Will we ever be able to change the 'theme' in iOS 11?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
iOS 11 still can't change theme?

Yes, it’s still not possible to make your own themes. I doubt if Apple will ever introduce that.

I have been with iOS for a very long time and haven’t got bored yet.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: iOS 11 still can't change theme?

You can download icon packs if you’re ok with hiding the original apps and having a second delay in opening the apps.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site

That is one thing that I love about Android, which is the ability to customize just about everything. Though there are drawbacks to that...

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site

I am so bored with iOS UI and can't change the theme like android

That's one of the selling points of Android. If you feel the need for novelty in your UI, there's really no substitute to switching OS.

The stable UI is a selling point of Apple's iOS, BTW, for those of us who prefer stability to novelty. YMMV, it's all a matter of preference. Do what you have to do. :)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I am so bored with iOS UI and can't change the theme like android

Welcome to iMore. I noticed that you didn't include which device you are currently using in your profile. If you're not already using an Android device may I suggest giving them a try. The Android platform has plenty of themes, and the best customization in the business.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

This seems like such a silly thing not to implement. Why won't they do it?

It doesn’t add to the user experience. It’s a gimmick.
Too much themes only makes apps and the OS bigger and clunkier. iOS is awesome in managing its RAM resources and the lacking of themes is one of the reasons why.

craigrn16

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site

As a person that owns both an iPhone 7 and a Google Pixel I must say I love the ability to customize on Android and turn the OS into whatever you want it to look like and that's before rooting. That's one of the reasons I'm between back and forth between both OS. Allowing some customization is not gonna reduce performance like that.

lanakaryatna

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site

Welcome to iMore. I noticed that you didn't include which device you are currently using in your profile. If you're not already using an Android device may I suggest giving them a try. The Android platform has plenty of themes, and the best customization in the business.

I have android device but not inserted in my profile and I haven't apple device but my friend have, so I can borrow apple friend and I look it for a while everyday. Then I got bored.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Yes, but I think you can download an app in App Store that offers theme.

You cannot apply themes to iOS. Apple does not allow it. There are some that offer custom icons and wallpapers but they’re nothing close to a “theme”.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes, but I think you can download an app in App Store that offers theme.

Oh how much I wish this were true, but unfortunately there are no themes for iOS in the Apple App Store. Moderator Rob is correct, Apple does not allow themes on iOS.

grob9642

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. Of course it would be nice if Apple simply ADDED enough RAM to make this a non issue but they don't seem to like that idea.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm kind of torn on this. I like customization to some degree, but I hate how you can pick up 3 different Android phones and they all feel foreign (but I guess that is what some people like). That is one of the things I love about Windows Phone. The start screen is immediately recognizable, but can still be customized in respect to color and layout, (and the live tiles are great).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I have android device but not inserted in my profile and I haven't apple device but my friend have, so I can borrow apple friend and I look it for a while everyday. Then I got bored.

You get bored because you can't customize? There's plenty to do on an iPhone to keep from getting bored. Many great apps that offer a lot to keep from getting bored. Maybe your friend doesn't have many.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. Of course it would be nice if Apple simply ADDED enough RAM to make this a non issue but they don't seem to like that idea.

It’s not about RAM. I have never heard any complaints about the RAM in iPhones, unlike android. With android it somehow never seems enough but that is a different story altogether.

Adding support to iOS is also asking developers to take that into account, making apps bigger than they already are. And don’t let me start on the size of iOS. It would take considerably more space on iDevices.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

As a person that owns both an iPhone 7 and a Google Pixel I must say I love the ability to customize on Android and turn the OS into whatever you want it to look like and that's before rooting. That's one of the reasons I'm between back and forth between both OS. Allowing some customization is not gonna reduce performance like that.

Exactly. Usually people who never tired android or gave it a fair shot always put down customization. All I ask with my iPhone is to be able to arrange icons how ever I want.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

Exactly. Usually people who never tired android or gave it a fair shot always put down customization. All I ask with my iPhone is to be able to arrange icons how ever I want.

I agree, that even just that would be a nice concession. I don't need icon packs or anything like that (I never used them or other launchers or anything on Android anyway).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711