Do Not Disturb While Driving

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Firstly, nice feature name there, Apple! ;)

I couldn't watch the keynote as I just can't get it to load where I am due to poor internet connection, so I am unsure if this question was addressed.

I have Carplay in my Honda and I get a ton of texts and calls whilst driving that need to be responded to immediately (which I do by voice, not by hand).

Can this DNDWD feature be disabled (or just not initially enabled) as I absolutely need to respond to the calls and messages when I get them?

Thanks folks

Ospot

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
From what I understand, yes, you can opt out. I believe there is also a White List that you can use to add individuals that bypass Do Not Disturb?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, yes, you can opt out. I believe there is also a White List that you can use to add individuals that bypass Do Not Disturb?

As long as I can opt out, i'm happy. I get lots of calls from numbers I don't know that I need to take (casting directors, directors, my manager, all my agents, other actors, students etc) and I can't whitelist them first as I won't have the numbers for some of them. I need to just get all calls and texts sent to Carplay whilst driving, like I do now.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If the word Urgent! is present a text message, it bypasses the dndwd automatically.
You can enable automated replies to let people know they have to type that if they need immediate attention.
Also, as said in an earlier reply, you can have certain contacts to bypass DNDWD at all times.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If the word Urgent! is present a text message, it bypasses the dndwd automatically.
You can enable automated replies to let people know they have to type that if they need immediate attention.

OK, a helpful option but not really a complete solution for me.

As long as I can disable DNDWD completely whilst i'm driving, so I can receive calls and texts from anyone, i'll be happy.

Can anyone on the beta confirm that DNDWD can be disabled completely please?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
OK, a helpful option but not really a complete solution for me.

As long as I can disable DNDWD completely whilst i'm driving, so I can receive calls and texts from anyone, i'll be happy.

Can anyone on the beta confirm that DNDWD can be disabled completely please?

There is a switch you can enable and disable it with.
You just have to go to Settings > Control Center and enable DNDWD to appear in it. With that switch you can enable or disable DNDWD. You can also let DNDWD know that you’re not the driver.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
You just have to go to Settings > Control Center and enable DNDWD to appear in it. With that switch you can enable or disable DNDWD. You can also let DNDWD know that you’re not the driver.

Thanks, being able to disable DNDWD is a must for me.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

So is this something I need to do every time I get into my car? Or can I toggle this off and it stay off permanently (unless manually toggled back on), regardless of how many times i'm in and out of my car?

Honestly, if I have to do it every time I get in, I know i'll forget and it's an extra chore i'd really rather not have.

And anyway, i'll be driving, so won't be able to get access to my phone, which stays plugged into Carplay and stowed in the centre console. So for the duration of that particular journey, i'll miss all my calls and texts which I am normally audibly notified of, and can reply by voice to text or can subsequently answer calls.

Some people will not send another text with 'Urgent' in the message. My friends might but the messages I get that need to be responded to are never from friends but from work colleagues and contacts who will get annoyed if they have to repeat messages with another word in it and may well not bother, causing me to potentially lose work.

You might not think this is a big deal for you but in my job, I absolutely need to answer the phone and respond to text messages as an when they come through at certain times of the day. Failure to do so has in the past led me to losing out on contracts that pay me a large sum of money (thousands of pounds in one particular case, where my Samsung shut itself off and I missed out on an urgent call and subsequent text from my agent on a role).

Can anyone with the iOS11 beta confirm that this can be shut off permanently, unless manually toggled back on, please?

This is kinda crucial for me.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@Highrisedrifter - pretty sure it can be disabled. You can set exceptions too. If someone is on your list, they get notified that you're driving, but can reply with 'urgent' if an urgent message is needed to pass through.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
@Highrisedrifter - pretty sure it can be disabled.

Thanks James. I get a lot of calls and SMS from people who are not in my address book to do with work, and I absolutely need to be able to receive those calls and text messages whilst driving and reply to them with voice. Obviously I can't whitelist those people.

Most of those people absolutely will not send another message with 'Urgent' in it. I know this for a fact. Some will, sure, but in my industry most will not, they will just skip on over to someone else and cite 'difficulty of contacting me' as one of the reason to not follow up. Trust me, i've had it before and lost thousands of pounds worth of work over it.

Ospot

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't see anywhere to set exceptions. All I see is the icon in the control center but nothing other than that? On or off I'm assuming? Is there somewhere else in settings to configure this? thx

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't see anywhere to set exceptions. All I see is the icon in the control center but nothing other than that? On or off I'm assuming? Is there somewhere else in settings to configure this? thx

It’s best to look for options when you’re connected to BT in a car, preferably a driving one. Let someone ride you and see if you can configure anything.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So will this work if I drive an older model car that does not have bluetooth capability?

No, you have to be connected to BT.
I tried it yesterday as I was in the back seat and it didn’t do anything. Enabling DNDWD from the Control Center didn’t work either.
So I gather it has to be connected to a bluetooth enabled car first.

I’m sure as time goes by more and more people will share information about the actual working of this feature.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I tried it yesterday as I was in the back seat and it didn’t do anything. Enabling DNDWD from the Control Center didn’t work either.
So I gather it has to connected to a first.

I’m sure as time goes by more and more people will share information about the actual working of this feature.

Thank you!!!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't imagine Apple would force this feature. The backlash would be swift. I would think you can opt out of this feature.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't imagine Apple would force this feature. The backlash would be swift. I would think you can opt out of this feature.

I believe there are still States in America where it’s not forbidden to use your phone behind the wheels. People from those states will indeed be furious if Apple forces this option.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
So I gather it has to be connected to a bluetooth enabled car first.

So is there a permanent opt out of DNDWD or not?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711