iOS 11 person-to-person payments!

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
This is a feature that I'm on the fence on... It seems cool, but I don't know how practical it is for me at this time. In my area, Apple Pay is still rarely enough used that I get comments when I use mine. The kid at McDonald's was pretty excited the other night because he hadn't had anyone use a watch to pay yet, and that's in a pretty affluent small town!

I think it's good to have the means in place, it may just be something that will take longer for wider adoption.

I think the most important thing to take away from this is that is doesn't rely on establishments updating their hardware.
The way I see myself using this feature is when I'm out for a meal with friends or family and everyone wants to pay what they own rather than splitting evenly.
The bill comes to me and I send my money to the "designated pay person" via Apple Pay which then sits on the Apple Pay Cash Card (APCC) on their phone which they move into their bank.

Using whatever method they then choose they pay for the meal.
That person then doesn't have to chase money from people and isn't out of pocket as transfers are instant.

I also plan on using it to transfer money to my daughter so she can use an APCC to pay for things when she is out without giving her access to my credit cards.
It also means I know that she can have access to money in an emergency with a simple iMessage

bigtruck1369

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I think the most important thing to take away from this is that is doesn't rely on establishments updating their hardware.
The way I see myself using this feature is when I'm out for a meal with friends or family and everyone wants to pay what they own rather than splitting evenly.
The bill comes to me and I send my money to the "designated pay person" via Apple Pay which then sits on the Apple Pay Cash Card (APCC) on their phone which they move into their bank.

That person then doesn't have to chase money from people and isn't out of pocket as transfers are instant.

I also plan on using it to transfer money to my daughter so she can use an APCC to pay for things when she is out without giving her access to my credit cards.
It also means I know that she can have access to money in an emergency with a simple iMessage

I agree that it does seem like it will work well, but my question was more about users than vendors. Not many people in my area actually use Apple Pay, so I think it will take some time for others to adopt so that I could use the peer-to-peer stuff.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree that it does seem like it will work well, but my question was more about users than vendors. Not many people in my area actually use Apple Pay, so I think it will take some time for others to adopt so that I could use the peer-to-peer stuff.

Oh definitely. P2P is a very new concept compared to manually typing in account numbers and sort codes into an app or... dare I say... cash (shudder) is still the norm which will take some getting use to

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

I agree 100%. That is the perfect case for this, and what I thought of immediately when it was announced. There are definitely other uses (i.e. wife and I recently booked a trip with some friends, and they don't use paypal so we wrote them a check to cover our half, wouldn't have to do that with this), but splitting a dinner will probably be the most used.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73