It's always a long time coming between IOS releases, and for me I always seem to just have too high of expectations for Apple. What would you have liked to have seen in IOS 11 that they haven't implemented this time around?

I recently converted my lifelong Android using sister to iPhone and she mentioned the lack of customization in iMessage. I know iMessage is supposed to be sleek and extra user friendly, but I would like to differentiate messages beyond the green and blue. I'd like to see a little more customization as far as message bubbles or the window in general that would still keep it sleek and very iMessage. I've been caught in the crux of accidentally opening iMessage and being in a previous conversation and seeing that it was a "green window" and sending a message that wasn't intended for that person, maybe out of sheer laziness of not looking at the top and seeing a name.

I'd like to break up my inner circle vs my professional circle by color, whether a different background or a different color bar on top or even changing the message bubbles.

I know there are apps out there that you can download, but I'd like it to be integrated into the actual system. There's always an app for that and I don't want to play that game with my most favorite feature amongst Apple products.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
    06-21-2017 09:21 AM
    For me, a dark mode and customizable home screen would suffice now. I don’t need the full customization of Android, I’m a simple man. Just being able to decide where I put my apps and being able to change the icons would be nice. In conjunction with that though, iOS would need to have some sort of app drawer that wasn’t the home screen.
    camaroz1985 likes this.
    06-21-2017 09:26 AM
    It's always a long time coming between IOS releases, and for me I always seem to just have too high of expectations for Apple. What would you have liked to have seen in IOS 11 that they haven't implemented this time around?
    What I have always wanted - more control of notifications. I want to have the notification tone picker available to any app, to customize the sound as I want. I understand that ESPN want their app to make that horrific sound that they play on their TV network, but I never want to hear that from my phone, ever. I want to be able to make any app vibrate while others make sound while others do both. I'd like notification "handoff" - so if I clear a notification on an iPad, it clears on my iPhone and Mac and watch. All of these would be optional, of course, so the defaults would be to be as everything is now - just give more control to people like me, who want to be able to better control notifications and give better clues when I should look at my phone when I hear a specific tone, etc.

I no longer allow control center on my lock screen, because I don't want somebody who finds or steals my phone to be able to turn networking on or off (particular Airplane mode). But, if control center allowed some controls to not be available when the phone is locked, that would be great. (The same goes with Siri - allow you to specify only some controls that work when the phone is locked.) That includes turning off access to the camera from the lock screen - I like that control, but I know that others wish that they could turn that off.

I'd like to be able to access the App Store from iCloud on the web, so that I could direct my iPhone or iPad to install an app from the web interface, rather than dealing with it on the device - similar to what Google allows on the Play Store.

I wouldn't mind seeing Apple do something else that Google offers for the Pixel phone - have iCloud Photo Library not count against your iCloud storage limit. Let everybody have iCloud Photo Library if they want to without having to pay for more than 5 GB of storage. I'd also like to see full metadata sync for the Photos app, so every face, etc., has the same photos on all of my devices. I know that they have started this with iOS 11, so any faces that you specify get synced, but I don't want my iPhone and iPad and Mac to show a different set of people and photos of people (which is what has already happened.)

Like it already does with phone calls, I'd like the option for "Do not disturb" to allow iMessages/SMS from favorites to make a sound.

I'd also like to see one more borrow from Google - create an on-screen CarPlay interface for the iPhone when it senses that you are driving and are plugged in, so that you can more safely interact with the phone. (Not for me - I don't interact with the phone when I am driving - but for everybody else driving out there who might be close to me.) I can understand the reluctance to do this, however. From a potential liability point of view, it's probably safer to go the "block all notifications" way.
    06-21-2017 11:08 AM
    For starters a "REAL" Dark Theme (NOT enhanced "invert colors"), and removal of the shaded bottom home dock and/or the ability to turn them on and off.
    06-21-2017 11:19 AM
    For starters a "REAL" Dark Theme (NOT enhanced "invert colors"), and removal of the shaded bottom home dock and/or the ability to turn them on and off.
    I agree. I'm sick of these white themes also.

