Cool feature, somewhat late...
    06-09-2017 10:36 PM
    From what I understand, yes, you can opt out. I believe there is also a White List that you can use to add individuals that bypass Do Not Disturb?
    Based on what they presented in the keynote, I think this feature is Opt-In, rather than Opt-out. They described getting a notification after the phone detects you've been in a car recommending you turn it on.
    06-16-2017 04:21 PM
    I think this is a nice feature but most of the people will use it just like Siri (show to other and little more) I say again maybe not you but like "most" of the normal not tech lovers like us. I think the majority just prefer look at a glance and decide not let the phone send messages to everyone without even know who your phone is messaging with. It could be even a privacy issue telling other that you're on the road and not at home,work etc....
    06-16-2017 04:46 PM
    Yes, you'll be able to disable it
    06-18-2017 01:25 PM
    To prevent accidents, All phones should be locked while driving. But usage of a phone, especially by a rear seat passenger should not affect driver attention? Even hands free phones take driver attention away from the road... This is where technology can cause safety problems...
    06-19-2017 06:42 AM
    To prevent accidents, All phones should be locked while driving. But usage of a phone, especially by a rear seat passenger should not affect driver attention? Even hands free phones take driver attention away from the road... This is where technology can cause safety problems...
    I’d rather have the ability to enable and disable that feature myself. As I said before, there are many situations wherein it’s perfectly safe to operate your mobile phone for a few seconds. This of course with taking safety serious.
    06-19-2017 08:07 AM
    I wonder if it's just for people trying to text/call and drive with the iPhone. Can anyone confirm if it only does dnd to the phone and not to CarPlay enabled devices?
    06-19-2017 03:34 PM
    I think this is a great feature. Can be used with teenagers and adults alike.
    06-19-2017 04:11 PM
    I wonder if it's just for people trying to text/call and drive with the iPhone. Can anyone confirm if it only does dnd to the phone and not to CarPlay enabled devices?
    I don't think that it can be officially confirmed yet, because the feature is not yet available on the developer beta, but Craig Federighi specifically mentioned that this feature was designed for people who do not use CarPlay - so I suspect that CarPlay will continue to work as before.
    06-19-2017 04:36 PM
    when i am driving i am turning off all calls and other phone notifications. u have to stay focused on the read for obvious reasons. ur life is more important then some SMS or ur job
    06-22-2017 05:44 PM
    I think that no phone should be useable while driving, it really is not safe, it is illegal in the UK and should be. Where I live, in Greater London, drivers not concentrating because of phone use are a constant hazard despite the fines being doubled, and some mini cab businesses seem to run entirely on mobile phones (rarely hands free) I think that a device that shuts off a driver's phone should be mandatory, because there will always be some clown that has convinced themself that they are better/different than the rest of us and can safely do whatever the rest of us can't. I won't enter the hands free safety arena apart to say to the OP that some of that money should be spent on a chauffeur !!
    06-23-2017 05:21 AM
    I am fine with anything you need to read being blocked. Phone calls, and Siri reading a message to you are another matter entirely. If you can't talk or listen and drive, you probably shouldn't be driving, and you certainly should never have a passenger unless you have a strict silence policy.

I am all for reducing distractions, but there is a practical limit to what you can do. That being said I race cars, and am way more comfortable driving 100 mph inches from another car on a track than I am driving 55 on the highway. There are currently too many distractions for drivers and not enough regulation. I see DND as a great alternative to those that can't resist the urge to look at their phone, or who aren't using an infotainment system with CarPlay.
    Tartarus likes this.
    06-23-2017 09:01 AM
    Ultimately, though, it's up to drivers to ignore their phones while they are driving. As powerless as we pretend we are to ignore them, it's absolutely not true, and if non-distracted driving is more important to you than checking your notifications (or texting) you'll leave them.
    06-23-2017 10:01 AM
    One time I was driving for 8 hours straight with only stops for gas and toilet and didn’t get distracted as my by-rider was sleeping. I almost dozed a few times off and suddenly my phone rang. I picked it up on the car radio and immediately regained all my attention and lost whatever it was that made me doze of in the first place.
    Moral of the story, distractions are more than necessary on the road, but in the right proportions.
    I wouldn’t call touching a phone is more distracting than changing the radio station. It is what you do with the phone that’s important here.
    Sending texts is a no go, period, reading one, however can be perfectly safe.
    No amount of regulation can stop me from doing that.
    06-23-2017 11:39 AM
64 123