iOS 11 - Impressions so far

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: iOS 11 - 48hrs later

I hope they're working now the Dark Mode.
There is the new 'smart invert' in accessibility and display settings which works fairly well. It does invert certain colours like the dock at the bottom on the home screen but most things look really cool. Just having this option give me a lot of hope that we will see Dark mode soon and I'm sure Apple is working on it. Apple know a lot of want it but they want to implement it properly.

If Apple can put a dark theme menu bar and dock in MacOS Sierra then IOS 11 deserves it to 😃

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site

I was in meetings out of town when it launched, I don't know that I want to test it on my phone however on my iPad Pro? I think that I am going to give it a whirl.

Good luck with it!

I'm going to wait for the public beta before deciding whether to try it on one of my devices. Probably not even then unless reports are that it's super stable and trouble-free.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

It means that I really don't care for iOS 11 at this time. Maybe it will grow on me.

Although I enjoy the small incremental additions, this is one of those times where I had hoped Apple made major changes to iOS being that it’ll usher in the 10th anniversary iPhone. Still, I’m thankful for iOS 11.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

I'm just not feeling iOS11 at the moment.

It’s the right move. The more and more I used my 7 Plus and iPad Pro, the more things went wrong. There is a reason why Apple held this build back from public beta testing. It’s just not good. But that’s part of the beta life.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

It’s the right move. The more and more I used my 7 Plus and iPad Pro, the more things went wrong. There is a reason why Apple held this build back from public beta testing. It’s just not good. But that’s part of the beta life.

It’s a great first beta. I am seeing more bugs as time goes on, but I still think it’s a great first beta. It’s only going to get better from here.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Although I enjoy the small incremental additions, this is one of those times where I had hoped Apple made major changes to iOS being that it’ll usher in the 10th anniversary iPhone. Still, I’m thankful for iOS 11.

It does seem like the 10th Anniversary would have been a great time to do a full redesign of the user interface, instead of sticking with the basic look it has now had for a decade. OTOH, I suspect they didn't want to have the issues with a new UI combined with their 10th Anniversary iPhone.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Apple never releases first betas to the Public; they tend to wait for the second beta, as they expect some major issues. With a new OS version this is typically worse, as some of the new features change the way the apps interact with the OS, meaning apps will often get strange errors on new betas. Basically, the first beta is largely for the developers to "fix" their apps to make the fixes they need to be compatible with the new OS.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Beside the carrier signal strength thst became bars instead of dots (Android-ish, yuck..) and the  TV Control Center remote not finding my  TV, I really like it!

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Or like the original iPhone? I've always disliked the dots; I think bars take up less space and give better visual information at a glance.

Taking up less space is the key I think. Dots or bars doesn't matter. I rarely look at it anyway.

Was just about to jump into beta, but seems a lot of people are having more problems (or the newness has worn off). I know it is a beta, and the first beta, so that is to be expected, but I am going to try to wait it out a little longer.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Taking up less space is the key I think. Dots or bars doesn't matter. I rarely look at it anyway.

Was just about to jump into beta, but seems a lot of people are having more problems (or the newness has worn off). I know it is a beta, and the first beta, so that is to be expected, but I am going to try to wait it out a little longer.

When I initially install iOS 11 beta OTA, there was a little lag. I’ve yet to experience any crashes, with the exception of the Trello app, but that doesn’t really count because an app update will fix it. The rest of my 3rd-party apps work flawlessly. Anyway, after I took some time to install a fresh copy of iOS 11 and set it up as a new device, I don’t even have any more lag or I should say rare lag. For a beta 1, iOS 11 is stable enough for a daily driver. In fact, I’m using it as a daily driver. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Pay, VPN, etcetera, all work. I’ve not experienced any dropped calls or wireless disconnections.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I prefer the dots. Easier to see.

I believe that is why Apple went to the dots. For those that had the older iPhones, Apple started with bars; the switch to dots appears to have been a response to "Antenna-Gate." It seems, not that Antenna-Gate has largely been forgotten, that Apple is now going back to bars. Of course, it is also thought that the bars, because they take less space, may be "needed" for the iPhone 8, which is now rumored to have the camera "blocking" part of the notification bar.

Also, I just noticed that they removed the db signal strength, replacing the bars, from Field Test mode in iOS 11. Hopefully that is just a missing feature from Beta 1 and will be added back in the final version.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods