So will this work if I drive an older model car that does not have bluetooth capability?
    During the keynote they said that it can also be enabled by detecting how fast you are moving (using WiFi doppler effect to measure your movement.) So, connecting to a know BT automobile is one signal, but movement at a particular speed is another.
    Tartarus and Annie_8plus like this.
    06-07-2017 11:47 AM
    That also entails not texting or driving while waiting at a traffic light or in traffic with no movement, on a long straight road with few to none cars around you without any intersection coming soon.
    I know that in my state, which has a law that disallows using a handheld device while driving, using the device at a stoplight is also a violation. And as somebody who regularly sits behind some ***** who doesn't move for several seconds when the light changes because they are fiddling with their phone and not paying attention, and as somebody who regularly runs on roads that are very straight and sees people fiddling with their phones while they are driving, I say let's hope this catches on.

I could see some state making it mandatory, as a matter of fact.
    Last edited by doogald; 06-07-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-07-2017 11:51 AM
    I can agree that physically holding your phone and texting is not safe (no matter how straight or empty the road is), but I have no issue with voice operation (like with CarPlay). Having DNDWD is a good option for those that cannot be bothered or do not want to be bothered while driving, but it should not be mandatory, and it does seem like it is an option in iOS 11.

I used this feature when it was introduced on Windows Phone several years ago. It is good to see it make its way to iOS.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-07-2017 12:02 PM
    Ok, I'm looking to jump back on iPhone this weekend after a brief 3 month window going from my 6S to a GS7 Edge.

Before I grab the 7 Plus instead of the GS8, I want to make sure I'm understanding this correct.

I can in fact permanently disable this DNDWD feature.

I work in trucking, and my phone is Bluetooth connected to my stereo all day. I may use it to watch a movie while in a dock loading and listen to it over the stereo, but more critically, I'll get calls or notifications on route updates and construction closures all day long. If those are blocked, I won't know to pull over and address them, and could be 2 hours past before I make my next stop.

Averaging 10 plus stops a day over a huge chunk of the state, this is a total no go for me.
    06-07-2017 02:41 PM
    I can in fact permanently disable this DNDWD feature.
    As I understood it from the keynote, either at initial setup or after your first drive, the phone prompts if you'd like to turn the feature on. I don't think you have to disable anything - I think it is off by default until you activate it.

What I wish Apple would do instead is to steal a page from Android and activate the Car Play home whenever it senses that you are driving, so you have all of the benefits of Car Play - large touch targets in particular.
    06-07-2017 03:35 PM
    As I understood it from the keynote, it only works if you have carplay in you're car...
    06-07-2017 03:56 PM
    As I understood it from the keynote, it only works if you have carplay in you're car...
    Ok, that would make more sense. However, if that's the case, that's too bad.
    06-07-2017 04:26 PM
    My understanding was the opposite - Craig Federighi introduced it as a solution for people who *don't* have CarPlay in their car.
    06-07-2017 05:44 PM
    I have BT in my car and no apple car play, iphone (IOS 11 beta 1) is connected with BT in my car and the DNDWD feature is not working.
    Tartarus likes this.
    06-07-2017 05:52 PM
    I have BT in my car and no apple car play, iphone (IOS 11 beta 1) is connected with BT in my car and the DNDWD feature is not working.
    Watch the keynote: https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2017/

Starting at 68:50...

If it's not working now, perhaps it will work better in later betas.
    06-07-2017 08:07 PM
    @doogald, you're right. This will work in later betas...

iOS 11.0 Beta Release Notes:

Do Not Disturb
    • Do Not Disturb While Driving is not enabled in this beta. (32232545)
    Ospot likes this.
    06-07-2017 09:27 PM
    Firstly, nice feature name there, Apple!
    It's these types of features that make me love IOS that little bit more. My mom has always been very bad with leaving her phone alone while driving and as soon as it makes a noise she tries to answer a call or reply to a text at a robot (Traffic light).

So for her, this will be a great feature to have and I will definitely make sure it's turned on and functioning well 😃 it's really important to stay safe on the roads and I think this feature will help that.

