Does AirPlay 2 mean possibly new routers?

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
AirPlay 2 doesn't seem to be in anything at the moment. Is it due to the limits of hardware? If that is the case, and AirPlay 2 is supported in new hardware, like in a new Apple TV, then wouldn't they also release other AirPlay 2 compatible devices? Surely they wouldn't release just one, the new Apple TV.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. AirPlay 2 is a software update that allows for multi-device streaming.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Not necessarily. AirPlay 2 is a software update that allows for multi-device streaming.

For the devices streaming the music, like iOS and Mac devices, it can be through an update, but what about the devices they are pushing audio to? Are there any that support it now? And why would they wait so long to push out an update to their current routers? Would they wait until the day it comes out to have everyone update their Airport base stations? I would think that they would have updated their routers before now so that beta testers can beta test. But there's been no beta tests for it; is it because the existing stations aren't compatible and need better hardware? That's what I'm hoping for.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For the devices streaming the music, like iOS and Mac devices, it can be through an update, but what about the devices they are pushing audio to? Are there any that support it now? And why would they wait so long to push out an update to their current routers? Would they wait until the day it comes out to have everyone update their Airport base stations? I would think that they would have updated their routers before now so that beta testers can beta test. But there's been no beta tests for it; is it because the existing stations aren't compatible and need better hardware? That's what I'm hoping for.
The devices that the audio is being pushed to are endpoints that plays what is being streamed. Why would they need to be updated? I mean, the focus of AirPlay 2 is the ability to multi-stream. Granted, I haven't read a good deal on it, but that's the gist of what I've gathered. If I've misunderstood your posts, I'm sorry.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
The devices that the audio is being pushed to are endpoints that plays what is being streamed. Why would they need to be updated? I mean, the focus of AirPlay 2 is the ability to multi-stream. Granted, I haven't read a good deal on it, but that's the gist of what I've gathered. If I've misunderstood your posts, I'm sorry.

Oh that makes sense, I guess the update would be necessary for the device pushing the audio. Dang. I was hoping for new routers lol

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
In the meantime, waiting for Airplay2, here is my cheap solution to stream music and podcast sync to multiple speaker in my 2 story house.

It work great and I drive it by voice via Echo Dot by saying
"Computer, turn on FM" cause the Airport and FM transmitter are plug
in a Wemo device !

And I can Play,pause,skip and control volume with my Apple Watch!

323708a535f7adc80bffec06ca99ed1f.jpg

Last edited:

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
In the meantime, waiting for Airplay2, here is my cheap solution to stream music and podcast sync to multiple speaker in my 2 story house.

It work great and I drive it by voice via Echo Dot by saying
"Computer, turn on FM" cause the Airport and FM transmitter are plug
in a Wemo device !

And I can Play,pause,skip and control volume with my Apple Watch!

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170928/323708a535f7adc80bffec06ca99ed1f.jpg

I love that the command is “Computer” No Star Trek fans here lol

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I love that the command is “Computer” No Star Trek fans here lol

Yeah Amazon added "Computer" on there list of name you could use with Amazon echo device !
And yes I’m a fan of Star Trek so couldn’t resisted...

Would not say no to "JARVIS" either !

Last edited: