Signal bar on iOS 11

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been able to change the signal bars to dB via Field Test Mode in iOS 11?

vanko987

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
Agreed, it's the number of marks that'll be somewhat of a pain to get used to, not their shape. Fortunately I can continue to have my iPhone show dBm numbers (right? they aren't taking that away, are they?) but it doesn't appear to be possible on the iPad. No dialer function even though it's cellular and has its own phone number. :p

Sadly, they did take this feature out :(. In beta 1, dBm isn't in field test anymore, so you can't use the glitch to make your iPhone show dBm anymore. Bummer, because I used this feature a lot!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, they did take this feature out :(. In beta 1, dBm isn't in field test anymore, so you can't use the glitch to make your iPhone show dBm anymore. Bummer, because I used this feature a lot!

The numeric field test is not an Apple feature. Your carrier provides that. If it no longer works, it could be Apple has blocked it either intentionally or unintentionally. Or the carrier no longer offers it.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
The numeric field test is not an Apple feature. Your carrier provides that. If it no longer works, it could be Apple has blocked it either intentionally or unintentionally. Or the carrier no longer offers it.

Aw man. Hopefully this doesn't stick.

vanko987

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site

Really? I always though it was Apple that controlled it, but I can see how it would be carrier related. I saw it in a video, and the person had T-Mobile, so maybe it's just on that network.

Do you know if dBm will still be on AT&T?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Really? I always though it was Apple that controlled it, but I can see how it would be carrier related. I saw it in a video, and the person had T-Mobile, so maybe it's just on that network.

Do you know if dBm will still be on AT&T?

No clue. I'm with Verizon and I'm on iOS 10.1.1.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The numeric field test is not an Apple feature. Your carrier provides that.

Do you have a source for this? I am almost 100% sure that this is just reporting the signal strength directly from the radio in the phone. I'm not sure exactly how the carrier would be able to tell the received signal strength of every device that is connected to a cell tower radio, or why it would waste bandwidth to broadcast what it thinks the received signal strength is.

I agree that this is not an "Apple feature" - it's in the firmware of the cellular radio.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a source for this? I am almost 100% sure that this is just reporting the signal strength directly from the radio in the phone. I'm not sure exactly how the carrier would be able to tell the received signal strength of every device that is connected to a cell tower radio, or why it would waste bandwidth to broadcast what it thinks the received signal strength is.

I agree that this is not an "Apple feature" - it's in the firmware of the cellular radio.

All the field test data is for the carrier. It's largely cell info the carrier uses. That's what I meant. It's more than signal strength. That too is for the carrier, not a feature for users.
a33207bc2ca96038d315b481075c35f9.png

7bfc1ca206f9c4306690c1d06fb96a45.png

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't really care if it is dots or bars, but I will admit, that I have seen a couple screenshots now that I thought were from Android phones. The dots were certainly distinctive.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've heard speculation that the switch to bars is to reduce the size of the signal indicator for the purpose of the supposed new iPhone which will have a reduced top bezel, with the speaker, sensors, etc., in the blank space of the status bar. I'm not sure that I believe that, and it's not like the circles take up a huge amount of space, but it makes sense if true.

MizJ1987

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
How do you get beta versions? Are they an invite? My phone just says software is up to date with 10.3.2. As for preference, I think I'd be ok either way