The numeric field test is not an Apple feature. Your carrier provides that. If it no longer works, it could be Apple has blocked it either intentionally or unintentionally. Or the carrier no longer offers it.
    Really? I always though it was Apple that controlled it, but I can see how it would be carrier related. I saw it in a video, and the person had T-Mobile, so maybe it's just on that network.

Do you know if dBm will still be on AT&T?
    jekrispardgeek likes this.
    06-13-2017 05:39 PM
    Really? I always though it was Apple that controlled it, but I can see how it would be carrier related. I saw it in a video, and the person had T-Mobile, so maybe it's just on that network.

Do you know if dBm will still be on AT&T?
    No clue. I'm with Verizon and I'm on iOS 10.1.1.
    06-13-2017 07:32 PM
    The numeric field test is not an Apple feature. Your carrier provides that.
    Do you have a source for this? I am almost 100% sure that this is just reporting the signal strength directly from the radio in the phone. I'm not sure exactly how the carrier would be able to tell the received signal strength of every device that is connected to a cell tower radio, or why it would waste bandwidth to broadcast what it thinks the received signal strength is.

I agree that this is not an "Apple feature" - it's in the firmware of the cellular radio.
    libra89 and jekrispardgeek like this.
    06-13-2017 07:58 PM
    Do you have a source for this? I am almost 100% sure that this is just reporting the signal strength directly from the radio in the phone. I'm not sure exactly how the carrier would be able to tell the received signal strength of every device that is connected to a cell tower radio, or why it would waste bandwidth to broadcast what it thinks the received signal strength is.

I agree that this is not an "Apple feature" - it's in the firmware of the cellular radio.
    All the field test data is for the carrier. It's largely cell info the carrier uses. That's what I meant. It's more than signal strength. That too is for the carrier, not a feature for users.

Last edited by Ledsteplin; 06-23-2017 at 05:31 AM.
    06-13-2017 09:08 PM
    I don't really care.
    06-13-2017 10:37 PM
    The bars are really cool !!
    06-13-2017 10:43 PM
    Aw man. Hopefully this doesn't stick.
    Yeah, hopefully it's just a beta thing. Searching DuckDuckGo for Field Test Mode I came across mentions of it going missing in iOS 4.x then coming back the next update, so it could be temporary like that.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-14-2017 01:16 AM
    I think it actually looks pretty good...
    06-14-2017 02:06 AM
    I remember everybody making a big stink when Apple went from the bars to the dots. I tell you Apple can not win no matter what they do ...
    06-14-2017 07:58 AM
    I remember everybody making a big stink when Apple went from the bars to the dots. I tell you Apple can not win no matter what they do ...
    I want stars!
    ★★★★★
    06-14-2017 08:41 AM
    I want stars!
    ★★★★★
    ...now thats what I'm talking about!!!
    06-14-2017 12:12 PM
    I don't really care if it is dots or bars, but I will admit, that I have seen a couple screenshots now that I thought were from Android phones. The dots were certainly distinctive.
    06-16-2017 08:12 AM
    I've heard speculation that the switch to bars is to reduce the size of the signal indicator for the purpose of the supposed new iPhone which will have a reduced top bezel, with the speaker, sensors, etc., in the blank space of the status bar. I'm not sure that I believe that, and it's not like the circles take up a huge amount of space, but it makes sense if true.
    06-16-2017 10:40 AM
    I am voting YAY!
    06-16-2017 06:49 PM
    How do you get beta versions? Are they an invite? My phone just says software is up to date with 10.3.2. As for preference, I think I'd be ok either way
    06-16-2017 11:28 PM
    I like new signal bars in IOS 11. However, another big annoying bug, I noticed y'day, call screen when Call is on, key pad & other options aren't working, screen doesn't go out and calls not getting disconnected. IVRS mode calling is not possible at all. Only restart is the option to disconnect call.
    06-16-2017 11:45 PM
    How do you get beta versions? Are they an invite? My phone just says software is up to date with 10.3.2. As for preference, I think I'd be ok either way
    This beta is for registered developers. See the link at the bottom of https://developer.apple.com and instructions here: https://www.imore.com/how-download-i...developer-beta

There is a $99 annual fee for developers in order to see the iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS betas.

At some point in the next few weeks, there will be a public beta available, but the beta for iOS 11 is not yet available through the public beta program. See https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/ . The public beta program is free.
    06-17-2017 05:25 AM
    You need to have a developer account to officially obtain beta.
    06-18-2017 09:09 AM
    No clue. I'm with Verizon and I'm on iOS 10.1.1.
    Do you get those annoying pop ups telling you to update?
    06-18-2017 09:12 AM
    Do you get those annoying pop ups telling you to update?
    Occasionally to the beta. I have the profile on my phone. I try to keep the update deleted in settings >General > Manage storage, but it keeps coming back. It takes more than 2 gigs of space.
    06-18-2017 10:22 AM
    I'd love to see a screen shot of it.
    06-21-2017 01:53 AM
    I'd love to see a screen shot of it.
    Here you go:
    06-21-2017 01:55 AM
    This Signal bar on iOS 11 has changed, from the famous circle signal bar back to the original signal bar. What do you think? YAY or NAY?

I am a big fan, whilst I was ok with the dots, they were not my favorite.
    06-21-2017 02:07 AM
    Thanks for the screenshot!
    06-21-2017 02:35 AM
    Saving space is most definitely the motivation. It is growing on me the more I see it, and I'm sure by September it will seem natural. The really shocking change will be to everyone that isn't really interested in tech and just updates to iOS 11. To them it will be a shock, and I anticipate lots of "Where did my dots go?" questions from my family.
    06-21-2017 07:24 AM
76 1234