iOS 11 person-to-person payments!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Probably the neatest thing I saw when iOS 11 was getting the on-stage treatment today was the person-to-person payment system offered via Apple Pay. So cool.

Could see this being EXTREMELY useful. It's baked into iMessage as an app, and allows you to send and receive money super quick, with money going direct to your wallet where you can save it, spend it, or transfer it to your bank.

What did you think of it?

larsonage

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree. That was the best thing from the keynote. I was hoping for a dark theme or even file management system for iPhone.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I like it and great timing as my bank is finally enrolled.

If it works as intended I will no longer need PayPal

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
This was the thing I was most interested in from the whole presentation. I also like the living image editing options. My wife wanted to do some of that last week, and we found an app that did it, but it is nice it is built in now.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If anyone wants to test this to ensure it works, let me know. I'll sacrifice myself and accept any payments sent my way for testing purposes. :cool:

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I would. I have Samsung users who pay me via PayPal. And not all iPhone users have a bank that offers Pay.

It's easy to get carried away and forget most of the world doesn't use Apple devices.

It's a nice feature, but I'd rather they wrote me a check I could deposit directly into my bank account. I'd honestly be pretty pissed if someone payed me by this method.

How are you supposed to get this into your bank account? Details are completely absent. Hard to get excited when we really don't have much information.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It's easy to get carried away and forget most of the world doesn't use Apple devices.

It's a nice feature, but I'd rather they wrote me a check I could deposit directly into my bank account. I'd honestly be pretty pissed if someone payed me by this method.

How are you supposed to get this into your bank account? Details are completely absent. Hard to get excited when we really don't have much information.

Pay is connected to your bank account. Everything what happens on Pay happens on your bank account. No further details necessary

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I think this sounds really great, and if I can convince my husband to use Apple Pay, this would be neat to use!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I've got my bank card registered. So it would go directly into my bank account.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've got my bank card registered. So it would go directly into my bank account.

I as well. But what you're saying is an assumption. Apple didn't say that. I want to know how it works from them, specifically. It's kind of important.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I as well. But what you're saying is an assumption. Apple didn't say that. I want to know how it works from them, specifically. It's kind of important.

Apparently the money goes to an Apple Pay cash card (basically a digital debit card). From there you can transfer it directly to your bank. This isn't a new feature by any means. Just new to Apple.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
They said you can pull it out and transfer it to your bank. That wording is very odd to me. As I've stated. I need an explanation from them.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
It might come in handy at times. I use PayPal a lot: all my freelance work is paid through that service. I have no complaints—zero issues with PayPal the past decade—but, of course, I wouldn't mind being paid without a % taken out. Do we know if Apple will be doing this without a fee? I don't recall that mentioned.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
They said you can pull it out and transfer it to your bank. That wording is very odd to me. As I've stated. I need an explanation from them.

Like I said, this technology isn't new. This seems to work just like all the other services doing the same exact thing work. Money goes to a digital debit card. From that, you can transfer the money into your bank account or make purchases from that digital debit card. Similar to PayPal or Square or all the other services doing the same exact thing.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Like I said...

(see previous post)

Pretty sure I can use my bank account and routing number at PayPal, which makes sense.

I can't remember any time I was asked for a debit card number for a deposit.