We are always so connected to our phones but sometimes it's important to have that disconnect for a couple minutes. 😃
    06-08-2017 04:30 AM
    This is so useful! What I like about Apple is that they cared about the safety of the user.
    06-08-2017 07:48 AM
    This is so useful!
    It really isn't if your income is dependant upon communicating with clients. In my world this can cost a lot of money.
    Tartarus and bluesqueen23 like this.
    06-08-2017 11:21 AM
    Has anyone tested this in a car in real life?
    06-09-2017 09:23 AM
    Has anyone tested this in a car in real life?
    According to what I’ve read is that it’s not yet available for use. The icon is there but doesn’t work, yet.
    06-09-2017 10:06 AM
    From the first message of this thread I was only thinking there two option that make me think it's mandatory to answer right away:

1. You are a Taxi driver and people is requesting your services, and.

2. You are a rally driver and the information is given by text and calls

LOL
    06-09-2017 04:03 PM
    From the first message of this thread I was only thinking there two option that make me think it's mandatory to answer right away:

1. You are a Taxi driver and people is requesting your services, and.

2. You are a rally driver and the information is given by text and calls

LOL
    You’re in the car and going to pick up someone, but instead of location A, they are at location B and you need to know that because when you answer the call when your at location A, you could have saved yourself 120 miles of rerouting to location B.

You’re in the car and your employer calls you: you can stay at home.

You’re in the car and going to a customer/client. Your employer calls you to let you know the appointment is cancelled for whatever reason.

You are in your car and your kid gets sick in class, you need to get to the ER, pronto.

You are in the car and your wife calls. Her water just broke.

Shall I continue?? There are millions of reasons to answer a phone call. Sometimes holding it to your ear, sometimes using hands free. Depending on the situation.
    Ospot and bluesqueen23 like this.
    06-09-2017 04:20 PM
    You’re in the car and going to pick up someone, but instead of location A, they are at location B and you need to know that because when you answer the call when your at location A, you could have saved yourself 120 miles of rerouting to location B.

You’re in the car and your employer calls you: you can stay at home.

You’re in the car and going to a customer/client. Your employer calls you to let you know the appointment is cancelled for whatever reason.

You are in your car and your kid gets sick in class, you need to get to the ER, pronto.

You are in the car and your wife calls. Her water just broke.

Shall I continue?? There are millions of reasons to answer a phone call. Sometimes holding it to your ear, sometimes using hands free. Depending on the situation.
    LOL

Please continue

And all of that happen while you were driving over a bridge so you weren't able to pull over hahaha.

lol

EDIT:

and it happens all days everyday hahahaha
    06-09-2017 05:01 PM
    LOL

Please continue

And all of that happen while you were driving over a bridge so you weren't able to pull over hahaha.

lol

EDIT:

and it happens all days everyday hahahaha
    Why would you pull over? It’s not a social call that’s gonna last hours. Not everybody needs to be babied by law and people that even don’t have a drivers license. There are many many situations in which you can perfectly have a short phone call behind the wheels. It is your own responsibility to analyze the traffic you’re in and to choose between answering and not answering a call.
    06-09-2017 05:06 PM
    Why would you pull over? It’s not a social call that’s gonna last hours. Not everybody needs to be babied by law and people that even don’t have a drivers license. There are many many situations in which you can perfectly have a short phone call behind the wheels. It is your own responsibility to analyze the traffic you’re in and to choose between answering and not answering a call.
    You didn't continue (and I even said "please") lol.

Well I'm not in a hurry, I can pull over, also I can follow the rules, that's not a problem.

It won't happen to me everyday anyways, at least that MY situation as I stated in my first answer:

...that make ME think it's...
    I'm sorry that it looks like you are living a more complicated live than mine. LOL
    06-09-2017 05:21 PM
    You didn't continue (and I even said "please") lol.

Well I'm not in a hurry, I can pull over, also I can follow the rules, that's not a problem.

It won't happen to me everyday anyways, at least that MY situation as I stated in my first answer:

I'm sorry that it looks like you are living a more complicated live than mine. LOL
    You are obviously missing the point of this thread.

It’s about leaving the ability to answer a phone call to the driver instead of completely blocking any and all calls. It doesn’t matter if it happens every day or once in a lifetime if it’s the latter.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    06-09-2017 05:25 PM
    I totally got it, I also read the comments and suggestions and basically the problem is solved, options were given.

That's why I also made a kind of joke about it, even when looks like someone didn't got I was joking about it and continued joking about it, because we are here to bring a answers and some fun, not bad attitude.

Even if you were trying to correct me for the joke I made about how I imagined myself in that situation, I feel like I touched a nerve or something, sorry if this is too sensitive man, it's just a comment in a forum where are about 1000 comments daily, relax.

Sorry again man.
    06-09-2017 05:39 PM
    Good thing that it's not a mandatory feature then.
    Tartarus likes this.
    06-09-2017 09:16 PM
    Good thing that it's not a mandatory feature then.
    And I really hope that it will never come to that.

There are studies saying that handsfree calling is as distracting as calling with a handheld to your ears. But none of these studies mention the use of car stereos, navigation system and such.
    It’s like they are on crusade against mobile devices in general in traffic. Those studies have lost their credibility in my eyes. It’s almost like it’s written by people with tinfoil hats.
    06-09-2017 09:20 PM
64 123