Cheers
    06-21-2017 12:37 PM
    I second notification hand off! It makes me crazy getting off the iPad and pulling my phone off the charger and there's a dozen notifications
    06-21-2017 01:29 PM
    Trackpad/Mouse Support.
    Apple did a great job addressing iOS insertion point issues with iPhone/3d touch and iPad/two finger drag. I great job until you get serious about entering text. Once that external keyboard goes on the whole thing becomes an old school mess. If an external pointer helps me get “pro” stuff done on my iPad Pro just let me do it.
    06-21-2017 02:14 PM
    Custom themes, or at least a new UI. I'm getting bored of the current UI. There should be a theme store where 3rd parties can make themes. Also, I'd like to be able to customize icons, but also customize icon shapes, the OS text, colors, etc. Homescreen/lock screen widgets would also be awesome!

This isn't really an IOS 11 thing, but I want Apple to make an iMessage app for android, I'm tired of SMS!
    06-22-2017 01:32 AM
    Custom themes, or at least a new UI. I'm getting bored of the current UI. There should be a theme store where 3rd parties can make themes. Also, I'd like to be able to customize icons, but also customize icon shapes, the OS text, colors, etc. Homescreen/lock screen widgets would also be awesome!

This isn't really an IOS 11 thing, but I want Apple to make an iMessage app for android, I'm tired of SMS!
    I totally agree. But I highly doubt it since it's a distinctive feature of iOS, they won't bring it to Android.
    06-22-2017 04:15 AM
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing
    06-22-2017 04:19 AM
    Dark mode hands off it was most desired feature but apple took pass on it, maybe add in the future.
    06-22-2017 09:29 AM
    I totally agree. But I highly doubt it since it's a distinctive feature of iOS, they won't bring it to Android.
    See, I always hoped when I was going through my Android phase that Apple would concede. I especially got my hopes up when they released Apple Music on Android...then my hopes kind of went down for there.

Now that I've been on Apple for almost a year again I'm really glad I'm part of the exclusive iMessage club.
    06-22-2017 01:29 PM
    See, I always hoped when I was going through my Android phase that Apple would concede. I especially got my hopes up when they released Apple Music on Android...then my hopes kind of went down for there.

Now that I've been on Apple for almost a year again I'm really glad I'm part of the exclusive iMessage club.
    I agree.
    06-22-2017 01:40 PM
    Dark mode hands off it was most desired feature but apple took pass on it, maybe add in the future.
    My guess is that they're waiting for a device with an OLED display before they add a dark mode. Since the rumor is that the iPhone 8 may have one, and that the iPhone 8 may not ship at the same time as an iPhone 7s and 7s Plus this fall, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens that the iOS 11 that ships with the iPhone 8 will get a true dark mode. They may not want to tip their hand on the OLED display yet.
    BoneCollecter likes this.
    06-23-2017 11:50 AM
    My guess is that they're waiting for a device with an OLED display before they add a dark mode. Since the rumor is that the iPhone 8 may have one, and that the iPhone 8 may not ship at the same time as an iPhone 7s and 7s Plus this fall, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens that the iOS 11 that ships with the iPhone 8 will get a true dark mode. They may not want to tip their hand on the OLED display yet.
    Agree with you it may come with iPhone 8 right out of box or they may added it later.Apple is known for keeping secrets
    06-24-2017 05:08 AM
    I would like to have an option to change the notification sound of the apps of our choise.
    06-26-2017 10:28 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing Apple do something else that Google offers for the Pixel phone - have iCloud Photo Library not count against your iCloud storage limit. Let everybody have iCloud Photo Library if they want to without having to pay for more than 5 GB of storage.
    Worth to mention is that is available only if you chose to compress your images. If you want them full resolution you still have to use your storage. I think that is the case also for Pixel phones? Or are they excluded and allowed full res backup?
    06-26-2017 01:39 PM
    Pixel allows full res backups. A very nice feature.
    06-26-2017 03:55 PM