I had it for barely 5 hours, GLADLY went back to iOS 10.3.X, I for the first time am appalled that this is what apple is offering as "software." It completely goes against the ease of use and simplicity that is iOS. It has now become painstakingly slow and twice as long to do anything. Crazy, I never though I would reach my pinnacle with updating apple software...
    06-28-2017 12:36 AM
    iOS 11 is still in beta, it is not an official release yet. There will be a great many things improved before official release in September. I myself don’t see much of a difference in usability on iOS 11. We’ll see how it turns out in the end though,
    06-28-2017 01:40 AM
    Did you expect a polished finished build in this beta? Beta testing is not for everyone. You can check out the official release in September.
    06-28-2017 07:28 AM
    Yeah, there are definitely rough edges to this beta, but often, design decisions are made with the next version of the hardware in mind. Some of this will make much more sense with the next iPhone.
    06-28-2017 07:39 AM
    Understand what beta software is before you put it on your device.
    06-28-2017 07:44 AM
    I get that Beta is Beta......

But I am trying to understand exactly what direction Apple is going.
    Spencerdl, anon(73368) and tr1ad like this.
    06-28-2017 08:46 AM
    Understand what beta software is before you put it on your device.
    I've been a wireless user and beta tester of multiple operating systems for 15+ years, so making a statement like that proves how short minded and asinine your line of thought is.

Apple clearly has no direction with what they are looking to accomplish with this version of iOS. Rather they simply released I believe to satisfy the masses and get something out there. They would have been fine sticking with iOS 10 as a design language.
    Matt Manahan and dannejanne like this.
    06-28-2017 08:50 AM
    I've been a wireless user and beta tester of multiple operating systems for 15+ years, so making a statement like that proves how short minded and asinine your line of thought is.

Apple clearly has no direction with what they are looking to accomplish with this version of iOS. Rather they simply released I believe to satisfy the masses and get something out there. They would have been fine sticking with iOS 10 as a design language.
    Since you are veteran Beta tester then I'd think you'd know that a lot can change between now and the final release. Commenting that a Beta is slow is asinine in my opinion. When the Gold Master comes out and you aren't happy with it feel free to comment on it. Until then I'd wait and see what the final version looks like.
    06-28-2017 08:54 AM
    The overall design of this abomination of an operating system will not change between now and September. Mark my words.
    06-28-2017 08:55 AM

Agreed!!
    Spencerdl likes this.
    06-28-2017 08:56 AM

I’m trying hard to understand what made you post this. I have been on the betas for over 3 years and can’t say I see much difference between iOS 10 and iOS 11.

In your opinion, what is so much different in iOS 11 that you don’t understand or agree with?

Since you are veteran Beta tester then I'd think you'd know that a lot can change between now and the final release. Commenting that a Beta is slow is asinine in my opinion. When the Gold Master comes out and you aren't happy with it feel free to comment on it. Until then I'd wait and see what the final version looks like.
    +1, exactly this ^^
    06-28-2017 08:57 AM
    The overall design of this abomination of an operating system will not change between now and September. Mark my words.
    I agree with you! Don't see the overall design changing. I'm not a fan of Cook personally.
    06-28-2017 08:59 AM
    Each operating system version gets steadily better with features and steadily worse with performance simultaneously — even on newer hardware.

Yup, the dock had vanished. Again. - THis is on official builds over the past year...

iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus appears to suffer from significant and reproducible frame drops when carrying out certain tasks (frame drops that are not present on hardware such as the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6s

Smooth animation is critical to good UI. A shaky, jumpy UI is hard on the eyes and constantly gives you the feeling that something has gone wrong or that a crash is imminent. A jumpy UI also breaks the illusion that the icons and apps running on the screen are real, as opposed to just a choreographed series of animations.

Again, I am trying to figure out what is going wrong and what direction Apple is head as none of this is anything new........

I’m trying hard to understand what made you post this. I have been on the betas for over 3 years and can’t say I see much difference between iOS 10 and iOS 11.

In your opinion, what is so much different in iOS 11 that you don’t understand or agree with?

+1, exactly this ^^
    libra89 and taz323 like this.
    06-28-2017 09:13 AM
    I can't judge the smoothness or the reliability of the OS because it's still in beta. But from a visual and usability standpoint...iOS 11 really hasn't grabbed me yet. I was really excited for it on the iPad. After using it, and playing with the Files.app (which is what I was most excited about), I'm not too impressed. I'm going to hold full judgement until September but so far I'm not so sure.

The Files.app is slightly confusing and limited in what it can truly do. It's not the file system I was hoping for nor does it offer the features I was hoping we'd get on a Pro level device.

The multitasking portion is really nice.

I'm still trying to figure out how to remove apps from the right side portion of the dock when I no longer need them.

I'm also still trying to figure out how to close out of a pinned application such as Messages when I'm also in another application such as the browser. Specifically the overlay application which is in a minimized form on the side.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-28-2017 09:23 AM
    Beta 1 was great on 7+ but beta 2 is just backwards. A lot less battery life and a lot more bugs. Never seen this happen before in a beta.
    06-28-2017 10:27 AM
    I guess I was actually looking for more of a "GAME CHANGER" type of iOS.....This isn't it (iOS 11).
    Quis89, libra89 and Matt Manahan like this.
    06-28-2017 10:32 AM
    I guess I was actually looking for more of a "GAME CHANGER" type of iOS.....This isn't it (iOS 11).
    I completely agree. I feel as though we got some small changes presented as earth shattering additions. Sure, the changes are welcomed. But there was nothing that really impresses me. Overall, I'm still underwhelmed, unfortunately.
    Spencerdl and Matt Manahan like this.
    06-28-2017 10:46 AM
    Remember back in the day of a smooth OS, no issues anyone ever mentioned. Speed, etc. Haven't seen that since iOS 5 or 6. I am not looking for a game changer as some stated, but fix what has been an issue(s) for a while now....
    06-28-2017 10:51 AM
    I agree with you! Don't see the overall design changing. I'm not a fan of Cook personally.
    At this point I don’t think we will see a major design change in the near future. Even Android doesn’t have any major design changes anymore.

Each operating system version gets steadily better with features and steadily worse with performance simultaneously — even on newer hardware.

Yup, the dock had vanished. Again. - THis is on official builds over the past year...

iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus appears to suffer from significant and reproducible frame drops when carrying out certain tasks (frame drops that are not present on hardware such as the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6s

Smooth animation is critical to good UI. A shaky, jumpy UI is hard on the eyes and constantly gives you the feeling that something has gone wrong or that a crash is imminent. A jumpy UI also breaks the illusion that the icons and apps running on the screen are real, as opposed to just a choreographed series of animations.

Again, I am trying to figure out what is going wrong and what direction Apple is head as none of this is anything new........
    I don’t know when Apple will get around to the rock vanishing bug. Some people like it and intentionally remove the dock. I’ve never had an issue with performance on an official release, but it does feel like Apple doesn’t spend enough time the first time around and have to push updates all year round. Maybe my eyes can’t see it, but I never really see frame rate issues either. I can’t comment on the jumpiness of iOS as I’ve been on betas for the last couple years and have always chalked it up to beta. I don’t think anything is going wrong, Apple is just tying to give people more things they want in an easy to use manner. I don’t anticipate much of anything “new” from Apple anymore, not with Samsung and others pushing out so many features all the time.

I can't judge the smoothness or the reliability of the OS because it's still in beta. But from a visual and usability standpoint...iOS 11 really hasn't grabbed me yet. I was really excited for it on the iPad. After using it, and playing with the Files.app (which is what I was most excited about), I'm not too impressed. I'm going to hold full judgement until September but so far I'm not so sure.

The Files.app is slightly confusing and limited in what it can truly do. It's not the file system I was hoping for nor does it offer the features I was hoping we'd get on a Pro level device.

The multitasking portion is really nice.

I'm still trying to figure out how to remove apps from the right side portion of the dock when I no longer need them.

I'm also still trying to figure out how to close out of a pinned application such as Messages when I'm also in another application such as the browser. Specifically the overlay application which is in a minimized form on the side.
    Yeah, Files is not a file explorer like we all wanted, but it’s still nice to go to one app and open files from multiple sources. The apps on the right side of the iPad dock are just recent/most used apps. They can either be on or off, and that can be toggled in the settings. What do you mean pinned app? Are you talking about split screen? iOS 11 now allows a moveable window for that, I don’t know if there’s an easier way to close it, but you just put it side by side and swipe close it like before.

