The numeric field test is not an Apple feature. Your carrier provides that. If it no longer works, it could be Apple has blocked it either intentionally or unintentionally. Or the carrier no longer offers it.
    Actually, it is an Apple supplied feature. Granted, the information is primarily for carriers to use and not for us end users, but the information comes from the phone -- it shows what type of signals the phone is receiving from the local cell antennas.

On my primary phone I currently have the numeric signal strength. On my backup phone, which is on the same account with the same carrier, I have the bars on the iOS 11 beta -- the numerical strength appears to not be an option in Beta 1.
    06-21-2017 07:51 AM
    Huge preference to the dots. Especially living in a rural area where those two or three dots make me queen.
    06-21-2017 08:13 AM
    All hail Queen of Dots!!
    libra89 and jekrispardgeek like this.
    06-21-2017 08:45 AM
    Personally I always preferred the circles, as they take up less space at the top. But meh, either one will work fine in the long run.
    jekrispardgeek likes this.
    06-21-2017 08:52 AM
    the signal bar gives you a more detailed way to know how strong your signal is.
    06-22-2017 09:00 AM
    Retro retreated. Most likely i accept all new changes in ios 11.
    06-22-2017 09:27 AM
    the signal bar gives you a more detailed way to know how strong your signal is.
    Actually the dots would. Apple gave us 5 dots but only 4 bars. It’s reading the same signal regardless. The most accurate signal reading is frequency, which can be gotten to pre iOS 11 using the Field Test Mode glitch.
    06-22-2017 09:46 AM
    Looks pretty good to me - it's new and fresh so I like it, for now lol.
    06-22-2017 11:18 PM
    Actually, it is an Apple supplied feature. Granted, the information is primarily for carriers to use and not for us end users, but the information comes from the phone -- it shows what type of signals the phone is receiving from the local cell antennas.

On my primary phone I currently have the numeric signal strength. On my backup phone, which is on the same account with the same carrier, I have the bars on the iOS 11 beta -- the numerical strength appears to not be an option in Beta 1.
    Yes, I clarified that in post #29 . It's an Apple feature, but for the carriers, not for the users. The only useful bit of info there for us is the signal strength numeric value.
    06-23-2017 05:29 AM
    Personally I always preferred the circles, as they take up less space at the top. But meh, either one will work fine in the long run.
    Same!
    06-23-2017 06:18 AM
    Actually the dots would. Apple gave us 5 dots but only 4 bars. It’s reading the same signal regardless. The most accurate signal reading is frequency, which can be gotten to pre iOS 11 using the Field Test Mode glitch.
    Yeah, the reduction from five marks to four is the only thing I have reservations about.
    06-23-2017 07:54 AM
    Yeah, the reduction from five marks to four is the only thing I have reservations about.
    I never understand why that matters to so many people. If I have a bar (or dot) I am good, the data "3G", "LTE", etc. indicator is much more important to me.
    06-23-2017 08:53 AM
    I never understand why that matters to so many people. If I have a bar (or dot) I am good, the data "3G", "LTE", etc. indicator is much more important to me.
    Can't speak for others, but for me when I'm searching for a spot to park my motor home it makes a huge difference whether the campsite has one bar or three bars. Three means that the signal will usually stay reliably on LTE, while the one-bar site will often fluctuate and go to 3G or even 1x instead of LTE. I speak from experience—full-time RV traveler for the past six years.
    06-23-2017 09:03 AM
    Can't speak for others, but for me when I'm searching for a spot to park my motor home it makes a huge difference whether the campsite has one bar or three bars. Three means that the signal will usually stay reliably on LTE, while the one-bar site will often fluctuate and go to 3G or even 1x instead of LTE. I speak from experience—full-time RV traveler for the past six years.
    That makes sense, and is definitely something I never have had to consider haha. You are one of the people that would probably benefit more with a numerical reading like the field test mode.
    Tinkernaught likes this.
    06-23-2017 09:21 AM
    Again, that's why I'd prefer a more stoplight control. Green for great, maybe a yellow for marginal, red for a bad signal. There is no universal standard for number of bars equals a particular signal, and Apple even famously changed the strength they used for each bar when the iPhone 4 antenna attenuation issue happened. These are digital signals, not analog. It's either good enough or it's bad.

See https://qz.com/92866/apples-signal-s...whole-new-way/
    06-23-2017 10:56 AM
    Again, that's why I'd prefer a more stoplight control. Green for great, maybe a yellow for marginal, red for a bad signal. There is no universal standard for number of bars equals a particular signal, and Apple even famously changed the strength they used for each bar when the iPhone 4 antenna attenuation issue happened. These are digital signals, not analog. It's either good enough or it's bad.

It's the relative strength that matters to me the most, even if the absolute value of, say, "two bars" varies. How *close* am I to a marginal signal? Green doesn't inform me how close I am to getting a marginal yellow.

And that's why I hope the Field Test "bug" is reinstated in iOS 11.
    06-23-2017 11:12 AM
    Yeah for me, one dot is bad but two dots is decent, three is very good, four is great and five is excellent, but I prefer the dBm much more.
    06-23-2017 11:56 AM

Personally, I'd prefer just having the numeric dBm value there. Granted, users would need to learn what the numbers mean, especially that is -75 or lower is very good, while above -100 is very weak. But having the numbers means you don't have to worry about what each bar or dot represents.
    06-23-2017 02:08 PM
    They could also change the numbers to 0-100 instead of -50 to -120 or whatever it is. I think the bars or dots are done to hide what the values really are. Like has been pointed out elsewhere, 3 dots now isn't 60% of the signal you get with 5 bars, it might only be 10-20% difference.
    06-23-2017 03:10 PM
    Personally, I'd prefer just having the numeric dBm value there. Granted, users would need to learn what the numbers mean, especially that is -75 or lower is very good, while above -100 is very weak. But having the numbers means you don't have to worry about what each bar or dot represents.
    Each network type has different signal strengths for each dBm. -110 is no signal on CDMA or GSM but fair on LTE. (The difference is about 23 dBm; -87 on CDMA is about the same at -110 on LTE.)

Again, green circle for good signal, red square for bad. That's all you need to know. Apple likes to keep things simple for people, so should consider it, imo.
    06-23-2017 03:21 PM
    Each network type has different signal strengths for each dBm. -110 is no signal on CDMA or GSM but fair on LTE. (The difference is about 23 dBm; -87 on CDMA is about the same at -110 on LTE.)

Again, green circle for good signal, red square for bad. That's all you need to know. Apple likes to keep things simple for people, so should consider it, imo.
    That might be all that you need to know. I need to know more, as I've explained a couple times. If Apple followed your advice I would very reluctantly switch away from iPhone. It's that important to me.
    06-23-2017 03:44 PM
    It's the relative strength that matters to me the most, even if the absolute value of, say, "two bars" varies. How *close* am I to a marginal signal? Green doesn't inform me how close I am to getting a marginal yellow.

And that's why I hope the Field Test "bug" is reinstated in iOS 11.
    I still have dots. At home, I show -114 most of the time. That's 1 dot. I don't ever have issues with that. No dropped calls or anything. But 1 dot could be bad if it went beyond -120. So I see your point.
    Did you see this?

06-23-2017 04:28 PM
    I still have dots. At home, I show -114 most of the time. That's 1 dot. I don't ever have issues with that. No dropped calls or anything. But 1 dot could be bad if it went beyond -120. So I see your point.
    Coincidentally, I had -114 dBm LTE when on my couch when I first arrive here as a volunteer. Good enough, but when I stood and moved around it would often drop to 3G. Too borderlne.

Forty feet away another volunteer site opened up. I tried it: -104 dBm LTE when relaxing in that same couch position. And it stays LTE no matter where I walk within my motor home.

A short distance made a big difference; being able to walk around with Dbm displayed on my iPhone made it easy to discover that better site.

Sure, maybe most people don't really need Dbm or even bars/dots. Some of us, however, make use of it quite often and it makes a difference in the quality of our lives.
    Last edited by Tinkernaught; 06-23-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    06-23-2017 04:39 PM
    Coincidentally, I had -114 dBm LTE when on my couch when I first arrive here as a volunteer. Good enough, but when I stood and moved around it would often drop to 3G. Too borderlne.

Forty feet away another volunteer site opened up. I tried it: -104 dBm LTE when relaxing in that same couch position. And it stays LTE no matter where I walk within my motor home.

A short distance made a big difference; being able to walk around with Dbm displayed on my iPhone made it easy to discover that better site.

Sure, maybe most people don't really need Dbm or even bars/dots. Some of us, however, make use of it quite often and it makes a difference in the quality of our lives.
    Is there an app that shows this if Apple does away with the ability to change to the dBm? Might be something that could help people that use this feature like you do.
    06-26-2017 08:28 AM
    Is there an app that shows this if Apple does away with the ability to change to the dBm? Might be something that could help people that use this feature like you do.
    That would be nice, but I haven't seen one. I think the dBm-stuff access level is too deep for appa. It needs to be an Apple thing.
    06-26-2017 09:00 AM
76 1234