iOS 11 beta using excessive data?

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Since I went with the iOS beta my data usage has been off the chart. Just general iPhone system usage has used almost 4gb of data since the upgrade. Anyone else seeing this?
53ca8793084e39bf6edaa379f4b7e4e6.png

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: 11 beta using excessive data?

I’ve been on wifi a lot too, I got a text message saying I was at 30gb at 9:00am then at 11 I got a text saying I was at 32gb. I wasn’t even using my phone.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: 11 beta using excessive data?

Haven't noticed it but will keep an eye on it. Had to restore last night so my historical info is gone, otherwise I'd look now.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes that is high and odd. On my iPad (10.5”) haven’t noticed anything odd, I use it quite a bit over cell/LTE.

Pcrispy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Since I went with the iOS beta my data usage has been off the chart. Just general iPhone system usage has used almost 4gb of data since the upgrade. Anyone else seeing this?//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170715/53ca8793084e39bf6edaa379f4b7e4e6.png

Do you have the iMessage Cloud sync turned on? Mine used 3GB of data in about an hour as it uploaded all of my messages in the background after turning that on and allowing it to use data. I'm on unlimited so it doesn't matter, but otherwise that would be a lot of data used. Of course it only uses that amount once and then incrementally uses more as your new messages get uploaded, so maybe not a big deal.

mawhayden

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have IOS 11 Public Beta 2 on my iPad Pro and iPhone 7 Plus. The nes Beta has caused numerous crash and re spring but I found that my Data has gone up in the last couple of weeks but this is due to the new Apps that are using more Multi Media such as Flipboard .

Jim_MAY

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Since I went with the iOS beta my data usage has been off the chart. Just general iPhone system usage has used almost 4gb of data since the upgrade. Anyone else seeing this?//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170715/53ca8793084e39bf6edaa379f4b7e4e6.png

Very funny the way everyone is using iOS11 like everyday software, then to hear them complain when they have a major issue. It's a beta, which means it's not ready for the real world. There are going to be BUGS, lots of BUGS.

Most websites right are saying not to install iOS 11. If you are having issues, stop complaining, it's beta software!!!

DonaldLouch

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, my phone used almost 500MB of data (which is over my portion of my families shared data) in two days :( I have disabled iMessage iCloud Synicing, I have turned off location tracking and a number of background process within many apps, I have further disabled data overall and the latter seems to be the only fix so far. I did a few other things, but I can't remember what I did. I found that the data usage was from WiFi Services, whatever that means.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, my phone used almost 500MB of data (which is over my portion of my families shared data) in two days :( I have disabled iMessage iCloud Synicing, I have turned off location tracking and a number of background process within many apps, I have further disabled data overall and the latter seems to be the only fix so far. I did a few other things, but I can't remember what I did. I found that the data usage was from WiFi Services, whatever that means.

Welcome to iMore! :)

Go to Settings > Cellular and scroll all the way down. Make sure WiFi Assist is also disabled.

DonaldLouch

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Robert!!!

That's one of the other things that I have tried! I also enabled it and disabled it again to see if that was it and nope :(. I also disabled iCloud as well as, WiFi Calling.

Kizzy Catwoman

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
My data use seems normal. I am in the UK. Can't bring unop the image you used as we don't have a cellular option. Under mobile data it doesn't show usage like yours does. But i have only used half a gig in last 15 days.

Brian_Em

Aug 26, 2017
Visit site
Oh yeah, I'm getting SLAYED over here on data.

It was my assumption that Apple was collecting diagnostic analysis information and sending that back to their servers for machine learning algos to process, pass findings onto the dev team that then use that information to optimize and refine the OS further.

Brian_Em

Aug 26, 2017
Visit site
Side note: those that have noticed a massive uptick - are you also on the WatchOS Beta?

I am on that as well and suspected that the new notifications style was slightly more data intensive (images), but additionally, if my previous theory was true, that diagnostic information is being sent back from that OS through your phone as well.

Just some thoughts for you...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711