Public Beta 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Have been playing with this beta on my 7 Plus for a couple days now. Please, somebody tell me that the new hardware will do something to make this seem like a worthwhile upgrade? Because right now, it's just some font changes and a couple other visual tweaks. Otherwise, this is a lot of same old same old. (The whole "Apple Pay over iMessage" improvement isn't really something that excites me too much.) I was really hoping the 10th Anniversary iPhone was going to lead to a greatly improved iOS as well.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Have been playing with this beta on my 7 Plus for a couple days now. Please, somebody tell me that the new hardware will do something to make this seem like a worthwhile upgrade? Because right now, it's just some font changes and a couple other visual tweaks. Otherwise, this is a lot of same old same old. (The whole "Apple Pay over iMessage" improvement isn't really something that excites me too much.) I was really hoping the 10th Anniversary iPhone was going to lead to a greatly improved iOS as well.

I’m sure Apple is hiding a few things in regards to iOS 11 on the upcoming iPhone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall them ever doing that.

There are several examples at this point of the iOS beta in the past. Portrait mode photo in iOS 10 is one example. 3D Touch in iOS 9. These were not announced until the iPhone announcements in September. (Portrait mode, obviously, came later to iOS 10.)

That said, I'll take excellent, steady evolution of iOS over flashy features every time. Making a list of user-forward interface features ignores all of the upgrades and additions to the API that make the OS and the apps that the phone and iPad run more powerful. As for user-interface function, we already see big differences in multitasking and the dock on the iPad, plus control center on the iPhone, and, if the rumors of the new phone that doesn't have a physical home button and Touch ID sensor are true, in the iPhone as well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There are several examples at this point of the iOS beta in the past. Portrait mode photo in iOS 10 is one example. 3D Touch in iOS 9. These were not announced until the iPhone announcements in September. (Portrait mode, obviously, came later to iOS 10.)

That said, I'll take excellent, steady evolution of iOS over flashy features every time. Making a list of user-forward interface features ignores all of the upgrades and additions to the API that make the OS and the apps that the phone and iPad run more powerful. As for user-interface function, we already see big differences in multitasking and the dock on the iPad, plus control center on the iPhone, and, if the rumors of the new phone that doesn't have a physical home button and Touch ID sensor are true, in the iPhone as well.

Didn't those features you mentioned require new hardware, such as the 3D Touch sensors? I refered to software, not hardware of the new iPhone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Didn't those features you mentioned require new hardware, such as the 3D Touch sensors? I refered to software, not hardware of the new iPhone.

Maybe you weren't, but, to recall the conversation, @sangs said, "Please, somebody tell me that the new hardware will do something to make this seem like a worthwhile upgrade?". To which @TripleOne replied, "I’m sure Apple is hiding a few things in regards to iOS 11 on the upcoming iPhone." To which you replied, "I don't recall them ever doing that."

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you weren't, but, to recall the conversation, @sangs said, "Please, somebody tell me that the new hardware will do something to make this seem like a worthwhile upgrade?". To which @TripleOne replied, "I’m sure Apple is hiding a few things in regards to iOS 11 on the upcoming iPhone." To which you replied, "I don't recall them ever doing that."

LOL. And they don't hide software to announce at the September keynote event. Not that I recall. They've tried to hide all the new hardware. May be surprises there.

iPh6ne6

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Just got the beta on my 7

Seems decent. Only thing I only like at the moment is how quickly the phone unlocks.

I wish Apple would introduce swipe gestures for the keyboard.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Just got the beta on my 7

Seems decent. Only thing I only like at the moment is how quickly the phone unlocks.

I wish Apple would introduce swipe gestures for the keyboard.

There’s third party keyboard apps if you want to use swipe gestures. I do hope that Apple will introduce it onto their own keyboard in the near future.

iPh6ne6

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Do not Disturb while driving doesn’t work for me.

It’s set to ‘automatically’ and I am still able
To access my phone driving at 50mph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen