iOS 11 is [emoji17]*** Awful

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Agreed @duckduckgoose, the new Keyboard on iPad is great (mind you I find myself typing with the SmartCover most of the time).

I can appreciate some of the feelings around that are focused on how multi-tasking now works, for me my main frustration was with finding the right way to switch audio output source before my audio or video starts to play (mainly trying to re-aquire my Earpods).

In iOS 10 this was a swipe up, swipe left and choose from the drop box previously.
In iOS 11 it is now aswipe up, press and hold the music playback control, choose from the list of audio destinations.
Not a great deal of change in the long run when I look at it, but a chance in muscle memory no doubt

I understand that Apple is likely thinking that we should be choosing our audio destination from within the app playing the content, problem is in many cases the playback controls in Videos don’t appear until the video starts playing or I don’t actually use the app at all to start playback (double tap gesture).

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 11 is 😔*** Awful

Some of those quirks you mention date back to freaken iOS 7!

Yup.. iOS[FONT=&quot] has been like that in general since the launch of iOS 7. Apparently very few like to admit it or either they can't see it. Apple promise 60 fps throughout the system but I have not seen it since iOS 6.........[/FONT]

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Yup.. iOS[FONT=&quot] has been like that in general since the launch of iOS 7. Apparently very few like to admit it or either they can't see it. Apple promise 60 fps throughout the system but I have not seen it since iOS 6.........[/FONT]

Seems plenty of people nowadays don't like to admit any truth, lol

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

That’s not it.
Plenty of people don’t experience iOS the way you and @John Yester do.
There is nothing wrong with that, I personally don’t recognize your criticism in myself and I’m definitely a power user with very high standards.

Agreed! I personally am very pleased with IOS and it only Keeps improving. Looking forward to iOS 11.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
iOS 11 is 😔*** Awful

Two topic post:

I’ve been beta testing programs since the DOS version of Managing Your Money in the mid ‘80s (!) [redacted] I’ve never expected anything more than a buggy program, and enjoy helping to eliminate bugs via feedback. It’s a voluntary choice, and there is never a reason to criticize the developer.

Q: In every version of iOS, streaming video apps like MLB, CNN, and ESPN do not permit you do anything else, i.e., multitasking, with the iPhone or iPad while you’re watching, or the video and sound just stops. I was told this had to do with the way the third party app was written. Is it that, or is it something that could be made to work through the iOS?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Q: In every version of iOS, streaming video apps like MLB, CNN, and ESPN do not permit you do anything else, i.e., multitasking, with the iPhone or iPad while you’re watching, or the video and sound just stops. I was told this had to do with the way the third party app was written. Is it that, or is it something that could be made to work through the iOS?

Apple started with including music videos in Music.
I have a lot of those in my library.
Whenever I start playing one and go to another app the playback stops.
I have to slide up Control Center and tap the play button to hear the music again. It then continues playing, regardless of what you’re doing on your iPhone.
I don’t know if other apps support this as well, but it would truly be a welcome addition.

sboj_evets

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
Re: iOS 11 is God Awful

I Agree 100% with this.. Its still VERY new. Give it time, and they will fix up the bugs a they gather more data. Its the same with almost every single Beta release. Now worrying just yet ;)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Two topic post:

This is not an iOS bug. It's up to the App developers whether to allow sound in the background while not on the app. Xfinity Stream recently added the option to hear sound in the background while not on the app. There's a trick that works for YouTube. Not sure if it works for those apps you mentioned.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Here's the option in Xfinity Stream :

8bbf5f2d0c0aa013a98f2f26bbcf9431.jpg

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Yes, I found the Background Audio toggle in Xfinity, and it does work with Xfinity. I can't find it for any of the other apps that I mentioned. I wonder if it's an oversight on their part, or that they want to make sure you're paying full attention to their content.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Apple started with including music videos in Music.
I have a lot of those in my library.
Whenever I start playing one and go to another app the playback stops.
I have to slide up Control Center and tap the play button to hear the music again. It then continues playing, regardless of what you’re doing on your iPhone.
I don’t know if other apps support this as well, but it would truly be a welcome addition.

On an iPhone I think this is working as intended. Hitting the Home button caches the current app, which puts it in a suspended state until you're ready to use it again. Now on my iPad it works as like you want... dragging another app over the top of a video and the video keeps playing. You do have to fiddle with it a few times to get it to work, but that's beta life and obviously something they're working on.

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't like the direction in design they seem to take in iOS 11. I rather like they keep the iOS 10 design language as it is. They make it harder to use it.

The new App Store is hard to get an overlook in. Too big images. The new Messages app looks like it has ads in it because of the icons/stickers at the bottom. So ugly. I'm not a fan of the new notification center either which looks like the lock screen. For the first time ever I might skip to upgrade when the update comes. I'm dissapointed in what I have seen so far for the most part. Bad design choises. Steve would never had allowed this.

gjh1978

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the direction in design they seem to take in iOS 11. I rather like they keep the iOS 10 design language as it is. They make it harder to use it.

The new App Store is hard to get an overlook in. Too big images. The new Messages app looks like it has ads in it because of the icons/stickers at the bottom. So ugly. I'm not a fan of the new notification center either which looks like the lock screen. For the first time ever I might skip to upgrade when the update comes. I'm dissapointed in what I have seen so far for the most part. Bad design choises. Steve would never had allowed this.

I couldn't agree more, I've tried to use both betas in hope that the design language and changes would grow on me.

Not even close..I for the first time am 1000% content to stay on iOS 10.3.3 on my iPhone 7 and hopefully when iOS 12 releases, Apple will have realized their errors and correct the software back to the stable, user-friendly version it is on iOS 10 and previous iterations.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Not even close..I for the first time am 1000% content to stay on iOS 10.3.3 on my iPhone 7 and hopefully when iOS 12 releases, Apple will have realized their errors and correct the software back to the stable, user-friendly version it is on iOS 10 and previous iterations.

How did you determine that the official release of iOS 11 will not be stable, or as stable as iOS 10?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW