What do you hate about iOS?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hate is such a strong word, but there are a few things I don't like about iOS. It must be known, however, that I came from Nexus devices so backups and custom roms were a weekly / almost daily thing for me. :)

The biggest thing I don't like is lack of customization, specifically a transparent dock. I'd love to be able to see ALL of my wallpaper when I look at my screen.

However, in the 15 months I've been on iOS from Android, I have not had and real complaints about the device or the ecosystem.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
It's cool that iOS is Unix but I don't like the fact that it's based largely on FreeBSD when everyone knows that's the lamest BSD. OpenBSD and NetBSD rock.

Luke pruitt

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
hate is a little too strong, I don't really hate anything about ios 11. I love running the beta and it's cool, but dropping the old 32 bit/need to be updated apps has caused a lot of consternation with the kids, some of their favorite games won't work now (I know that's the app developer's problem not the ios). Also I miss 3D touch on the edge of my iPhone to bring up the app switcher, but I'm hoping something better is in the works like on the iPad version of the ios 11 switcher.

masaoota

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I hate the way you move and position the cursor on the screen with your finger. Still never works easily for me and the way the magnifying glass positions itself is counter intuitive.
The fact the onscreen keyboard doesn't have numbers or easy access to them (maybe this is being fixed in iOS11) as it makes typing really slow
App switching is really slow without a keyboard - again may get better with iOS11
Files not syncing to the devices drive

indoctrahol

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: what you hate in the iOS ?

I completely agree with this. The only work around is to have iTunes match, match your library to the cloud, then you can use the Apple Music app to download anything on your music app. It will also go into any third party app that you may be using.

I use this all the time.

In conjunction, you can also remote back to your computer to put music into iTunes, let iTunes match throw it in the cloud and download. It's a work around, but I do it a lot.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
- Default apps
- Alarm volume is linked to device volume
- Settings are a jumbled mess in my opinion (after almost two years I still have to hunt for stuff)
- Why for the love of dog do I HAVE to have my icons in a static grid?
- Notifications suck - please group them by app at least, it's just a cluster eff
- No split screen even in the Plus phone

stevebert

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do you hate about iOS ?

My pet peeve is Music EQ. Why is it buried so deep in preferences when it should be up on the current playing song panel? I listen to many genres of music, even in the same sitting. I think that EQ should be quickly accessible. At the very least, assign default EQs for genres of music, or for the particular headphones or Bluetooth connected device. Just my 2¢.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes and no. Unless you don't want max volume on your alarms, there's a setting switch to not change alarm volume with the volume rockers.. Its been in iOS for a long time.

If you use the bedtime setting in the clock, which has only been available since iOS 10. But if I have different alarms, they are the same as my ring volume. It can't be hard to have a completely different setting.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I completely agree with this. The only work around is to have iTunes match, match your library to the cloud, then you can use the Apple Music app to download anything on your music app. It will also go into any third party app that you may be using.

I use this all the time.

In conjunction, you can also remote back to your computer to put music into iTunes, let iTunes match throw it in the cloud and download. It's a work around, but I do it a lot.

To whom are you in agreement?

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
The only thing I dislike is having to use iTunes to make or use a ringtone. There are apps on Android I use to use to make a ringtone or download one with no issues. Frustrating but not a deal killer.

stevebert

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

You misunderstand my request. What you're pointing at are manual PRESET EQ settings. You have to manually switch from one to another (or "Off/Flat" to disable) by navigating down to Settings>Music>EQ. This setting does not change when different genres of music play one after the other. Also the labels on these EQ settings are not mapped to any actual genre in the Music app (this EQ scheme has been around since early iPod days). What I would like to see are EQ settings that are automatically activated when particular tracks play that are tagged as Classical, Rock, Heavy Rock, Jazz, etc. For instance, I could pick the "Jazz" EQ as the default for classical, jazz or world music, but "Off" as the default for all other music genres. My other, equally imported, request is that EQ setting be promoted to the top level of the Music app so that I can quickly change EQ without having to navigate back to settings.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You misunderstand my request. What you're pointing at are manual PRESET EQ settings. You have to manually switch from one to another (or "Off/Flat" to disable) by navigating down to Settings>Music>EQ. This setting does not change when different genres of music play one after the other. Also the labels on these EQ settings are not mapped to any actual genre in the Music app (this EQ scheme has been around since early iPod days). What I would like to see are EQ settings that are automatically activated when particular tracks play that are tagged as Classical, Rock, Heavy Rock, Jazz, etc. For instance, I could pick the "Jazz" EQ as the default for classical, jazz or world music, but "Off" as the default for all other music genres. My other, equally imported, request is that EQ setting be promoted to the top level of the Music app so that I can quickly change EQ without having to navigate back to settings.

Understood.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Is this available on other OS's such as Android? It sounds interesting but I've never seen it before or may have overlooked it. If not it sounds like something you should speak to Apple about if you haven't already.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
That's fine, however I was speaking on the way I use my device. I'm aware that pip is possible with the native video player (on the iPad)

There are plenty of 3rd party apps that support Picture in Picture. It’s up to the app developer to support it. Though I have been using the PiPifier plugin which helps for those that don’t.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

This would be a nice game changer in my opinion. I would use the Music app more.

SvenJ

May 27, 2017
Visit site

Install iCloud on your windows computer if you don’t have already, then simply drag and drop the movie to your iCloud Drive and you have what you wished for.

No, you have uploaded your content to the cloud over some data connection, possibly the Wifi in your house then your isp, then downloaded your content back from the cloud, likely over that same internet connection and Wifi. You got the job done, but transfer via USB cable is so more efficient, faster, and cheaper since you do pay for your bandwidth/data.

SvenJ

May 27, 2017
Visit site
The keyboard. It has to be the worst of the various mobile OSs. Partly good news is that you can change it now, but it reverts back to stock whenever you are trying to put in a password which is exactly where it is dismal. Not a single special character or number without switching views. How long did it take them to realize you can show lower case? Swipping? Who would want that. It still boggles my mind how they overtook Blackberry, back when their keyboard was king.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711