I dislike  Music. I dislike all streaming services. I want to buy and own tracks.
    I can se that i'm a minority.
    The music app on iPhone has been getting worse and worse with each new iOS version.
    Are there any positive changes in iOS 11 for users who prefeer NOT to use  Music?
    A basic function I miss every day, is the ability to list all songs from all albums from one artist*. Is that possible in iOS 11?
    Also i miss the Genius feature... still gone in iOS 11? 😞

*without making a playslist (either smart or regular, on iOS or iTunes)
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-11-2017 09:38 AM
    i just wish you wouldn’t need a need a credit card to start a free trial.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-11-2017 09:59 AM
    A basic function I miss every day, is the ability to list all songs from all albums from one artist*. Is that possible in iOS 11?
    I haven't installed the beta, so I do not know if iOS 11 is different/better/worse. However, you can do that in iOS 10. Hit the Search button on the bottom, change the search to "My library", and type the artist name. It'll show a listing for artist, Albums, but then also Songs.

Yes, not ideal...
    06-11-2017 10:00 AM
    I dislike  Music. I dislike all streaming services. I want to buy and own tracks.
    The music app on iPhone has been getting worse and worse with each new iOS version.
    Are there any positive changes in iOS 11 for users who prefeer NOT to use  Music?
    Also i miss the Genius feature... still gone in iOS 11? ������

Welcome to iMore. I'm not sure I agree with you about Apple Music getting worse with each update, but everyone has a opinion. I also like to own my music and there are PLENTY of apps that allows you to listen to "One Artist" and all of their songs/albums that are stored on your device. I use TunesFlow, Amazon Music, Boom, ectera, ectera. Is there anything positive about your iPhone you would like to share? Post often and Enjoy the site
    Last edited by Spencerdl; 06-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    06-11-2017 10:44 AM
    What I mean is that the Music app on iPhone is getting worse for people who prefer to not subscribe to  Music. I'm having trouble seeing this as anything other than a fact, but if you are already a Music user*, and like that experience, its probably not easy to see this the same way.
    Apple is trying to "persuade" people to pay for  Music.

Using a thrid party app to play music on an iPhone, is not a solution. Apps like that will always be a second class citizen on iOS (except if Apple makes it possible to define default apps to replace built-in features)
    I want the Siri intergration and all other benifits the system apps give me. (Earlier I could ask Siri "play more like this", but now I cant.)
    I dont have particularly spesialized needs or demands, I just think that they (Apple) are obviously softly "crippling" non- Music use of the Music app. Removing Genius and removing certain music-browsing alternatives from the app.

I have been using Apple products since 1990, and love my iMac, iPhone, iPad, tv etc.
    There is no alternative for me. All I can do is hope Apple is pushing the iPhone in the direction that suits me. Other than  Music related issues, they wery much have been

*I see in your comment that you like to own your music
    06-11-2017 11:13 AM
    Also i miss the Genius feature... still gone in iOS 11?

If the songs you have downloaded are well-organized and have their album, song title and artist name present in the music file itself, they can be listed by them.

But, if the songs you have imported come from “other” sources than the official way, they can have all sorts of id3 tags present that prevent the sorting feature from working.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    06-11-2017 11:23 AM
    i just wish you wouldn’t need a need a credit card to start a free trial.
    I could and did start a free trial without a credit card. It could be that it has changed but make sure you follow the steps as mentioned in this blog:
    https://m.imore.com/how-sign-apple-m...iphone-or-ipad
    Spencerdl likes this.
    06-11-2017 11:24 AM
    Using a thrid party app to play music on an iPhone, is not a solution
    I disagree, the Apple App Store has made a lot of money on many apps that found a solution including music apps.
    Tartarus and joemd60 like this.
    06-11-2017 11:36 AM
    What I mean is that the Music app on iPhone is getting worse for people who prefer to not subscribe to  Music. I'm having trouble seeing this as anything other than a fact, but if you are already a Music user*, and like that experience, its probably not easy to see this the same way.
    Apple is trying to "persuade" people to pay for  Music.

Using a thrid party app to play music on an iPhone, is not a solution. Apps like that will always be a second class citizen on iOS (except if Apple makes it possible to define default apps to replace built-in features)
    I want the Siri intergration and all other benifits the system apps give me. (Earlier I could ask Siri "play more like this", but now I cant.)
    I dont have particularly spesialized needs or demands, I just think that they (Apple) are obviously softly "crippling" non- Music use of the Music app. Removing Genius and removing certain music-browsing alternatives from the app.

I have been using Apple products since 1990, and love my iMac, iPhone, iPad, tv etc.
    There is no alternative for me. All I can do is hope Apple is pushing the iPhone in the direction that suits me. Other than  Music related issues, they wery much have been í*½í¸Š

*I see in your comment that you like to own your music
    According to your post I see you're invested in the Apple ecosystem. Have you thought about introduction to the iMore members. We actually have an introduction thread for new comers.
    Introductions

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...&share_type=sf
    06-11-2017 11:57 AM
    If the songs you have downloaded are well-organized and have their album, song title and artist name present in the music file itself, they can be listed by them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...295584afb4.png

But, if the songs you have imported come from “other” sources than the official way, they can have all sorts of id3 tags present that prevent the sorting feature from working.
    The tags in my collection are perfectly fine.
    You cannot do the following:
    From the view you show in your screenshot, navigate to a page showing, grouped by album, ALL songs by one artist

Like in iTunes:
    Music app on iPhone-itunes-screenshot.jpg

(did that work?)
    06-11-2017 12:07 PM
    I really enjoyed the music app back when it had albums in cover flow view.
    Tartarus likes this.
    06-11-2017 03:04 PM
    From the view you show in your screenshot, navigate to a page showing, grouped by album, ALL songs by one artist

Like in iTunes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iTunes screenshot.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	396.6 KB 
ID:	118667

(did that work?)
    It’s a little different, but if you go to Artist in the Music app, find the artist you want, tap on it and you’ll see her/his albums. Tap the album and you’ll see all songs.
    It’s not expanded like in iTunes on a computer, but yet it is there. See following screen recording

06-11-2017 03:14 PM
    I like Static Player
    06-11-2017 03:23 PM

(did that work?)
    Also, you can go to Songs in that overview and sort all songs by Artist, they automatically get sorted by album.

06-11-2017 03:26 PM
    I like Static Player also.
    06-11-2017 04:18 PM
    I prefer to own my music as well. Between Amazon and Apple which is where I buy my music, depending who is cheapest, or has what I want.
    Being a Prime member, Amazon is my go to for streaming.
    And there is in my opinion, nothing wrong with the Amazon music app on IOS.
    01-19-2018 05:14 PM
    Also i miss the Genius feature... still gone in iOS 11?

I believe the only function that may be missing is the genius feature. But even with that it still gives you playlist based on your liking. I personally prefer Apple above all streaming apps.
    Tartarus and joemd60 like this.
    01-20-2018 09:47 AM