Display Resolution of the iPhone vs other smartphones

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
hello,
recent high end android phones tend to have a Display Resolution that is better than the current iPhone 7.
for example the samsung galaxy S8 has a Display Resolution of 2960 x 1440 (567ppi) while the iPhone has 1334 x 750 (326ppi).
i have tried both phones and i liked both of them, but for my uses the ppi is enough for the iPhone. maybe when the phone is used as a VR or AR device it is better to have higher ppi.
what do u folks think about the Display Resolution ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I don’t give any thought to resolution. I mean, it’s not something I focus on. As long as I can see what’s on the screen and it’s clear, then I’m okay with it.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
hello,
recent high end android phones tend to have a Display Resolution that is better than the current iPhone 7.
for example the samsung galaxy S8 has a Display Resolution of 2960 x 1440 (567ppi) while the iPhone has 1334 x 750 (326ppi).
i have tried both phones and i liked both of them, but for my uses the ppi is enough for the iPhone. maybe when the phone is used as a VR or AR device it is better to have higher ppi.
what do u folks think about the Display Resolution ?

If we were talking a large screen TV monitor or video projector, then high resolution really shines. But for small phone screens, it is mostly hype and glory.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If we were talking a large screen TV monitor or video projector, then high resolution really shines. But for small phone screens, it is mostly hype and glory.

And a waste of battery life. Every one of those pixels have to be lit with the display on, and which pixels need to be lit which color has to be calculated, and if the resolution is higher than you need, you are wasting sparse resources.

It's probably more important for vr goggles, but you'll never see me with those ridiculous things on anyway.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I have to agree with the others. Why should it matter? Most screens are good enough to do what you need to do, why pay more and have shorter battery life?

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey @vitaliesolomon 😃 Having the higher PPI for day to day use isn't a big deal for me and I think the iPhone 7's display is perfectly clear enough. Apple do a lot of work to make it look great

The higher screen resolution only really becomes useful when it's used in combination with VR (which I don't use anyway) so my wallet & eyes are happy.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I've said it when I owned an Android. Anything past a 960 on a 5" and 1080" on a 5.5 is useless and nothing but specs improvement on paper. Normal viewing distance, you cannot notice a difference between a 1080 screen and 1440 screen. I have done this test and people cannot notice a difference. The colors are different that has nothing to do with pixel density.

Last year, I talked about a dream spec phone and it would be a 5.5" 1080 screen with a 5000mah battery and top of the line specs. I never cared for anything higher then 1080 but most flagship phones shipped with 1440.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711