Double click to camera.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
You are saying that a button with six functions (and maybe more) is not complicated?
You are also saying that adding a seventh (or maybe eighth, etc) function would be an unnecessary complication?

Why do you assume that I didn't give feedback to Apple already? I already told you that I might have done.
And why are you badgering people for supporting a request from someone else for a clearly rather popular feature? We are testing out the idea out by discussing it - that's the point of these forums, right?

Now, let's get back on topic. So far, the only arguments against are:
1. I don't want it. Fair enough, but people who don't want to use it don't have to. I don't personally use every feature of my phone, but I'm not asking for any to be dropped.
2. It's unnecessarily complicated, which I think we have disproved above.
Any more?
It's completely unnecessary. There are already multiple ways to EASILY open the camera app. You are just choosing to argue against using those multiple existing ways.

C'est la vie

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The power button already has multiple functions:
On/off, dismiss a call, calling Emergency number, showing the medical info and such.
Adding a double tap will only complicate the functionality of that button more.
As you know, complicating stuff goes against everything what Apple stands for.

Maybe, but, let's face it - the home button already has a ton of different functions. Single click, double-click for the recent task list (or spaces in iOS 11 iPad), double-tap for reachability, triple click for a number of functions in settings / accessibility. I think people wanting a double click of power for camera sounds reasonable. Or some way with gestures (i.e., raise to wake and turn landscape with the phone held vertically.)

Motorola has the twist the phone twice to launch the camera, so I'm sure that's got some weird patent on it, or that might not be a bad gesture, either.

You can always turn it off if you don't want it.

Of course, you can always "Hey Siri, take a photo" if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I doubt if they’ll change it. It’s convenient to swipe left & double clicking is extremely convenient for Apple Pay.

The OP was talking about double-clicking the power button, not the home button, but you can add that function to the list of home button functions in my earlier post.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The OP was talking about double-clicking the power button, not the home button, but you can add that function to the list of home button functions in my earlier post.

Gotcha! Thanks for pointing that out. I misread the post. However, I still feel swiping left is just as easy from the lock screen.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't aware. Thought it would be an appropriate topic given the forum it was posted in

I started that thread and people lost their ****, as if I asked for Apple to use an Android OS. Change, albeit minor change, scares people apparently. Don't rock the boat man! :D

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's less about ease of use and more about speed. You can open the s8 camera faster than the iPhone one every time.

With "raise to wake" enabled, I can get a cam shot off in less than a second with swipe left. That's fast enough for me. But I haven't needed to to be in that much hurry for a shot yet.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
With "raise to wake" enabled, I can get a cam shot off in less than a second with swipe left. That's fast enough for me. But I haven't needed to to be in that much hurry for a shot yet.

I totally agree. This is my experience as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR