 5am, it’ll connect back to that network/device.
    09-26-2017 03:01 PM
    As a test, I shut off WiFi/BT in Settings before going to bed. I woke up well after 5am, and they were both still off.

So I’m guessing that the 5am thing only applies if you leave WiFi/BT on in Settings, but you’ve disconnected the network/device the night before with the “improved” Control Center switches. Then, at 5am, it’ll connect back to that network/device.
    Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. From what I have read (and I have no interest at all in testing this myself), if you disconnect from a WiFi AP *in control center on iOS 11*, leaving the WiFi radio on, it is supposed to do as I said above.
    09-26-2017 03:25 PM
63 123