Beta 1 was great on 7+ but beta 2 is just backwards. A lot less battery life and a lot more bugs. Never seen this happen before in a beta.
    Apple also released a lot of new features and turned on more stuff in beta 2. So it doesn’t really surprise me that battery life took a hit.

I was hoping for something big as well, but I think we’re done seeing anything of that magnitude. Maybe Apple will release some features in a cool way, but nothing game changing.

I like to play devils advocate, but really, iOS has hit its stride. Without opening up the OS or more of it to developers, we’re about as good as we’re going to get. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see Apple making the changes necessary to give people the iOS they really want.
    06-28-2017 10:53 AM
    Honestly iOS works great when it has no bugs. All I want is the basic functionality of the OS to work properly in beta. Closing apps should not be broken in beta like this nor should I never see a none updated battery usage screen. These are the bugs that are annoying me. Other than that it works flawlessly.
    06-28-2017 11:00 AM
    I consider beta to work fully to the core OS null when it is in beta... I will give Apple that. But you can't tell me that from iOS 7 full release builds to now on ios 10 things have been solid. If you say so, your turning a blind eye.....

Honestly iOS works great when it has no bugs. All I want is the basic functionality of the OS to work properly in beta. Closing apps should not be broken in beta like this nor should I never see a none updated battery usage screen. These are the bugs that are annoying me. Other than that it works flawlessly.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    06-28-2017 11:03 AM
    For me complete builds of the last 2 have been rock solid. Look I have had less trouble from iOS vs Android and trust me if it weren’t for the Note 7 fiasco I would not be on Apple. Aside from all the bugs I have yet to ha e an app crash but then again I did get the 256Gb 7+. Not exactly sure about iOS 7 & 8. 9 up have been fine for me. Guess we will see if Apple can iron out the as I call it re re bugs.
    06-28-2017 11:10 AM
    I consider beta to work fully to the core OS null when it is in beta... I will give Apple that. But you can't tell me that from iOS 7 full release builds to now on ios 10 things have been solid. If you say so, your turning a blind eye.....
    You are correct and I fully agree. For me, Apple has consistently tip toed into areas that I like to see. But they never fully jump in the pool. They tease around it and that is one of the most frustrating things to me. I get that it "just works" and it definitely "does what I need". But it could do so much more in comparison to the competition. I feel as though they are limiting it's capabilities at times. I'm starting to agree with @metllicamilitia when he says we are probably seeing iOS "as good as it is going to get". It's just a matter of accepting that or moving to another OS. But there are enough positives with iOS where I'll probably just deal and continue to use my iPhone as my primary device. (Which is probably exactly what they're banking on lol)

I honestly think it's outrageous to willingly install a beta build and complain about stability on any level. It's a beta. You can't really expect anything to work properly in beta. It is for this reason that I didn't install it on my iPhone and instead placed it on my iPad, which doesn't get used nearly as much and I'm not as dependent on it.
    kimmaree likes this.
    06-28-2017 11:15 AM
    Look I am not complain per se. I’m just pointing out that some things in beta shouldn’t be broken. Yes and now that I opened my mouth I had my first app close out which was this one. Battery life I consider is an issue because it is beta and I assume it is sending data to report issues as it runs. All in all the bugs are still less in Apple’s beta than Android official non beta. And installed because I wanted watch OS4 for the HIIT workout. I can deal with the bugs just wish one they working in beta 1 didn’t mean it may be broken in beta 2. But hey it is what it is and I like the changes they have made and hope the next beta fixes those.
    06-28-2017 11:25 AM
    Everything in beta can and could be broken, but not in a official release..... There is a distinctive difference. I don't like the changes as nothing with in the core OS is being fixed.... This is coming from history of beta releases that eventually went official and guess what. It's still not working correctly. My device is used in real life, not recordings or screen captures in Keynote as they present them....

Look I am not complain per se. I’m just pointing out that some things in beta shouldn’t be broken. Yes and now that I opened my mouth I had my first app close out which was this one. Battery life I consider is an issue because it is beta and I assume it is sending data to report issues as it runs. All in all the bugs are still less in Apple’s beta than Android official non beta. And installed because I wanted watch OS4 for the HIIT workout. I can deal with the bugs just wish one they working in beta 1 didn’t mean it may be broken in beta 2. But hey it is what it is and I like the changes they have made and hope the next beta fixes those.
    06-28-2017 11:39 AM
145 123 ...