Will we ever be able to change the 'theme' in iOS 11?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 11 still can't change theme?

It doesn’t add to the user experience. It’s a gimmick.
Too much themes only makes apps and the OS bigger and clunkier. iOS is awesome in managing its RAM resources and the lacking of themes is one of the reasons why.

Let's not trick ourselves into thinking the addition of themes would ruin the experience. It absolutely could be done. And it also does add to the user experience, which is anything the "user" "experiences" while using their device. There are many people who would welcome the addition of themes as a means to differentiate their devices. As someone who worked in the wireless industry, that was a common request/concern from people (primarily women) using Android inquiring about the iOS experience.

And the word "gimmick" is over used. 90% of what our phones do are "gimmicks". Doesn't make those things any less useful or desired.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site

Let's not trick ourselves into thinking the addition of themes would ruin the experience. It absolutely could be done. And it also does add to the user experience, which is anything the "user" "experiences" while using their device. There are many people who would welcome the addition of themes as a means to differentiate their devices. As someone who worked in the wireless industry, that was a common request/concern from people (primarily women) using Android inquiring about the iOS experience.

And the word "gimmick" is over used. 90% of what our phones do are "gimmicks". Doesn't make those things any less useful or desired.
I agree with this answer. I don't see why the user experience would be any less by adding themes. I would love to be able move my icons around on my iPad. I think that a sizable group of people would love to be able to customize the launcher just even a little bit. Myself included. Apple could learn a few things from Android and vice versa...

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

I agree with this answer. I don't see why the user experience would be any less by adding themes. I would love to be able move my icons around on my iPad. I think that a sizable group of people would love to be able to customize the launcher just even a little bit. Myself included. Apple could learn a few things from Android and vice versa...
Totally agree, very well put.

Cheers

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree. I've themed my Galaxy S8, and if I'm being honest...within the last month and a half, my iPhone has frozen and randomly reset on my twice while my S8 has been completely smooth. So, in my opinion, the argument of clunkiness and instability as it relates to Android isn't what some make it seem. Apple has done some impressive things with their software. I believe they could enhance the user experience by adding themes and increased customization while still offering a smooth OS experience.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I can see it being a time waster constantly changing things around. I never did change the launcher on my Pixel and rarely moved apps around. Once I get it set the way I like I am pretty much good. I also didn't like a bunch of widgets on my main home screen. I had them on a separate screen so it was very similar to how iOS handles widgets.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site

Yes. Android and changing whatever. A huge timewaster.

Yes, it's a time-waster. But some people enjoy it. So if Apple wants to spend the development time to satisfy those requests I won't mind. I'll most likely ignore the new feature—I care about what happens after I open an app, not about the cosmetics of the home screen—but I won't object if it makes some people happy.

Ruurd Pels

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

The point is that you cannot have both. Just generalising here but people tend to think that that kind of functionality comes for free. No it does not. You can provide customisation of the interface OR you can make your phone OS safer, faster and more frugal with energy. But not both. Alas we all tend to be spoiled whiny brats that say "hey if you don't give me what I want I will go and buy something else" without realising what the trade-off is.

Ramrunner73

Apr 10, 2017
Visit site
3 different Android phones and they all feel foreign

Not QUITE true - these are all stock Android or so damn near stock it works the same:

Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P
HTC 10
Motorola MotoZ, Moto G4
OnePlus 3T 5
ZTE Axon

And I'm sure there's more. You use one of these then pick up another it will not feel foreign I assure you.

BUT

I absolutely get your point. iOS has a consistent GUI along the whole iPhone line.

If you get an Android hanset with STOCK Android it is the same thing though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73